Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheer Accident

Was just about to say - hey its Joe P! Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    PE guys attending Cheer-Accident, Sputnik, Mrs Sputnik, Rick L. Not a member here but Joe Paradiso is a regular at prog events, RIO and the like.
    Nice picture. LOL @ "Mrs. Sputnik"!

It was nice seeing/meeting everyone. I liked that venue a lot, even though they didn't have it set up particularly well for a show like this (didn't really need a dance floor, LOL!). I also liked Rabbit Rabbit Radio, though I think they could benefit from some additional instrumentation (oddly, there was not a bass player on stage last night between the three bands). Carla's talent definitely shines as a focal point, but a little more musical interplay I think would help, and that's hard with just the two melodic voices (guitar and violin).

In all honesty, I was a little underwhelmed with Cheer-Accident. Great players all, especially the trombone player, who I really enjoyed listening to. But they only played like an hour, and I felt the show lacked direction and didn't have a particularly good "arc." I think they lost a lot of people doing a bit too much noodly improv stuff in the middle of the show. You expect a certain amount of this at a C-A show, but I think the balance was off a bit this particular night, especially for such a short stage time. The band never got really cranking like they did when I saw them in Dorchester years ago. So for me, not terrible and I still had a good time overall, but not really a knockout performance in my book.

Bill

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I've seen Rabbit Rabbit three times now and that's the first time it's been more than Carla and Matthias. The guitar was a great add, I was surprised to find out that it was Jeremy Flowers who released a superb solo album with an all star avant guest list a couple of years ago.

Cheer-Accident were very different. I agree with Bill's assessment, I've seen them twice before at RIO and both those performances were more cohesive. I quickly decided to put myself in the mindset of just absorbing it as performance art & that helped me really enjoy it. Bizarrely the best bit was probably the walk around horns bit with the unexpected addition of Carla's kids screaming as they were made to leave the venue, their howls seemed to fit the music beautifully.

Mission Creep were also fun with wonky jazz, again no bass, always good to see a drummer in a Magma shirt.

A very good night and great to see guys at the gig, high five from Carla probably made my night. Rabbit Rabbit were my favorite performance.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I've seen Rabbit Rabbit three times now and that's the first time it's been more than Carla and Matthias. The guitar was a great add, I was surprised to find out that it was Jeremy Flowers who released a superb solo album with an all star avant guest list a couple of years ago.
    Wow! OK, then, I'm glad I caught this gig as I'd have felt even more this way without the guitar and likely would have enjoyed it way less. And yes, Jeremy was fantastic! I figured he was a fixture in the band, I can't imagine the music without him. I'll check out his solo album!

Cheer-Accident were very different. I agree with Bill's assessment, I've seen them twice before at RIO and both those performances were more cohesive. I quickly decided to put myself in the mindset of just absorbing it as performance art & that helped me really enjoy it. Bizarrely the best bit was probably the walk around horns bit with the unexpected addition of Carla's kids screaming as they were made to leave the venue, their howls seemed to fit the music beautifully.
    That was cool! They needed to get back into something with more energy to follow that, though. You could just feel the energy in the room dissipating and people losing focus. I don't think they ever really got us back after that.

Mission Creep were also fun with wonky jazz, again no bass, always good to see a drummer in a Magma shirt.
    Mission Creep did a couple of cool things. "Lucky Dog," when they finally played it, was good, as was a more high-energy piece with a sort of funky (pre-recorded) bass part that they played later. But a lot of their stuff got really samey to my ears, I think they need a bit more variety, both within the songs and between the songs.

Bill

Agree on Mission Creep but as an opening act in a small 3 band show they were a pleasant surprise.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    (oddly, there was not a bass player on stage last night between the three bands).
    What happened to Dante Kester? He's been with C-A for years, and moved to Chicago to play with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    What happened to Dante Kester? He's been with C-A for years, and moved to Chicago to play with them.
    I was wondering the same thing, I assume life got in the way of this tour.
    Ian

Wow! OK, then, I'm glad I caught this gig as I'd have felt even more this way without the guitar and likely would have enjoyed it way less. And yes, Jeremy was fantastic! I figured he was a fixture in the band, I can't imagine the music without him. I'll check out his solo album!

Bill
    https://jeremyflower.bandcamp.com/album/the-real-me

Band
    Carla Kihlstedt – Vocals, Violin
    Jeremy Flower – Vocals, Guitar, Keyboards
    Jon Evans – Bass
    Matthias Bossi – Drums, Percussion, Vocals
    Abby Swidler – Viola
    Emily Hope Price, Elizabeth Schultze – Cello
    Jeremy Udden – Saxophones
    Alex Sopp – Flute, Piccolo
    Sam Sadigursky – Clarinets
    Louis Schwadron – French Horn
    Ryan Keberle, Brian Drye – Trombone
    Ian

I saw the first three shows this tour. They all had long periods of improvisation that definitely tested the audience's patience. But isn't that just the kind of thing they would do? I mean, I expect that one day they could decide to do something absurd like stand on stage and not play any music at all, etc. In Columbia, Thymme spent about 5 minutes talking through Chicago's discography.

The improv all three nights was very different. I appreciate them taking that kind of risk. Each night had something very interesting come out of the improv, but yes there were moments that seemed a little noodly. I think it's necessary for them to open a decent chunk of time for improv to allow interesting things to happen. I just love that it's hard to predict what a C-A show will be. I had grown accustomed to the lineup the last few years, so I couldn't help but miss it a little. I love improvisation with friends at home, but I'm not really into live improv. So, I also would have preferred less at these shows. But there is a lot to like about this tour, and I kinda wish I would have planned to attend more shows (especially knowing that they are playing other songs I didn't get to hear).

The three shows had significantly different setlists. In Louisville, someone requested Blue Cheadle, so they played a few seconds of it with Jeff intentionally in the wrong guitar tuning. They did a hilarious cover of Under Paris Skies in Knoxville, and a beautiful arrangement of Carla Bley's Utviklingssang in Columbia.

Edit: Oh, and an improv in Knoxville had the audience singing along, and in Columbia Mike conducted a primal, tribal call-and-response with the crowd which was intense and awesome.

Thymme posted that this tour was going to be extremely improvisationally based, "something we've not done before", so I was prepared for it.

Total group, non-jazz improvisation is nearly always a hit and miss (simultaneously as it goes along) type venture for me. YMMV.

I enjoyed their show last week. I hope that they don't do this all the time and I expect that they won't.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Bill
    If you want to checkout guitar based Rabbit Rabbit Radio you should check out their third album where they got rhythm tracks from guest guitarists and build tracks from there. Guest list:-

Fred Frith (Henry Cow, Art Bears, Massacre), Nels Cline (Wilco), Mark Orton (Tin Hat, the Nebraska soundtrack), Shahzad Ismaily (Mark Ribot’s Ceramic Dog, Secret Chiefs 3), Michael Mellender (Sleepytime Gorilla Museum), Ava Mendoza (Unnatural Ways), Joel Hamilton (The Book of Knots, Sasha Dobson), their long-time collaborator Jon Evans (Linda Perry, Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan) and more.

https://rabbitrabbitradio.bandcamp.c...e-wooden-horse
    Ian

Nice picture. LOL @ "Mrs. Sputnik"!
    made me as well.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
    ... a beautiful arrangement of Carla Bley's Utviklingssang in Columbia.
    They played the Carla piece in DC. It was really great.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Band
    Jon Evans – Bass
    Abby Swidler – Viola
    Cool, checking this out, thanks!

If you want to checkout guitar based Rabbit Rabbit Radio you should check out their third album where they got rhythm tracks from guest guitarists and build tracks from there. Guest list:-

Fred Frith (Henry Cow, Art Bears, Massacre), Nels Cline (Wilco), Mark Orton (Tin Hat, the Nebraska soundtrack), Shahzad Ismaily (Mark Ribot’s Ceramic Dog, Secret Chiefs 3), Michael Mellender (Sleepytime Gorilla Museum), Ava Mendoza (Unnatural Ways), Joel Hamilton (The Book of Knots, Sasha Dobson), their long-time collaborator Jon Evans (Linda Perry, Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan) and more.

https://rabbitrabbitradio.bandcamp.c...e-wooden-horse
    Yeah, they played the Michael Mellender song last night. I thought it was one of the best pieces they played, though I couldn't quite tell if the segued into another song or if the piece took a very distinct turn at one point. Either way, I liked that part a lot.

Bill

Band
    Jon Evans – Bass
    Abby Swidler – Viola
    Yeah, one of my favorites from the past few years, regularly in rotation.

I had a nice chat with Jeff after the show. We reminisced about playing together on their last tour. We talked a out how Carla's son yelling, "Give me a dollar bill!" during Cheer-Accident's improv was eerily similar to somebody yelling, "Fuck Pittsburgh!" during my band's improv.* Jeff said the Fuck Pittsburgh incident was one of his favorite memories from that tour, which made me smile.

*We named our improv Fuck Pittsburgh, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I had a nice chat with Jeff after the show. We reminisced about playing together on their last tour. We talked a out how Carla's son yelling, "Give me a dollar bill!" during Cheer-Accident's improv was eerily similar to somebody yelling, "Fuck Pittsburgh!" during my band's improv.* Jeff said the Fuck Pittsburgh incident was one of his favorite memories from that tour, which made me smile.

*We named our improv Fuck Pittsburgh, by the way.

That was not me who yelled "fuck Pittsburgh" (I think it was the bar manager, who basically didn't shut up all night). But I did yell "Skeleton Boat!" and you played it! I think that may have been my favorite Tamandua gig.

Bill

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I had never heard of this or this story:

"Cheer-Accident were also responsible for one of the most surreal commercials to ever air during a White Sox game—a spot intended to promote their 1997 album Enduring the American Dream. A starkly underlit Libersher, filmed in tight close-up with a black-and-white Pixelvision camera, pleads with his alleged off-camera grandma to help him, using a sloppily slurred put-on voice that makes him sound as disturbing as he looks. “Help me,” he says, over and over. “I’m turning into a parrot.” Fade to black, display band name and album title . . . and then back to the baseball."

Couldn't find the advert online. If anyone has a link, please post!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I've seen the commercial, but I can't remember where - might have been in the band's subscription "Past Lives" section.

I've seen the commercial, but I can't remember where - might have been in the band's subscription "Past Lives" section.
    I don't want to lift stuff from their subscription but if you've seen it - is it really as .... perplexing as the article makes it sound?

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I don't want to lift stuff from their subscription but if you've seen it - is it really as .... perplexing as the article makes it sound?

Yeah, it's hard to believe it played on TV! I just went and found it - October 2013 in the subscription. Very dark (lighting-wise) and gritty. Black & white. I didn't know it was Jeff before reading yesterday's article. Basically all you see is his face with like goggles on. He's acting very creepy - like he's doing something weird out of frame... while mumbling "help... help grandma...". It's just the one shot.

Yeah, it's hard to believe it played on TV! I just went and found it - October 2013 in the subscription. Very dark (lighting-wise) and gritty. Black & white. I didn't know it was Jeff before reading yesterday's article. Basically all you see is his face with like goggles on. He's acting very creepy - like he's doing something weird out of frame... while mumbling "help... help grandma...". It's just the one shot.
    Thanks for this!! Yowie.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Yowie.
    Another great band right there!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Hell yeah.
    Ian