Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek: Discovery

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    one step backward for having the Big Bad of the season be Black Klingons!
    Of the 5 actors/actresses playing Klingons that I can find names for, 4 are white.

I haven't watched anything since the first season of Voyager but I heard at some point they started including Beastie Boys songs, so you guys should have something to look forward to.

I don't watch much, if anything on CBS to begin with; some 60 Minutes, Undercover Boss (which I think ran it's course), and football. So I'll pass on paying. Would have been better if the show was set a few hundred years forward, perhaps without the Klingon storyline. Again. Gotta believe there is other alien life in this vast universe that doesn't have our best interests in their minds.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Well, hate to go against the grain, but I liked it ! Plook 'the cannon' BS, I've never been that much of a nerd to let it bother me. Yes, I saw TOS in it's first run, but it's been downhill ever since then. Deep Stain 9, Bacula's Enterprise, etc. I jumped ship long ago. But the new series shows a lot of potential. The Klingon story arc is just starting ! Special effects are over the top....but, sorry, that's not a bad thing. Try to enjoy the eye candy, that's what it is and that's what it's for. Its something called 'entertainment'. That's what Hollywood and TV does. It's not War And Peace or a religion. Sheesh ! As Shatner says, "Get a life, people". (Where's that Youtube clip?)
    Quite a varied group of characters, and character development is just starting. I like the conflict between the captain and the first O, but, hey, that's over now ! They're not afraid to kill off crewmembers ! (Was she wearing a red shirt/uniform? LOL ! The 14 different Klingon 'clans' looks like there's more conflict to come too. I'll keep watching, lots of action/storylines to come.

And , of course, this is just my opinion, your mileage may vary.......and now, back to YOUR opinion.....

I don't think you're going against the grain as many on the internet have expressed their enjoyment with the pilot. My only issue with your opinion, Tom, is that you're getting close to mischaracterizing those who are critical of it as needing to "get a life". Speaking for myself, I have a life-long investment in the franchise and my occupation is in creating media and video production (so I understand the process), but I am simply looking to be entertained as you say. It failed for me ymmv.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I could be wrong but I think the biggest turn off of this show is having to subscribe to see it. I'd watch it if it was in syndication on free TV like all the other shows. I cut cable months ago and bought a 30 dollar digital antenna. Now I get All Startrek (TOS thru Enterprise) 6 nights a week on the H&I channel.

^most people feel this way. And look forward to the CBS All Access format to fail.

The Orville is free. Nuff said.

I saw an episode of The Orville. When is it on, Sunday or Thursday? Haven't heard/seen much advertising at all about the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I could be wrong but I think the biggest turn off of this show is having to subscribe to see it.
    TBH, I think that comes in 2nd. I think the radical changes to what Trek fans come to expect and older generation resistance to change (think prog fans stuck in the 70s) come first. With that said, the subscription factor definitely exacerbates the other. If it was free to watch, more people would give it time to play out as you suggest.

I think the Orville was moved to Thursday. The network wasn't very clear on that so I missed the last episode.

CBS missed the boat on Hulu when the other broadcast networks jumped in. Now the old guys in charge decided they need one of those new fangled streaming things all the kids are watching and they're committed to this trainwreck.

If they wanted to make this Trekker happy they should have jettisoned the "takes place ten years before the original series" bullshit. I'd much rather see them pick up the story after Voyager ended. Let's go boldy forward.

Another elephant in the room is one we discussed in the Science Fiction group. The Expanse totally blows this away. Better writing, twisted plot, the science doesn't make you go crazy, and truly better characters.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    If they wanted to make this Trekker happy they should have jettisoned the "takes place ten years before the original series" bullshit. I'd much rather see them pick up the story after Voyager ended. Let's go boldy forward.
    I tend to agree. At least on Enterprise, it was early enough that they were a little technically handcuffed in comparison to TOS. They also did a fair job of slowly introducing alien races over time to the show, in slightly re-imagined format.

But there is a whole "Star Trek Universe" to explore and 50 years of reference material. It would be nice if that had been explored.

Another elephant in the room is one we discussed in the Science Fiction group. The Expanse totally blows this away. Better writing, twisted plot, the science doesn't make you go crazy, and truly better characters.
    I haven't seen it. I'll put it on my list.

I haven't seen it. I'll put it on my list.
    Season one is now free on Amazon Prime.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Yeah, I admit I didn't pay to see it. I hate buying a CD or LP without hearing a bit of it, so I can understand people expecting at least $ 5.00 worth of TV. But I'm afraid most of the controversy is due to the obsessive CULT OF PERSONALITY the show has developed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_of_personality

I can see where the cosplay Trek conventioneers would 'dislike' Seth's version too. My world wasn't smashed by my expectations as I watched it. But, hey, that's just me. I'm just an insignificant speck of diversity in the universe of sheeple....(Hmmmm, my new sig line ??) It's almost as if TOS was creationism and the others are evolutionary ---oops, can't go there.....sorry....I really like the Trek philosophy/worldview, it is part of my life, but it's not my religion. I'm not going to get all messianic over it.....Star Trek Discovery - I even like the title. I hope it doesn't turn into another Star Trek Rehash ....

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I grew up watching the original series, and watched each new series as they came around. Liked TOS and TNG best, although I admit much of TOS seems corny when viewed 50 years later. I have also seen every Star Trek motion picture. I never saw Enterprise, though. Never even heard about it, as far as I can recall. Was it, like the new series Discovery, a streaming or cable show? That would explain my never seeing it.

As a series pilot, I found Discovery too weak to draw in an audience of long time Star Trek fans like myself. It wasn't bad to reboot Star Trek, but it should have been done in a less boring manner. Who didn't know the Klingons were warlike? I don't mind reading subtitles, but they went on far too long without any great substance. As did much of the remainder of the show, IMO. Maybe it will improve. Also, it could have used some clue as to the timeline. Where does Discovery fit in with the other Star Trek series and movies? Is Sarek still alive, or does he exist only as a hologram? Will we learn the answers before we fall asleep, or before we have to pay to watch?

I noted Michelle Yeoh was listed as a guest star, so I assume her character is to be killed off soon. In what military-style organization, such as the Federation, is it considered OK to knock out your commanding officer? And not be punished in the least? I don't think the late veteran Gene Roddenberry would approve of that. Why didn't Michelle Yeoh kung fu the shit out of the Vulcan wannabe? That might have been exciting.

A while back CBS promoted a show that sounded interesting enough to watch. Then, during the pilot episode, they introduced their streaming service and said all future episodes could only be seen there. A dirty trick. I wonder how that show fared, considering I can't remember anything about it now? At least with Discovery, I was wise to their game and expected they were just trying to draw in an audience of Trek fans to part with their money through pay-to-stream. I don't have cable tv, and even if I did I would not pay extra to see a show with so many commercials. Especially one that may forever be referred to as...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo
    STD
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscured
    60 Minutes
    There's a show that started out with a modicum of balls and has now been reduced to yet another tabloid. The most recent 60 Minutes featured Oprah Winfrey hosting a discussion. I can't watch any more.

Gotta believe there is other alien life in this vast universe that doesn't have our best interests in their minds.
    That would include television networks and television programmers.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012
    I saw an episode of The Orville. When is it on, Sunday or Thursday?
    They keep moving it to different nights with each episode, in a desperate attempt to lose their audience.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

ewiser
    I enjoyed the show watched both episodes. The future of tv is streaming and pay services so I just watch the shows knowing that in the future there will not be many “free” tv shows that are worth watching. The previews of the upcoming episodes looked great and I enjoyed seeing all the tech and special effects. Would love to see a Star Wars live action in the future on Disney’s new streaming service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Everyone keeps saying how everything is going to move to pay content (heard it on sports talk radio this morning too) that I fear it may take on the nature of a self-fulfilling prophecy. All I can say is, I will never again pay to watch the ridiculous volume of commercials that have overrun programmed television. I'll dump it and watch DVDs. Maybe get to the backlog of books that I assumed would never get read.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    The Orville is free.
    One viewing reveals why.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    They keep moving [The Orville] to different nights with each episode, in a desperate attempt to lose their audience.
    They needn't worry!

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Everyone keeps saying how everything is going to move to pay content (heard it on sports talk radio this morning too) that I fear it may take on the nature of a self-fulfilling prophecy. All I can say is, I will never again pay to watch the ridiculous volume of commercials that have overrun programmed television. I'll dump it and watch DVDs. Maybe get to the backlog of books that I assumed would never get read.
    In our 19 years of marriage my wife and I have never paid for cable or a streaming service (or tried using "free" online streaming services). We do, though, borrow dvds from our local library (and occasionally from a friend) and have enjoyed watching a number of series over the years including Lost, 24, Call the Mid-Wife, Sherlock, Fringe, Enterprise, Person of Interest, etc. etc. No cost, no commercials and plenty of time left to read and play board games, which we love doing.

Granted, I miss some sports, but do manage to catch some games at a neighbor's or family/friend's places.

All I can say is, I will never again pay to watch the ridiculous volume of commercials that have overrun programmed television. I'll dump it and watch DVDs. Maybe get to the backlog of books that I assumed would never get read.
    I'm with you. The commercials I can deal with, it's the idea of paying a subscription to stream content, or even basic cable that bothers me. I can live without TV if I had to. I haven't watched Monday Night Football in 3 years or more. Screw them.

All I can say is, I will never again pay to watch the ridiculous volume of commercials that have overrun programmed television. I'll dump it and watch DVDs.
    How long before they start inserting commercials into DVDs? I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I like Seth McFarlane but jeez, the guy has had to weather years of being second fiddle to the Simpsons and even being accused of stealing from the Simpsons. So now comes his version of a comical farce set in the future aboard a space ship - sure looks like he's aping Futurama here.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    They keep moving it to different nights with each episode, in a desperate attempt to lose their audience.
    You 'keep' saying that.
    They debuted on a couple of Sundays after football and moved it to Thursday where it's supposed to remain.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    I haven't watched anything since the first season of Voyager but I heard at some point they started including Beastie Boys songs, so you guys should have something to look forward to.
    So Star Trek Voyager is supposed to take place in the '80s?