Thread: Early Tangerine Dream albums on Esoteric Recordings

Early Tangerine Dream albums on Esoteric Recordings

Anyone here have the Esoteric Recordings editions of the early TD albums ?
    Remastered - how do these compare with the previous ones?
    Expanded lots of live bonuses here how good are these ?

My choices for early TD on CD:

EM: Jive/Electro C TANG 4
    AC: Jive/Electro C TANG 5
    Zeit: Relativity 2CD BOX 88561-8070-2
    Atem: Jive/Electro C TANG 2 (Not very good. All CD versions of this seem to suck. This one is maybe the least bad)

I have that budget box of all the early albums Sanctuary put out, that includes some of the stray singles as well. I don't remember them sounding too objectionable, but I'm not an expert on these matters. I guess that's long out of print, but it was the most cost effective way to get those four albums.

I only have Alpha Centauri, which comes with "Ultima Thule (Parts 1 & 2)" and "Oszillator Planet Concert" as bonuses. I listened to it once and I recall it sounding pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I don't remember them sounding too objectionable, but I'm not an expert on these matters.
    Nobody is. I still listen to my vinyl on my Mattel Close and Play, and they sound fantastic.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    All the bonus material is excellent.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I bought Zeit, Atem and Alpha last year on Esoteric versions, and they sound fine.

I guess if you consider yourself an audiophile, then perhaps your ears are more demanding than mine. But honestly, I've listened to them umpteen times over the last few months, either on hi-fi or on headphones, and I thoroughly enjoyed them.

Liner notes are detailed and they've gone to the effort of tracking down rare material for the bonus discs, with each bonus track having a direct connection with the main album.

It's easy to bash labels like Esoteric from behind a PC, armed with the latest music analysis software, but come on - why not just switch the PC off and get back into the joy of listening?

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    I bought Zeit, Atem and Alpha last year on Esoteric versions, and they sound fine.

Liner notes are detailed and they've gone to the effort of tracking down rare material for the bonus discs, with each bonus track having a direct connection with the main album.

It's easy to bash labels like Esoteric from behind a PC, armed with the latest music analysis software, but come on - why not just switch the PC off and get back into the joy of listening?
    OK, with the Ultima Thule bonus on Alpha, I know one is safe.... but on Zeit & Atem, arethe bonus tracks more than live or alternate takes (though for TD, these terms takes on a spzecial twist I suppose)...

I had done a CD-r compilation on those black disc affair about a decade ago... more than likely they're going to go bad on me soon or later... Then I have the Nebulous Dawn boxset (bought at a ridiculous low price), so I'm still pondering on the opportunity to buy these Esoteric releases...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    OK, with the Ultima Thule bonus on Alpha, I know one is safe.... but on Zeit & Atem, arethe bonus tracks more than live or alternate takes (though for TD, these terms takes on a spzecial twist I suppose)...
    Zeit reissue on Esoteric:
    CD 1: the original album
    CD 2: The Klangwald Performance, Cologne, November 1973
    - Klangwald (Part One) 37:23
    - Klangwald (Part Two) 40:41

Atem reissue on Esoteric:
    CD 1: the original album
    CD 2: The Deutschlandhalle Performance, recorded in Berlin 29 november 1973 - 40:42

Sounds good ... I'll even think about taking Electronic Maditations (also love that one)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I don't know which rock I have been hiding under but the Esoteric releases for TD had past me by. I have been listening to Zeit often on Amazon Music over the past few months and last week it was put behind the pay wall. So I went looking to buy it (I have the album from the In the Beginning vinyl boxset but I don't have a turntable at the moment). Saw a copy that also contains The Klangwald Concert so I quickly bought the CD's. When I got it today I was was shocked to see it was from 2011! Looking forward to some headphone time to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    I don't know which rock I have been hiding under but the Esoteric releases for TD had past me by. I have been listening to Zeit often on Amazon Music over the past few months and last week it was put behind the pay wall. So I went looking to buy it (I have the album from the In the Beginning vinyl boxset but I don't have a turntable at the moment). Saw a copy that also contains The Klangwald Concert so I quickly bought the CD's. When I got it today I was was shocked to see it was from 2011! Looking forward to some headphone time to check it out.
    I have that remaster, too. "Klangwald" adds 78 minutes!

I was always under the impression that Chris Franke had all the tapes for the bands concerts, and studio time when he was in the band. With Klangwald, Search for Hades etc, there has been a ton of this archival stuff released. Does anybody know if there has been a thawing between the camps, or has Edgar Froese and now is family always had them? Or is the concert stuff mainly from boots, Tangerine Trees or otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    I was always under the impression that Chris Franke had all the tapes for the bands concerts, and studio time when he was in the band. With Klangwald, Search for Hades etc, there has been a ton of this archival stuff released. Does anybody know if there has been a thawing between the camps, or has Edgar Froese and now is family always had them? Or is the concert stuff mainly from boots, Tangerine Trees or otherwise?
    It's been suggested, but nothing that nails down exactly what happened (or nobody wants to be the one to confirm it). It's been said that Franke did take the masters with him when he bailed to Spain and then the US. It would explain the re-recordings over the years. I also saw somewhere that in the book that comes with the new box, we're finally going to get the lowdown on The Keep and what kept it from happening while so many other soundtracks happened before and after.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    It's been suggested, but nothing that nails down exactly what happened (or nobody wants to be the one to confirm it). It's been said that Franke did take the masters with him when he bailed to Spain and then the US. It would explain the re-recordings over the years. I also saw somewhere that in the book that comes with the new box, we're finally going to get the lowdown on The Keep and what kept it from happening while so many other soundtracks happened before and after.
    Thanks for the info