Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ever-Expanding Gear Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I could create a hot key, but I never did that. I did it with a try-out version of Cubase 7.5.
    I was just thinking now that you can be in front of your computer the hot key would be very quick and convenient.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I was just thinking now that you can be in front of your computer the hot key would be very quick and convenient.
    There is not much difference between using the mouse to select the right note-lenght or a hot key.

FWIW I have a Keystep and think it is really, really great.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    FWIW I have a Keystep and think it is really, really great.
    It has some nice adventages, like aftertouch and control-voltage outputs. Wonder how long the cables are, that are with the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    This being the case, I'd be dead set on sending it back to Fender and asking why they STILL can't build instruments properly after 60+ years of essentially making the same ones. Ditto Gibson.
    Fender makes fantastic instruments at all price points, and generally speaking their quality control is excellent. Everyone makes a dud from time to time, or even if the instrument isn't a dud, it doesn't leave the factory in perfect condition. Yeah, the nut may be bad, neck relief may not be perfect (though this could be setup at the shop as well), or it needs a bit more attention in some respect. Most of these instruments can be made to play, but the onus for that shouldn't be on the buyer assuming it's a new instrument. But overall I'd say Fender's reputation for quality is superb given the number of instruments they turn out.

Gibson is far more hit-or-miss, and they largely deserve their poor quality reputation. Though you can get a good new Gibson, but it's more of a crap shoot. But I say the vast majority of Fenders are solid out of the gate.

Bill

It has some nice adventages, like aftertouch and control-voltage outputs. Wonder how long the cables are, that are with the keyboard.
    Not very long...I think the 1/8" patch cables are a couple of feet long, max.

I got it for exactly the reasons you mentioned: it has a very solid feel, the aftertouch is smooth, and at a price point that is WAY lower than I would've expected it to be. I use it with both software synths and some of my rack-mounted hardware devices. I haven't actually used the CV yet, but as a USB or MIDI controller it's terrific.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

The root of the problem is when Guitar Center fails to setup the truss rod while tuning it to pitch. This unnaturally warps the neck, making it quite difficult to correct the problem. Don't send it back to Fender, return it to Guitar Center...it's their fault.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

After 60+ years....do you think they'd finally get the message if I sent mine back? Methinks there are greater forces at work.
    Fair point. It's still infuriating, though - especially as both Fender and Gibson's US-produced guitars are so expensive, and yet are often light years behind the quality standards East Asian manufacturers seem to regard as routine.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Fair point. It's still infuriating, though - especially as both Fender and Gibson's US-produced guitars are so expensive, and yet are often light years behind the quality standards East Asian manufacturers seem to regard as routine.
    I hear you. The quality issues are a bit of a mystery to me since I work at a company where manufacturing things with tight tolerances is an everyday concern. It really shouldn't be difficult to get right and I would assume a lot of critical aspects of the construction of a guitar are automated.
    <sig out of order>

Guitar players - I'm looking for a cheap beginner electric. I love my cheap acoustic guitar, an Epiphone. She's a durable thing with a decent tone. Now I am hoping, provided that I can keep my tendinitis at bay, to go electric by this fall. I was thinking of a Yamaha Pacifica PAC112V. Any thoughts and which pickup would be better? I'll be getting it at local store, not Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010X7LF8...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Guitar players - I'm looking for a cheap beginner electric. I love my cheap acoustic guitar, an Epiphone. She's a durable thing with a decent tone. Now I am hoping, provided that I can keep my tendinitis at bay, to go electric by this fall. I was thinking of a Yamaha Pacifica PAC112V. Any thoughts and which pickup would be better? I'll be getting it at local store, not Amazon.

For a beginner instrument, the Pacifica should be a pretty good choice. They make good quality instruments and $300 for that seems a reasonable price. I personally prefer single coils to humbuckers, so I'd go with the H-S-S model (humbucker in the bridge, which is presumably splittable, and two single coils). But if you like more a Les Paul sound versus a Strat sound, go with the humbuckers. That's a matter of choice.

One thing I would do while you're at the store is try some Squier or Mexican Fender guitars. Not saying they are better, but the Pacifica has a very flat (nearly 14 inch) neck radius, and a fairly narrow 1.61 inch nut width. This may feel really comfortable to you, but you should compare it with instruments that have a rounder radius (7.5 - 9.5 inches are typical for Fenders), and a 1.69" nut width. It may seem that narrower would be better, but sometimes a wider spacing is more comfortable; I know it is for me. And the rounder radius is typically though to be more comfortable in the lower registers of the guitar, particularly playing chords.

That's a matter of personal preference, but as you say you have tendinitis, playing comfort is a factor for you, so you should experiment with what feels good.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Bill

After battling the big round neck on my acoustic I am ready for a narrow neck. I assume that the strings aren't closer together, right? I am done with a part-time job that really aggravated the tendinitis (among other things) so my hope is that I can strum and pick for longer than 10 minutes without pain. It should work.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

After battling the big round neck on my acoustic I am ready for a narrow neck. I assume that the strings aren't closer together, right?
    String spacing is typically a bit tighter on narrower nut-width necks. That is why nut width is a good proxy for feel in this regard. But narrower could be exactly what you're looking for. Everyone's hands are different, and what feels good to one may feel terrible to another. There's no right answer, just the answer that's right for you.

I would not equate a "big round" acoustic neck with that of a Strat. The "roundness" I'm talking about is on the top of the fretboard that makes a very pleasant shape in the lower registers. In the higher registers it can be problematic with bending, which is why you get compound necks that give you a rounder feel at the bottom and a flatter profile on top.

But I'm probably complicating things, you don't need to obsess over this stuff. All I'm saying is, while you're there, just try a few different things and pick the one that you think will be the most comfortable for you assuming you'll be playing for longer than a few minutes. Chances are you won't notice enough of a difference for it to matter, in which case you'll likely be fine with the Pacifica. But in case something feels way more comfortable to you, it's probably worth a bit of time putting your hands on a few options.

Bill

The type of pickups to get depends on whether you primarily play overdriven or clean. Single coil pups, including both strat/tele type and P-90s, will sound better clean. Ibanez guitars, except the Artcore series, tend to have hotter pups. They sound great overdriven, but like s*** clean...every note sounds more like a chicken cluck.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Will you be buying an amp as well or do you already have one? I think the Pacifica is a great choice and the H-S-S pickup configuration should give you plenty of good options for sounds.
    <sig out of order>

Will you be buying an amp as well or do you already have one?
    Yeah, just a 10 watt. There's plenty to choose from, like the Roland CUBE or Yamaha THR5

Yeah, just a 10 watt. There's plenty to choose from, like the Roland CUBE or Yamaha THR5

Nice! That's all you really need.
    <sig out of order>

Ordered a black Arturia Keystep. Hope it will arive tomorrow.

Ordered a black Arturia Keystep. Hope it will arive tomorrow.
    Congrats! What do you like about it? I haven’t been able to get a proper feel for it yet but sure see it mentioned a lot.

It is small, it has aftertouch and control-voltage outputs, which means I might be able to connect my old synthesizer to my computer. The first two were the most important. The other is a nice extra, if it works.

And it has arrived. I would have loved it if the USB-cable would have been a bit longer, but it works. The control-voltage cables are rather short. Perhaps I should look for longer cables, if they are available somewhere.
    Otherwise it seems to work fine.

I'm so happy with my new keyboard. I can connect it with my old analog synthesizer. I only need to find out how to tune it right. I looks like it adds 2 octaves over the tuning of the synthesizer. And because both tuning-knobs are volume-controllike, so you can't select an octave and then fine-tune it, it needs some work.

I'm so happy with my new keyboard. I can connect it with my old analog synthesizer. I only need to find out how to tune it right. I looks like it adds 2 octaves over the tuning of the synthesizer. And because both tuning-knobs are volume-controllike, so you can't select an octave and then fine-tune it, it needs some work.
    Very interesting. So the old synth is controlled by a voltage from the new keyboard? And the voltage (or at least one voltage) controls the pitch of your old synth? Hopefully you can find a way to calibrate that accurately.
    <sig out of order>

Very interesting. So the old synth is controlled by a voltage from the new keyboard? And the voltage (or at least one voltage) controls the pitch of your old synth? Hopefully you can find a way to calibrate that accurately.
    Yes, the old synthesizer is controlled by the control-voltages (trigger and pitch) of the new keyboard. So I can use the computer to play my old synthesizer.

Yes, the old synthesizer is controlled by the control-voltages (trigger and pitch) of the new keyboard. So I can use the computer to play my old synthesizer.
    Cool. Let us know how it all works out.
    <sig out of order>