Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheer Accident

Cheer Accident

do NOT miss this band. They kicked off their tour last night in Louisville and had the local group Ut Gret open up for them in a fantastic and intimate venue. The band just slayed with precision, beautiful interplay, fantastical drumming, and a dose of good humor. They have just released their 18th album, making them one of the most long-established bands in the genre (don't make me label them into a subgenre!). So you don't have to look it up on a separate thread, here's their tour dates:

June 16 - Dreamland - 810 East Market St - Louisville, KY

June 17 - The Pilot Light - 106 E. Jackson Ave - Knoxville, TN

June 20 - Infinite Room - 1644 Main St - Columbia, SC

June 21 - Nightlight - 405 1/2 West Rosemary St - Chapel Hill, NC

June 22 - Black Hound Clay Studio - Philadelphia, PA

June 23 - Trans-Pecos - 9-15 Wyckoff Ave - Queens, NY 11385

June 24 - Rhizome - 6950 Maple St NW - Washington, DC

July 29 - Shlafly Tap - 2100 Locust St - St Louis, MO [with Yowie]

July 30 - Record Bar - 1520 Grand Blvd - Kansas City, MO [with Free Salamander Exhibit]

July 31 - Beat Kitchen - 2100 W. Belmont Ave - Chicago, IL 60618 [with Free Salamander Exhibit!]

August 1 - Radio Radio - 1119 E Prospect - Indianapolis, IN [with Free Salamander Exhibit]

September 15 - Rock In Opposition Festival - Cap D'ecouverte - Le Garric 81450, France

September 16 - la Librairie Compagnon - 8 chemin des écoliers - 69870 Grandris, France

September 17 - Une figue dans le Poirier - Girmont Val'D'Ajol - France

September 19 - Mora Mora - Orleans, France

September 20 - tba - Metz, France

September 22 - Freakshow Art Rock Festival - Würzburg, Germany [with Poil and Le Silo]

September 23 - OFF - Offenburgerstrasse 59 - Basel, Switzerland

glad you enjoyed the show. Looking fwd to seeing them a week from tonight.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by littleatlas_steve View Post
    do NOT miss this band. [...] one of the most long-established bands in the genre (don't make me label them into a subgenre!).
    Damn right.

A rock band of highest creative caliber. They're the one current name from whom I have the most titles (15, I believe). I absolutely love Cheer-Accident. They are one of the immaculate reasons why current rock music still makes sense at all. They're bonafide avant-garde and equally melodically irresistible.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

With most bands you know what to expect, or even expect the unexpected. But listening to their latest, it is an experience. It is a journey that the next "now" you don't know where you will be. There is a turn or a staircase and blinfolded you allow them to carry you. And it's so rewarding.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Seeing them at RIO, Ut Gret is a great pick for support.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Seeing them in RIO and Freakshow, cant wait, heard their setlist is very varied from show to show.

PS didnt know Ut Gret are still active! Talk about flying under the radar... These guys are practically anonymous after almost 40 years of existence!

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post

PS didnt know Ut Gret are still active! Talk about flying under the radar... These guys are practically anonymous after almost 40 years of existence!
    Ut Gret is definitely still around and did a great show at ProgDay 2015. That was the year we got two bassoons - Ut Gret on Saturday and Jack O'The Clock on Sunday.

As mentioned, you never know what to expect from Cheer Accident. When they played ProgDay, they were booked as a trio, but showed up with an eight-piece band. Looking forward to hearing them live again on the 21st. I wish Ut Gret was opening for them at that show.

I was going to do my best to make it up to Knoxville to see them tonight, but back/neck problems kept me from making the drive, dammit.

important updates:

June 22 - Sera Phi - 715 S. 50th St. - Philadelphia PA 19143

June 23 - Wayward Social - 35 Ingraham St - Brooklyn, NY
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Never seen them live.

Hopefully I can correct this soon.

What a band!!! (And the new record kills it.)
    The Prog Corner

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

glad you enjoyed the show. Looking fwd to seeing them a week from tonight.
    I'll be there. Rhizome? Some little House in Takoma Park? Man times are tough for bands like this. So what else is new eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I'll be there. Rhizome? Some little House in Takoma Park? Man times are tough for bands like this. So what else is new eh?
    Rhizome is actually THE place for new music in DC right now. I see shows there 2-3 nights a week much of the time.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Yah...saw Insect Factory @ Rhizome not long ago. Cool little joint. Looking forward to C-A this weekend
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I'm scratching my head wondering why I haven't discovered this lot until now. I've recently got "No Ifs..." and "Putting Off Death". They're both fantastic, but particularly the latter for me. Loving "Language IS" and "Lifetime Guarantee". I've now bought "Fear Draws Misfortune", looking forward to hearing it for the first time.

Steve F., why do you think they don't have a higher profile, on PE for instance?

Quote Originally Posted by spacewaltzer View Post
    Steve F., why do you think they don't have a higher profile, on PE for instance?
    Lack of mellotrons.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

The serious answer to that question regarding PE is because they aren't a prog band never have been and don't aspire to it and don't consistently deliver music in that vein or style, although they sometimes do. When it suits them.

They aspire to being CHEER-ACCIDENT.

They have more than semi-legendary profile in Chicago for sure and in the underground rock scenes in general. But they are happy to not deliver music that will please those people either.

That's just what they do and what they are.

Having said that, I'm happy you have discovered them and glad you are enjoying them. If you want to go further, may I suggest "Introducing Lemon" after Fear Draws Misfortune.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

"Introducing Lemon" is one hell of a fine album.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Lack of mellotrons.
    Hah! There even IS some 'tron on Sever Roots, Tree Dies - and this was an obscure debut album in the year of Our Lord 1988!
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I've now bought "Fear Draws Misfortune", looking forward to hearing it for the first time. [...] why do you think they don't have a higher profile, on PE for instance?
    Fear Draws Misfortune is arguably their defining release; the one capturing their entirety of expressions full force.

C-A never specifically identified themselves as a progressive or even "prog" band; in fact, come to think of it, NONE of the truly creative contemporary acts somehow connected with progressive rock these past 15-20 years really did. See the Motorpsycho featured CD thread for more about this maxime thing.

Interestingly, as Steve F. points out, C-A have cultivated quite a strong cult following in their hometown of Chicago, where they have been associated with other highly reknowned (outside of "prog", that is) names for almost three decades now; Jim O'Rourke, Bobby Conn, Glenn Kotche/Wilco, Sam Prekop etc. People whose own works also tend to sometimes touch upon a "prog" influence without the outcome being particularly adherent to the term itself.

I am also fresh to this band and I feel gratitude a) that music like this is possible and does exist b) that I was able to discover it, even belatedly, thanks to PE.

To write a song titled "Language Is" and end it on pure mechanical noise is a serious philosophical statement imo.

p.s.

apropos of nothing except amusing myself, I found the following review of Introducing Lemon on Amazon, including the also amusing response.

Kinda a proto-Skullhead thingy happening here, baby.

----
    Someone told me I would like this record, so I borrowed it and gave it a listen... The prog rock influence is pretty obvious, but there are plenty of prog rock bands out there, and a lot of them are better than these guys.

The problem with this record is that it is too long and, much like a hot dog, has very little meat and a lot of filler.

I liked the first 5 minutes or so, then it lost me on a repetitive acoustic guitar hootenanny. There are about 20 minutes of really great music on a CD that is about 70+ minutes long.

These guys are like prog rock that "jams econo". No mellotrons or fat analog synths. It's prog rock played indie style. This just does not work for me.

I'm really surprised Steve Albini recorded this. It doesn't sound as good as what usually comes out of his studio. Then again, garbage in, garbage out... If you record bad sounding instruments, they will sound bad no matter who records it. It sounds like it was dubbed on some lossy digital device. You can definately hear digital compression artifacts when listening on monitors.

I too long for the days of the 70's, but not many of today's artists are up to snuff. One main reason is that no one will appreciate the hard work, and it definately doesn't pay off. But excuses don't make for good music. I'd much rather beef up my collection of great, original 70's progressive rock than hear an above-average attempt to expand on this sound.

20 minutes of this record are really amazing. The rest is boring. The problem is, the 20 minutes are spread across multiple tracks. So you can't just skip the wonder bread. You have to eat the whole sandwich.
    Todd Grady

----

I've noticed several things wrong here.

1. Your only reviews are two-star reviews of Cheer-Accident records. This makes it seem like you hold a grudge against the band, which would explain some of your idiotic comments.

2. Not all prog has to have "mellotrons or fat analog synths". I guess I can understand why you dislike this band if you base your idea of prog-rock after dinosaurian 70s cliches.

3. At least 50 minutes of this record are great. Each of the 20-minute-plus epics on this record are about 70% great (marred by overly-long middle sections, I'll admit) plus there's "Smile" and
    "The Day After I Never Met You", two fantastic prog-pop tunes.

4. Also, the comment "you can't just skip the wonder bread. You have to eat the whole sandwich" seems to miss the point of the record. This isn't a pop record, with a few catchy 3-minute singles you can skip to and ignore the rest of the record. This is a double album. You are supposed to digest the whole thing- it's part of the listening experience. As a supposed prog fan, you oughta know this, man.

5. This record sounds great. There are no "digital compression artifacts"- I've listened to this record on top-notch headphones used for recording purposes, and it sounds as analog as anything else Albini's done. And the comment about the instruments sounding bad- how so? They're tuned well, and they aren't cheap garage-sale First Act brand crapola either. Are you insinuating that these guys don't play well? Because that's utterly absurd. Thymme Jones alone has enough talent for a dozen bands.

In conclusion, learn how to have a modicum of intelligence before you post any reviews, or you will wind up frustrating anyone who actually knows anything about music. Thanks!
    Dirk Funk
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

No references to laptops, so it can't be THE Skullhead. But...similarities abound otherwise!

That said, the eventual death of the scene, in a nutshell and already very in progress:

"I'd much rather beef up my collection of great, original 70's progressive rock than hear an above-average attempt to expand on this sound."
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    = Sever Roots, Tree Dies - and this was an obscure debut album in the year of Our Lord 1988!
    I bought that one at the time and didn't care for it. Still don't. As a result, I ignored subsequent releases. However, when I saw them live in 2004 (on a bill with Sleepytime and Faun Fables,) they were really good. So for me, a lot had changed with their sound between '88 and '04. Still haven't purchased anything else by them, but it's only a matter of time until Fear gets included in a purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I bought that one at the time and didn't care for it. Still don't. As a result, I ignored subsequent releases. However, when I saw them live in 2004 (on a bill with Sleepytime and Faun Fables,) they were really good. So for me, a lot had changed with their sound between '88 and '04. Still haven't purchased anything else by them, but it's only a matter of time until Fear gets included in a purchase.
    IMO

Sever Roots is really great. It's a high point of their 80s and 90s work.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Hah! There even IS some 'tron on Sever Roots, Tree Dies - and this was an obscure debut album in the year of Our Lord 1988!
    I believe that is actually their second release.

In any event, a great record! I bought it when it was released and was an immediate fan. It's always been one of my favorites.

I saw them on Wednesday night in Chapel Hill and had a chance to hang out with Thymme for a bit. I basically reiterated to him what Steve said about them only aspiring to be what they are, and that the thing I most admired about the band was that it was obvious that they weren't trying to sound like anyone in particular or to do anything in particular. They just did what seemed appropriate for the ideas they were having at the time they were working on any particular release. The result is an abundantly rich catalogue of music that's all over the place and that is devastatingly original and out of the box.

When I took out my LP of Sever Roots for him and Jeff to sign (I forgot to carry it to ProgDay in 2008), I think he was genuinely surprised, which, of course, was also a lot of fun for me. All of a sudden he had a flashback to 29 years ago.

Anyway, the gig was appropriately eclectic and fun. Quite a roller coaster ride. Of course, I was personally pleased to see some ProgDay people at the show, though many of them were newer attendees who had not seen the band back in 2008. It was especially fun watching all the younger people in the audience, those who were not in any way "prog fans," finding their own ways of relating to the music they were experiencing. And I must say that Thymme had some awesome balloon chops...