Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Cooking- Share Your Best

Winter Cooking- Share Your Best

Hopefully you have some chestnuts to share and roast!

Recently made Italian Sausage Soup and Jambalaya - and both came out awesome. I'll post the recipes later.

Great topic, Sean!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I'm gonna do a pot roast this weekend. It's one of my favorite winter things to do. The key is to caramelize the veggies first (carrots, parsnips, garlic cloves, boiling onions, potatoes, and brown mushrooms). Put them aside and caramelize the chuck roast. Then dump it all in with the water and spices (I use a couple of bay leaves and a few black peppercorns). Set heat to low: eight hours later, take it all out and reduce the juice to a thick gravy (I add a couple of tablespoons of starch already dissolved in water). Put it all back together and serve!

There's no quick way to a good pot roast.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I've always made mine with Onion Soup Mix and Cream of Mushroom Soup - with about a 1/2 cup of red wine (this can be adjusted, of course).

Also makes a great gravy, etc.

And you're completely correct - a good pot roast takes time.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Here is my XMAS standing rib roast from last year. Best ever and believe it or not it was cooked in an oven that was turned off.

IMG_3113.jpgIMG_3116.jpgIMG_3117.jpg

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun! proggrl's Avatar
    My recipes usually only require three things keys, a car and a decision.
    The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

The Best Damn Lentil Soup In The Universe (sez me, as this is my recipe)

4 tablespoons olive oil
    2 cups diced onion
    1/4 cup fresh pressed garlic cloves
    1 cup diced celery
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 pounds lentils, picked over to remove stones/twigs/debris, and rinsed
    4 quarts vegetable stock
    5 large bay leaves
    Fennel seed
    Fresh thyme
    Fresh rosemary
    2 cups thick-sliced crimini mushrooms
    Tamari, black pepper, and a dash of Liquid Smoke to taste.

Add the olive oil to a 12-quart pot over medium heat. When the oil has heated, add the onion, celery, garlic, and salt. Sweat until the onions are translucent. Add the lentils, broth, and bay leaves; stir. Increase the heat to high and bring almost to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook at a low simmer until the lentils are tender, about 40 minutes to an hour.

During the last twenty minutes of cooking time, add the crimini mushrooms, the fennel seed (no more than 3/4 of a teaspoon), the fresh thyme and fresh rosemary, the black pepper, the Liquid Smoke, and the tamari. Stir, continue to cook, turn off heat, and let sit for about twenty minutes. Stir again, and serve with big hunks of crusty semolina bread. You can feed 12 out of this recipe. It is cheap and utterly delicious fare: real "rich peasant" stuff.

Another way I love to serve this is over rotini, rotelle, or linguine---a fair approximation of my nonna's pasta e lenticchie. She would sprinkle it with Locatelli pecorino romano and leave us to fight over it.
    Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

Quote Originally Posted by proggrl View Post
    My recipes usually only require three things keys, a car and a decision.
    Paul and Elizabeth's!
    Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

That lentil soup looks great!

A coworker is always bringing leftover goulash for his lunch, so I had to try my hand at a recipe since I had never made it. Decided to start with Paula Deen's recipe. It's pretty damn good!

http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/view2/bobbys_goulash/

Another winter fave uses an electric skillet. Use your choice of chicken or pork chops, rub with olive oil and spices,salt and pepper, at least, brown sides of meat, add cubed potatoes, diced celery,onion slices,then cream of mushroom soup mix so it covers meat and veggies. Dont be afraid to add extra water...it cooks down. Season with salt and pepper or whatever. Cover.Turn heat down to low. Cook until veggies are tender, may take an hour or so. One can use other veggies like mushrooms too as well os other cream of soups.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I make a soup based loosely on a soup I had at Olive Garden. I think they call it Tuscan Chilly or something.

Its painfully simple. The base is one part chilly to two parts marinara sauce, add water to desired consistency. I usually add Italian sausage, cheese tortellini, sautéed zucchini and/or mushrooms and a medley of Mediterranean type vegetables, maybe some diced tomato's or red kidney beans, depending on your chilly/marinara mix. Of course, the better the ingredients, the better the soup. You can use meatballs instead of sausage, but the sausage adds spice and emboldens the stock. I've flirted with the idea adding a cream of "whatever" to it but haven't yet. This same recipe can be tweaked for a good goulash as well. Keeps and reheats well.
    Last edited by 3LockBox; 11-06-2012 at 11:01 AM.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by PindralProgger View Post
    That lentil soup looks great!
    Thank you---it is so filling and warming, as well as delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    The key is to caramelize the veggies.... caramelize the chuck roast
    this step adds such a robust, rustic flavor; people who skip this step have simply never tried it. Many just throw everything in a crock-pot and walk away.
    There's no quick way to a good pot roast.
    truth
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by Jay G View Post
    Here is my XMAS standing rib roast from last year. Best ever and believe it or not it was cooked in an oven that was turned off.

IMG_3113.jpgIMG_3116.jpgIMG_3117.jpg
    Ok, I'll bite... Did you pre-heat the oven to its highest temp, then shut it off?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I make a soup based loosely on a soup I had at Olive Garden. I think they call it Tuscan Chilly or something.

Its painfully simple. The base is one part chilly to two parts marinara sauce, add water to desired consistency. I usually add Italian sausage, cheese tortellini, sautéed zucchini and/or mushrooms and a medley of Mediterranean type vegetables, maybe some diced tomato's or red kidney beans, depending on your chilly/marinara mix. Of course, the better the ingredients, the better the soup. You can use meatballs instead of sausage, but the sausage adds spice and emboldens the stock. I've flirted with the idea adding a cream of "whatever" to it but haven't yet. This same recipe can be tweaked for a good goulash as well. Keeps and reheats well.

Okay - when you say, "one part chilly," what, exactly, are you talking about? I've never heard of "chilly." Are you referring to "chili," in which case, are you then referring to canned chili, like Dinty Moore?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Recently made and Jambalaya - came out awesome. I'll post the recipes later.

Here's the Jambalaya Recipe.

The only change I make is that I add two bay leaves, which I remove before serving.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Recently made Italian Sausage Soup
    I'd like to know how to make that, Scott. Sounds good. Last week we had some (Webb Wilder's) Jambalaya. This morning I had some leftover baked ham, so I made a Denver scramble. Same as a Denver Omelet, but with less culinary skill involved. Scrambled eggs, bell pepper, onion, ham.

I'll post that one later, Alan.

Coincidentally, I'm having some leftover sausage soup for lunch today - it's freezing here today!!!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Here's the Jambalaya Recipe.

The only change I make is that I add two bay leaves, which I remove before serving.
    Sounds good. I'll have to try that one. Our slow cooker gets a workout every winter.

Eastern European cuisine
    - Sauerkraut soup with Porcini mushrooms and Kielbasa
    - Smoked pork knuckles jelly
    - Venison goulash with bread dumplings
    - Pirogy

Okay - when you say, "one part chilly," what, exactly, are you talking about? I've never heard of "chilly." Are you referring to "chili," in which case, are you then referring to canned chili, like Dinty Moore?
    stupid auto-spell correct yes, I meant chili. I gotta watch what I type on this phone.

You could use canned chili. Like I said, better ingredients, better soup. A quality mass produced brand should suffice. I'll make my own marinara every once in a while, but you can 'dress up' a store-bought brand as well. This soup can take as much time as you want.

Interesting.

I'm gonna have to try that.

As the weather turns colder, I eat soup like crazy.

That jambalaya recipe looks good Scott. You ever serve it in a sour dough bread bowl?

No, only over rice.

But now you've given me the idea...

I tend to hearty Chilli's and stews.

Don't bother with recipes I just wing it with whatever is on hand.

D