Page 52 of 80 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1986

Thread: 2016 NCAA College Football

Should be a helluva game between LSU and OKLA.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Should be a helluva game between LSU and OKLA.
    LSU is blowin' 'em out....

Helluva game! Congrats Clemson.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It was a very good game
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Helluva game! Congrats Clemson.
    Two questionable calls turned the tide of that game. It's almost like they didn't want Ohio State to win.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Must ... not ... bite ....
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It was a very good game
    Agree, that was about as good a football game as you could ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Two questionable calls turned the tide of that game. It's almost like they didn't want Ohio State to win.
    The reversal on the fumble return for touchdown was a horrible call, imo, but if the Buckeyes want to see who is to blame for the loss, they need only look in the mirror. 2 stupid, undisciplined plays swung this game. The targeting penalty and the roughing the punter penalty. On both plays, the Buckeyes were off the field, with Clemson drives stopped, and they gave those drives new life with those crucial errors. Clemson scored touchdowns on both of them. Add to that leaving points on the field in the first half by having to settle for field goals, and it strikes me that OSU's own mistakes & failure to execute were most responsible for them losing the game. I certainly think that it's a game they "should have won," but that only makes the defeat more bitter.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    LSU is blowin' 'em out....
    Oklahoma didn't deserve to be there

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Oklahoma didn't deserve to be there
    Not sure anyone else did either, only three really good teams this year, that's the main problem with the proposed expansion to an 8 team playoff, most years its barely 4 good enough teams.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The reversal on the fumble return for touchdown was a horrible call, imo, but if the Buckeyes want to see who is to blame for the loss, they need only look in the mirror. 2 stupid, undisciplined plays swung this game. The targeting penalty and the roughing the punter penalty. On both plays, the Buckeyes were off the field, with Clemson drives stopped, and they gave those drives new life with those crucial errors. Clemson scored touchdowns on both of them. Add to that leaving points on the field in the first half by having to settle for field goals, and it strikes me that OSU's own mistakes & failure to execute were most responsible for them losing the game. I certainly think that it's a game they "should have won," but that only makes the defeat more bitter.
    I had a problem with the targeting call. If the quarterback stands tall he gets hit in the shoulder but he hunches down bracing for the hit lowering his head after the defender makes his move. Those calls happen in the NFL as well. A prime example was the Bengals/Steelers playoff game a couple years ago when Brown caught a pass and Burfict was already on his path to make the tackle and Brown lowered his head and helmets hit and they took the game away from the Bengals and ejected and fined Burfict which was wrong.

Burfit has used up all of his benefit of the doubt years ago, that's the risk you take when you hire him. The targeting call was tough but they've called it that way all year and the players know. They need to change.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Burfit has used up all of his benefit of the doubt years ago, that's the risk you take when you hire him. The targeting call was tough but they've called it that way all year and the players know. They need to change.
    Running backs do it all the time. How does a defender change his directory after he has already committed. You are going to have defenders getting hurt bad because they can't brace themselves for the contact. I remember they gave Ray Lewis a penalty once because he tackled a player too hard in the end zone. In the end zone if you separate the player from the ball tackling serves no purpose.

The reversal on the fumble return for touchdown was a horrible call, imo, but if the Buckeyes want to see who is to blame for the loss, they need only look in the mirror.
    I agree OSU made too many mistakes; they didn't play a perfect game but they hadn't really all season long, either. But that doesn't negate the fact that if they they hadn't overturned that call, the final score would have been 30-29, assuming the rest of the game went the same way.

Add to that leaving points on the field in the first half by having to settle for field goals...
    This is one of those things that always strikes me as somewhat inaccurate. For a team as good as OSU is, their red zone offense wasn't that good for the season and Clem's red zone defense was much better. On paper, OSU was going to struggle against Clem.

That said, Clem's RZ offense was much worse than OSU's RZ defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I had a problem with the targeting call. If the quarterback stands tall he gets hit in the shoulder but he hunches down bracing for the hit lowering his head after the defender makes his move.
    Yep. I saw that, too. Wade did lower his head but had Lawrence not turned toward him and then hunched down, it wouldn't have been called. Wade would hit him with his right shoulder in the left side. They tried to fix the penalty but it still needs tweaked. This is my problem with the targeting penalty: an offensive player is allowed to lower his head but a defensive player can't. It forces the defensive player to try to tackle a player running upright; it puts too much of a burden on the defensive player to avoid helmet to helmet contact. Maybe what they need to start doing is teaching them how to run through a player the way Jack Tatum did.

BTW, check out these frames from the video of the Wade targeting call:

This isn't hands to the face, is it? (check out the Clem OL #74)
    Attachment 13631

This is a legal block to the back, isn't it?
    Attachment 13630

This isn't grabbing the face mask, is it?
    Attachment 13629

Nor is this:
    Attachment 13628

Look how far Chase Young's helmet was pushed up:
    Attachment 13627

Grabbing the face mask is a 15 yard penalty, the same as targeting. Penalties offset, 4th down. WTF?

And the overturned scoop and score? That was worse than the pass interference no call in the LSU-OK game:

Clem's WR got a foot down and then took 3 steps after catching the ball and maintained possession the whole time. How is that incomplete?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

^ Not only that, but it was called a fumble on the field. They actually said the replay was conclusive evidence to overturn the call. <SMH>

^ Right. In fact, the ref threw down the black maker onto the field. Most bullshit call I've ever seen.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Watchin' The Sun Bowl...
    The Sun Devils vs. The Seminoles.........

I'm watching VT vs Kentucky, good close game with some nastiness
    Ian

I meant it's the Tony The Tiger Sun Bowl. The Kellog's Frosted Flakes Bowl doesn't quite sound "bro" enough.....lol

Nuff said.

Mark Dantonio steps down as Sparty's Head Coach.

My father would be disappointed. He was a big Dantonio fan.

Dantonio, a former University of Cincinnati head coach, retires as Michigan States most winning coach. It is rumored that current University of Cincinnati
    head coach Luke Fickell is the front runner to replace him.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I didn't realize it, but apparently Sparty is under the gun with accusations of numerous NCAA violations. Whether that figured in Coach Dantoni's decision will probably not be made public.

Regardless, he was one of Sparty's better coaches and they will likely remember him fondly.

Hard to see Fickell in that position, but who knows? If you're climbing the tree...

I didn't realize it, but apparently Sparty is under the gun with accusations of numerous NCAA violations. Whether that figured in Coach Dantoni's decision will probably not be made public.

Regardless, he was one of Sparty's better coaches and they will likely remember him fondly.

Hard to see Fickell in that position, but who knows? If you're climbing the tree...
    There are some rumors floating around up here in Michigan about violations, but nothing substantial so far. I always liked Dantonio and there is no doubt that he completely turned the program around during his years there.