Thread: Dylan - Girl from the North Country video

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Dylan - Girl from the North Country video

Anyone know what this Bob Dylan performance is taken from? Some TV show?

A CBC TV (Canada) show called "Quest", February, 1964.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

^^ Yep, there's a lot more to that, too. What a great song.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Just got his new Bootleg Series set, 3Cds, that covers John Wesley Harding through Self Portrait, and includes well over a cd’s worth of collaborations with Johnny Cash. If you love this period of Dylan, you need to get this set!
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

I listened to it last night. On first listen my favorites are the versions of Matchbox and That's Alright Mama with Carl Perkins. On the Cash sessions it seems like Dylan is just in awe of Cash and defers to him for the most part.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Oh, that was lovely. I could listen to it all day.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Just got his new Bootleg Series set, 3Cds, that covers John Wesley Harding through Self Portrait, and includes well over a cd’s worth of collaborations with Johnny Cash. If you love this period of Dylan, you need to get this set!
    Going through it today. Harding has always been one of my favorite Dylan albums.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ Yep, there's a lot more to that, too. What a great song.
    I actually didn’t know it was a Dylan song because I have another album with the song (I think Roy Harper) where it says “Traditional.”

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I actually didn’t know it was a Dylan song because I have another album with the song (I think Roy Harper) where it says “Traditional.”
    There are many "traditional" songs in the public domain that anyone is free to record. I"m not sure if this is one of them. I'm pretty sure Dylan wrote it.

However, if you do an original interpretation of a traditional song, you can take a writing credit. I always use CCR's version of "The Midnight Special" as a familiar example. But there are many. In fact, Carl Perkins didn't even write "Matchbox." Bind Lemon Jefferson recorded "Matchbox Blues" in 1926.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    There are many "traditional" songs in the public domain that anyone is free to record. I"m not sure if this is one of them. I'm pretty sure Dylan wrote it.
    Dylan wrote it, but it's basically a rewrite of the traditional "Scarborough Fair," so a lot of people have treated Dylan's version as traditional too, and done their own rewrites taking off from his. Pete Townshend's "North Country Girl" is one example (credited as traditional on my copy of All the Best Cowboys..., although Wikipedia has it credited to Dylan).
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Jon Neudorf
    Just got 'Freewheelin' remastered for 2 bucks.