Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Peter Hammill (cover of Prog)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    So in summary, it looks like:

10 CDs of the original albums + bonus material (including a full disc of Pawn Hearts extras and Vital spread over two discs with no added tracks)

3 CDs of live shows (Rimini '75 and Paris '76)

4 CDs of stereo remixes (H to He, Pawn Hearts, Godbluff, Still Life, not including bonus tracks)

2 BRs of 5.1 remixes (same four albums as above)

1 BR of video

I certainly hope that the omission of the track "Still Life" from the 5.1 mixes is a typo.
    I noticed that Still Life was missing from the 5.1, but assume it's just the bad post mistake.

I am buying it no matter what anyway

The Paris Maison De La Mutualite' gig was recorded for broadcast use (a couple of songs from an AM recording do circulate), so it hopefully will be of accettable sound quality at least.
    Still Life from the 5.1 mixes is probably a typo.
    I really hope the missing Refugees promo video is a typo as well.

If they did a remix of 'Still Life' for stereo they could presumably have done it for 5.1.

Is it known whether the newly remastered albums are getting stand-alone CD releases outside of the box? The recent Tangerine Dream and Gong ones did.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    If they did a remix of 'Still Life' for stereo they could presumomably have done it for 5.1.

Is it known whether the newly remastered albums are getting stand-alone CD releases outside of the box? The recent Tangerine Dream and Gong ones did.
    We are all assuming that HMV just messed up the information. It's all out of order, so quality control is pretty low of the info.

The box set is the only way to get the 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by peterpyser View Post
    The Paris Maison De La Mutualite' gig was recorded for broadcast use (a couple of songs from an AM recording do circulate), so it hopefully will be of accettable sound quality at least.
    Here's "Still Life" from the broadcast:

I imagine that that could be cleaned up a little, remove the hiss.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Here's "Still Life" from the broadcast:

I imagine that that could be cleaned up a little, remove the hiss.
    There are better copies circulating (of Still Life and When she comes).
    But since there are only 2 tracks, I hope the full show comes from the masters.

^All that sounds just wonderful! Thanks for posting!

Burning Shed has their preorder up, too: https://burningshed.com/van-der-graa...af%20Generator

All those who were only interested in the 5.1 mixes or new stereo mixes will be pleased to find that the four remixed albums will be available separately, and without having to wait for a year until all the box sets are gone. Full track lisitings are on Burning Shed, with the albums now in the proper order. The 5.1 mix of Still Life (the track) is still absent from the box, but present on the 3 CD release, so make of that what you will. With seemingly every single track included in this set, why didn't they find room for The Liquidator and Roncevaux?

The four individual album 3-disc sets are approximately half the cost of the box, so I expect we'll see plenty of people taking that route.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

A very tempting box. Can anyone say what the sound from the Rimini concert is like now. Everything I have heard from that concert has been very low-fi. But in light of the superb sound quality on Can's recent Stuttgart release, which was taken from a tape recorder hidden in Andy Hall's trousers in 1975, perhaps there will be some studio wizardry to bolster the Rimini audio too.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Very good to see there will be separate releases. I'm assuming the original mixes will be new remasters and not the 2005 ones?

ISTR that Rimini show being hammered with noise reduction on previous Hammill releases. Which made it sound worse.

I think I'll pass. Hate the fact that they don't respect the respective artworks and present the disc without them.
    The Gong and Tangerine Dream boxsets did that too.
    For that kind of price asked, the leasdt is respect the albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The four individual album 3-disc sets are approximately half the cost of the box, so I expect we'll see plenty of people taking that route.
    do we know more about those?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I think I'll pass. Hate the fact that they don't respect the respective artworks and present the disc without them.
    The Novalis one was like that too. It is disappointing.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Well first you don't know how the single releases are going to be presented, and this is a 20 disc box set that has never been released before so why are they supposed to represent the artwork exactly like the originals? what's the point, you already have that original artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGoon View Post
    Huzzah!

do we know more about those?
    New stereo and surround mixes as well as the original mix which has been newly remastered (presumably an improvement on the horror show that was the 2005 remasters).

The newly released Refugees single version is quite good:

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    Well first you don't know how the single releases are going to be presented, and this is a 20 disc box set that has never been released before so why are they supposed to represent the artwork exactly like the originals? what's the point, you already have that original artwork.
    Well first, if you look at the picture shown on Burning shed, if the artworks are to be included, it will on 90's BGO 2on1 or 2on2 style. Sorry but I need sleeves to be able to listen to other locations than the living room without bringing the whole shebang

The idea is to get rid of those 2005 remasters (along with the Mini-Lp artworks) and the 70's DVDs as well, so I would be expecting new ones with the upcoming remasters.

Another upsetting point, is that there are BR and no DVD - I don't own BR technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    New stereo and surround mixes as well as the original mix which has been newly remastered (presumably an improvement on the horror show that was the 2005 remasters).

eeeeexaaaaactlyyyyy

Which is why i could be interested in the smaller boxsets.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    The latest bit of info I have says "Only four albums will have the 5.1 - H to He, Pawn Hearts, Godbluff and Still Life." So there's still room for speculation on the remaining 6 to 8 CDs.
    Nope. See my new thread on the box. The full contents have been detailed. But i'm fine with just those four, with the assumption that the remasters of all the original albums will correct and improve upon the 2005 ones.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Well first, if you look at the picture shown on Burning shed, if the artworks are to be included, it will on 90's BGO 2on1 or 2on2 style. Sorry but I need sleeves to be able to listen to other locations than the living room without bringing the whole shebang
    Those two on ones are the Blu ray covers as each has two albums. The cds will be in those folding cardboard containers with slots for each cd. Just like the Lennon boxes, for example. So no, the cds won't be individually housed in replications of original covers. But I have a suspicion the cover art will be found (and in larger than cd size) in the accompanying book.

Either way, this is not a show-stopper for me when it comes to these mega-boxes. The Richard & Linda Thompson was similar, but the cover art was replicated within. Plus, for me, the appeal is new remasters to replace those awful 2005 ones, plus high res new stereo mixes of my four favourite VdGG albums. I'm ok that they didn't do others....plus who knows (does someone here?)? Maybe they could only find the multi tracks for those four albums, though it does seem convenient that it's the four largely favoured by many, if not most.

Another upsetting point, is that there are BR and no DVD - I don't own BR technology.
    Seriously, given how inexpensively you can get a decent BR player, I've no idea why you wouldn't. I'll not get into issues of higher resolution audio (and video) on BR as I am sure you're aware. But really, the added cost would not be inconsiderable. They'd likely have to put the four albums on four DVDs due to storage limitations of the media (and they'd be lower resolution, maybe even compressed with the surround mixes), as opposed to their getting two albums on each of the two BRs.

The current price point at Burning Shed, £120 (£100 without VAT for us foreigners) is pretty darn good for the amount of content, IMHO. I don't feel like paying for four DVDs I'd never use, as a technology that's already two generations old.

But seriously, man, buy yourself a BR player....you can get really cheap ones for, like, $30, and pretty darn decent ones for around $100.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by jkelman; 06-10-2021 at 09:19 PM.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

^ Maybe he could borrow one from the library?

Just ordered it. Can't wait!