Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest Prog Songs by non Prog Bands

Maybe not the 'greatest', but pretty good.

Sweet - Love is Like Oxygen

(Yeah, the same guys that did "Little Willy" and "Ballroom Blitz".)

Especially starting at about 3:09. Before that it sounds a bit like 10CC.

But one of the greatest might be Eberhard Weber "No Motion Picture" from the "Colours of Chloe" album. This 19 minute masterpiece moves between several genres seamlessly. But it is definitely proggy.

Last edited by simon moon; 02-14-2015 at 10:10 AM.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

considering that Chicago was there at the beginning of Prog music and composed so many Prog pieces, they are absolutely Prog
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

City Boy - 5000 yrs/Don"t Know Can't Tell from their debut album

Suspended
    Roy Orbison - Southbound Jericho Parkway

If you have not heard this song before, it will astonish you.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    The Smashing Pumpkins
    I love this one too, so different from much of their output.

Quote Originally Posted by malterb View Post
    Grateful Dead - Terrapin Station (I think this is more proggier than the others listed)

Absolutely, this is a great album side and as about as prog as you can get
    I dunno. I'd certainly say some of the twists and turns in the arrangements of That's It For The Other One, New Potato Caboose, Born Cross Eyed, and Unbroken Chain are "more prog" or however you want to phrase it.

Terrapin Station plays more like two songs and about two or three other bits that were sort of stuck together (although official lore has it that Hunter wrote the lyrics as one big epic poem while watching a thunderstorm for him living room, and Jerry wrote the majority of the music allegedly on the same day, and the two were put together afterwards). Contrastingly, the other songs each sound like one statement, rather than a bunch of bits stuck together (then again, one could argue that Supper's Ready is effectively "a bunch of bits stuck together").
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 02-14-2015 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    Maybe not the 'greatest', but pretty good.

Sweet - Love is Like Oxygen
    Sweet has several proggy moments, I think this one is more fitting for the thread

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post

You can definitely hear the Tull Bricks being laid on this one. (Wait, that sounded wrong…)
    Wow. That track is awesome. Is most of their music in a similar vein? The hipsters have been name-checking this band for years but I've never actually heard the music before this.

Regarding influences, I would say more along the lines of Robyn Hitchcock fronting Wishbone Ash. But whatever... it is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Wow. That track is awesome. Is most of their music in a similar vein? The hipsters have been name-checking this band for years but I've never actually heard the music before this.

Regarding influences, I would say more along the lines of Robyn Hitchcock fronting Wishbone Ash. But whatever... it is very good.
    The Decemberists are great. The Crane Wife is awesome but The Hazards of Love takes the cake. I would advise you to check out that one.

Me & Sarah Jane?

More seriously,

Heart - Sylvan Song/Dream of the Archer
    Toro Y Moi - How I Know

Also someone mentioned 'Closer To Home' by Grand Funk. I'm not sure any song that repeats the same line over and over 45 times could qualify as a prog song

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    To respond to some previous posts: I'd think Uriah Heep is prog (thus Salisbury wouldn't count) and to Relayer56, yes, I'd definitely put April (Deep Purple) on this list. Great tune.

For Zep, no one has said Carouselambra (sp?), best song from their last album.
    Absolutely - this is classic prog song, in 3 parts -sonata form structure, as Stairway To Heaven - their most progressive effort. I'd mention The Song Remains The Same, for it's tempo changes, and lush guitar variations.

Lucifer's Friend - Sorrow, Thus Spoke Oberon, Spanish Galleons
    I concur on Thus Spoke Oberon. But frankly, LF have a lot to offer in prog rock shape.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I'm not sure any song that repeats the same line over and over 45 times could qualify as a prog song
    "I've seen all good people blah blah blah"
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I guess "Good Vibrations" would qualify. I don't know of anything else from the Beach Boys in that same vein. I don't know how prog "Pet Sounds" is, as I've never heard it, though I know it's highly regarded among many folks here. But "Good Vibrations" still seems like an outlier in the Beach Boys' catalog in terms of the craftsmanship of the composition. Didn't somebody once refer to it as a "pocket symphony"?

Blur - This is a Low

Someone mentioned Bowie's 'Space Oddity' - I'd also add 'Life on Mars' and 'Station to Station'.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    To respond to some previous posts: I'd think Uriah Heep is prog (thus Salisbury wouldn't count) and to Relayer56, yes, I'd definitely put April (Deep Purple) on this list.

Here are some others:
    Chicago - Ballet for a Girl from Buchanan
    Grateful Dead - Terrapin Station (I think this is more proggier than the others listed), St. Stephen
    Look, if Uriah Heep were "prog", then Chicago and Grateful Dead were probably "avant-prog" by comparison, seeing how their total output contains FAR more progressive music than UHeep would ever have been able to assemble. So no, if Chicago and the Dead go - then Heep aren't anymore "proper prog" than those. UHeep weren't more overall "prog" than their other hard-rock contemporaries, and a couple of Roger Dean covers and fairy-lyrics don't change that. Is "The Final Countdown" by Europe "prog" as well?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    I guess "Good Vibrations" would qualify. I don't know of anything else from the Beach Boys in that same vein. I don't know how prog "Pet Sounds" is, as I've never heard it, though I know it's highly regarded among many folks here. But "Good Vibrations" still seems like an outlier in the Beach Boys' catalog in terms of the craftsmanship of the composition. Didn't somebody once refer to it as a "pocket symphony"?
    The 'Wonderful/Song For Children/Child is the Father of the Man/Surfs Up' sequence from 'Smile' is much proggier than 'Good Vibrations' even, in my opinion.

The Byrds' "Old John Robertson." In a minute and 50 seconds, it's got everything - progressive country, a phased string quartet in the middle, and the progressive bluegrass guitar of Clarence White.

Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post

Yeah, once in a while those hipsters find something good. I suppose now that the Decemberists are a big deal the hipsters have abandoned them. Too bad, more good tunes for us. In prog terms, the best albums would be The Crane Wife (the track above is from that) or the concept album Hazards of Love. I know some (including my wife) find Colin's voice annoying but I love their stuff.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Most of the major "classic" rock bands have done at least one or two songs that could be considered prog. Even the Rolling Stones had "moonlight mile" and "can't you hear me knocking" from Sticky Fingers which are two of the best songs from that album. Also, the Who had some things from Tommy, Quadrophenia and even Who's Next.

Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

If you want to go really out on a limb how about Could It Be Magic by Barry Manilow? Nearly 7 minutes long, based on classical music, Moog interlude, symphonic finish.....