Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1986

Thread: 2016 NCAA College Football

We've got a barn burner in Annapolis.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Texas A&M v Georgia is a pretty good game
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Damn, I missed the game but..........Miami loses to cross-town rival FIU.

The Badger-Gopher game will be the most important match-up of those 2 teams since.......????

Is there anyone (based on stats & records already set) that really thinks that Jonathan Taylor shouldn't (at this point-season's not over) win the Heisman?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

Is there anyone (based on stats & records already set) that really thinks that Jonathan Taylor shouldn't (at this point-season's not over) win the Heisman?
    Yes, myself and every pundit in the media. The Heisman is probably Joe Burrow's to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yes, myself and every pundit in the media. The Heisman is probably Joe Burrow's to lose.
    How can so many people who should know better be so wrong?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    How can so many people who should know better be so wrong?
    The game against Ohio St may have ruined Taylor's chances. He's not spearheading one of the very top teams either, which doesn't help his cause.

I'm stunned by Joe Burrow, tbh. I watched him play in garbage time a number of games for the Buckeyes. I thought he was undersized and with a sub-par arm. I was dreading the day when he would become the OSU QB, and I wasn't mourning when he transferred. That he is doing what he is doing this year is amazing, imo. Surely didn't see it coming.

I'd give the Heisman to Chase Young. For 2019 he has 38 tackles, 27 of which were solo, 16.5 sacks, and 7 forced fumbles. Against Penn State & Wisconsin alone he racked up 11 solo tackles, 7 sacks, 4 assists, and 4 forced fumbles!

Chase Young is a god.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I'd give the Heisman to Chase Young. For 2019 he has 38 tackles, 27 of which were solo, 16.5 sacks, and 7 forced fumbles. Against Penn State & Wisconsin alone he racked up 11 solo tackles, 7 sacks, 4 assists, and 4 forced fumbles!
    I would have too, until he lost 2 games to suspension. Easily the best player in the country, though.

Oh, c'mon. It wasn't like he traded team paraphernalia for tattoos or was given a car to use from a local auto dealer. He got a loan from a family friend to buy his girlfriend a plane ticket to the Rose Bowl. A loan he paid back, btw. The only reason he was suspended was because the family friend wasn't a friend before Young was recruited (according to Young, they've been friends since the summer of 2017. He committed in November of 2016).

That's it.

Here's the rule he violated; specifically part C:

16.11.1.3 Loan From Established Family Friend. A student-athlete may receive a loan from an established family friend without such arrangement constituting an extra benefit, provided:
    (a) The loan is not offered to the student-athlete based in any degree on his or her athletics ability or reputation;
    (b) The individual providing the loan is not considered a representative of the institution's athletics interests; and
    (c) The relationship between the individual providing the loan and the student-athlete existed prior to the initiation of the student-athlete's recruitment by the member institution.

Give me fucking break. This is what really bothers me about some of these rules: they're biased against players who come from families without means. If Chase Young's parents were rich, there'd be no problem getting his girlfriend to the Rose Bowl because all he'd have to do is ask Dear Old Dad for the money. Young couldn't even ask his mother for the money.

To penalize any kid for an infraction like this is utterly stupid, especially considering the NCAA's Div 1 manual is 441 pages long (not including the cover & table of contents).

It's nit-picky shit that is adhering to the letter of the law and not necessarily the intent of the law.

If I had a vote for the Heisman, I wouldn't hesitate to give it to Chase.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

^ It's not because of what he did. I couldn't care less about that. It's because he played 2 fewer games than the competition.

Denzel Ward made the Pro Bowl last year despite missing several games. I'm a Browns fan, but he wouldn't have gotten my vote. Not because he didn't play at a Pro Bowl level, but because he didn't play even close to a full season.

I'm not willing to give top awards to guys who miss significant time, and I don't think the organizations should either.

Hell of a win by VA over VA TECH. I think now they go on to play Clemson. Lambs to the slaughter.

Eesh, what a bloodbath in Michican.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Eesh, what a bloodbath in Michican.
    Yup, it was pretty ugly. OSU is a really good team this year.

Ohio St. crushes Michigan. Again. There are definitely things I could nitpick, but it's hard to argue with that final score.

I'm not concerned at all with the B1G championship game, since Fields injury was apparently not serious. (For a time there, I was gutted, thinking our National Championship had evaporated just like that.) Barring injuries to key players, the only team that worries me right now is Clemson. And who knows how good they really are with the schedule they played. However, Dabo has a ton of 5-star recruits too, and he's a hell of a coach.

So, We Keep On. (Had to throw a bit of Prog into it.)

I said earlier that I thought there was a chance that this is the best Ohio St team I've seen in my fan lifetime. (48 years.) They have to complete the circuit for that to be true, but it is my opinion that that is the case, and I expect to win the National Championship, barring key injuries. Go Bucks!

I knew there was a "g" in Michigan. Trust me....lol For some reason my autocorrect is retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I knew there was a "g" in Michigan. Trust me....lol For some reason my autocorrect is retarded.
    Don't worry. We spell it Meeshigan down here.

Lol

Watchin" Miami@Duke and Bama@Auburn. Couple close games so far.

Minnetonka is laying a turd at home. I'm a bit surprised.

Bucky's closing out the pretenders. Time to switch over to the Iron Bowl, that sounds like a slugfest.

And Duke has just put the last nail in the coffin. Fuckity fuck. Rooting for the the Hurricanes is like rooting for the Dolphins.

There are definitely things I could nitpick, but it's hard to argue with that final score.
    I was telling my brother it didn't feel to me like we scored that much until I looked at the final score. There's some disconnect there.

I said earlier that I thought there was a chance that this is the best Ohio St team I've seen in my fan lifetime. (48 years.)
    That's what Barry Alvarez said, too.

Time to switch over to the Iron Bowl, that sounds like a slugfest.
    That was a bizarre ending to a game, but it could not have happened to a nicer guy.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Ohio St. crushes Michigan. Again. There are definitely things I could nitpick, but it's hard to argue with that final score.

I'm not concerned at all with the B1G championship game, since Fields injury was apparently not serious. (For a time there, I was gutted, thinking our National Championship had evaporated just like that.) Barring injuries to key players, the only team that worries me right now is Clemson. And who knows how good they really are with the schedule they played. However, Dabo has a ton of 5-star recruits too, and he's a hell of a coach.

So, We Keep On. (Had to throw a bit of Prog into it.)

I said earlier that I thought there was a chance that this is the best Ohio St team I've seen in my fan lifetime. (48 years.) They have to complete the circuit for that to be true, but it is my opinion that that is the case, and I expect to win the National Championship, barring key injuries. Go Bucks!
    I would agree that Ohio State looks like the team to beat after yesterday. I will be rooting for my wife's Badgers next weekend, but I don't see them having much of a chance.