Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porcupine Tree live albums now on Bandcamp

Porcupine Tree live albums now on Bandcamp

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Thanks for the info!

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

Check them out. Wilson's cleaned up the tracks beautifully and all have pristine sound. He also just added the complete 2007 BBC session promoting Fear Of A Blank Planet. This includes songs from the session that had not been previously released. I love Porcupine Tree and pray for a return some day, although it is highly unlikely. One curious thing I did notice. Under the band description, it says PT is a band..., not PT was a band....etc. Present tense, not past tense? Maybe there's still hope. Or maybe Steven's being a cruel teaser?
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I think the PT ship sailed along time ago and will never again dock.

Great!!

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Check them out. Wilson's cleaned up the tracks beautifully and all have pristine sound. He also just added the complete 2007 BBC session promoting Fear Of A Blank Planet. This includes songs from the session that had not been previously released. I love Porcupine Tree and pray for a return some day, although it is highly unlikely. One curious thing I did notice. Under the band description, it says PT is a band..., not PT was a band....etc. Present tense, not past tense? Maybe there's still hope. Or maybe Steven's being a cruel teaser?
    And thanks both!!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

I'm a sucker for any recordings of my favorite bands in their earliest stages. Downloading the first ever show right now. Thanks for the heads up.

Really cool that they have the XM sessions on there. I ripped these two from the radio long ago, and they've always been in my playlists. Check 'em out.

https://porcupinetreeofficial.bandca...-in-a-layby-xm
    https://porcupinetreeofficial.bandca...ck/fadeaway-xm

Always loved that Fadeaway with Wes vocals.

Some wonderful stuff being made available and more titles being added. Notice some have been added since original releases made available.

Two more releases on the PT Bandcamp page. One is an extension of the 1997 Coma Divine live album in Rome. The second is a never released live show from Los Angeles in 2003. Keep 'em coming Steven. Any new (old) PT is always a gift.

https://porcupinetreeofficial.bandca...coda-rome-1997
    https://porcupinetreeofficial.bandca...30th-july-2003

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Any new (old) PT is always a gift.
    QFT.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Roddenberry posted this on FB, I missed it last time I visited the Bandcamp page. First live performance!

https://porcupinetreeofficial.bandca...e-4th-dec-1993
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Roddenberry posted this on FB, I missed it last time I visited the Bandcamp page. First live performance!

https://porcupinetreeofficial.bandca...e-4th-dec-1993
    Sweet. SW had a long way to go as a singer, but otherwise there's not that much distance between this and the performances on Coma Divine.

EDIT: I gather that some of these recordings from the Nag's Head club in High Wycombe formed part of PT's first ever live release, Spiral Circus (cassette 1994, vinyl 1997), long since OOP. Spiral Circus also included live recordings from the BBC and the Borderline in London. The BBC stuff is on YouTube, but one wonders if the Borderline DATs don't sit next to the Nag's Head tape on a shelf in SW's studio.
    Last edited by Paulrus; 05-11-2020 at 04:45 PM.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I've been loving this trove from the PT vaults that is getting dumped on bandcamp. Great stuff.
    American Hollow - my prog band.

I received an email from bandcamp this morning announcing another new live recording from Porcupine Tree. It's called IndigO2 (2008), described in the blurb as being recorded in London just after the filming of the show in The Netherlands that would be released as Anesthetize. I dutifully bought it and downloaded a ~2.6GB file containing the 96K/24-bit tracks. I'm enjoying this performance so far, despite having a number of live recordings from this era. It's listed as being mixed in September. I wonder if Wilson did the work himself. There's no production credit on the website.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Lots of these concerts are turning up on YouTube as well.

I listened to Indig02 in its entirety last night and was blown away. Gee I miss P Tree. IMO the band peaked in 2008. I guess Steven wanted to move on, and I really enjoyed his solo albums up to Raven, but I've moved on from him since what I've heard so far from his up coming album really lets me down. His prog spirit has seemed to evaporate.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Is this going to be basically Stars Die on steroids?

It's interesting to me how in all of the promotional text, SW is quoted talking about Porcupine Tree in the present tense. As in "the band is very excited...", like they're still a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Is this going to be basically Stars Die on steroids?

It's interesting to me how in all of the promotional text, SW is quoted talking about Porcupine Tree in the present tense. As in "the band is very excited...", like they're still a thing.
    They're probably very excited to earn some money

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Hope this isn't info duplicated elsewhere in PE (I have done a search) - recent posts from PT's FB page:

"PorcupineTree.com has been completely redesigned by Crystal Spotlight! The new official PT website features the latest news from the band, in-depth discography pages, a video archive and more."

"A new official Porcupine Tree YouTube channel is now live, featuring music videos, live videos and live visual films from the band’s history. Several music videos, including ‘Time Flies’, ‘Fear of a Blank Planet’, ‘Normal’ and more have been visually remastered, with some now available to watch in 4K and HD for the first time. https://lnk.to/PT-YouTube"

I wonder if these actions were instigated by Richard Barbieri who, it appears, was behind the establishment of PT's Bandcamp presence:

"How did the decision to expand Porcupine Tree to Bandcamp come about?

My idea. Since the presence of PT music on Spotify is something I’ve always voted and argued against, I thought why not make available some of PT’s rare or live music on a platform that actually would make us some money. So I put that to the band and they agreed to give this a try and it’s been worthwhile of course.

Music to me has a monetary value and there should be no shame in wanting to be paid for your work and talent. It means more to me if 10 people bought a cd as opposed to 1000 people giving it a listen for free." per https://carolinaskeletons.wordpress....hard-barbieri/

As Steve says above, I think certain band members will be excited to earn some money.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    Hope this isn't info duplicated elsewhere in PE (I have done a search) - recent posts from PT's FB page:
    Someone needs to start a thread about this. Rumors of a PT reunion are running wild.

Someone needs to start a thread about this. Rumors of a PT reunion are running wild.
    Well, that certainly was something I thought about when I saw the big splash on Facebook and Twitter yesterday, announcing the newly designed social media sites and the limited edition vinyl release of their "House of Blues" album (previously released digitally on Bandcamp as "Los Angeles 30th July 2003"). I bought the digital version from Bandcamp yesterday. I've listened to about half of it; it's an excellent concert recording.

But, all of this activity does make one wonder about what, if anything, is upcoming for the group.
    Last edited by jefftiger; 05-11-2021 at 02:56 PM.

The double blue vinyl House Of Blues was just too tempting for me, so I’m pleased to read that it is a stellar recording. Great set list from a wonderful era for the band.

I saw someone speculating on FB that SW's next album, a self-described "rock album... with the guitar" (see below), would be a PT project.

"What do we have to look forward to with your forthcoming book and two new studio albums?

The book is different to most other music books. I thought, “OK, if I’m going to do this, I want to try and do something different.” It’s a book that has everything in it from short stories, to an autobiography, to my thoughts about music, my thoughts about the art of listening to my relationship with my fan base, which is quite the unique and strange relationship. I tried to write about all of these things and knit it all together in a cohesive way. I hope its a bit of an adventure.

The next record I’m doing is a rock album. Its something with the guitar. The one after that is the complete opposite. I’ve already got three or four songs for that album. It’ll be almost completely electronic, very much taking “KING GHOST” as a starting point." (per https://carolinaskeletons.wordpress....IjhHyzBMri4LJw)
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01