Thread: New Herd of Instinct- Incantation

New Herd of Instinct- Incantation

I saw there's a new album by Herd of Instinct out:
    https://herdofinstinct.bandcamp.com/album/incantation

I have the debut- and Like it - but I kind of lost sight of this band.
    The new one features vocals of Elaine di Falco of Thinking Plague fame.

Anyone heared it yet? Any thoughts?

I have all the Herd of Instinct CDs. Incantation is excellent, very much in line with what they've been doing. Elaine is only on a couple of tracks, honestly my memory of her performance is vague right now, I probably need to dig this out for a fresh spin. But I spun this a lot when I got it and definitely enjoyed it a lot.

I'd highly recommend you check out their other albums as well. I think they took a huge step forward with their second album, Conjure, and Manifestation is also excellent. Drone Priest is good, but for some reason I recall not liking it as much as those previous two. Incantation feels like a bit of a return to form, or the band being reinvigorated, possibly by the presence of some guests like Elaine.

If you like Herd of Instinct, you might also enjoy a band called Spoke of Shadows, who are similar and might be something of an offshoot of Herd.

Bill

I have all the HOI albums but I missed this release
    need to get it right away and see how it stacks up against all the other great albums of 2019
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I have all the HOI albums but I missed this release
    need to get it right away and see how it stacks up against all the other great albums of 2019
    Same. And Elaine is on it? Fabulous!

Had my first spin: certainly a lot more variety then I remember from the debut. For the Elaine fans (like me): she is on 2 songs and her voice is more used as an extra instrument embedded in the music. Sounds great but should not be a reason to buy the album.
    Some parts still remind of King Crimson, some parts more Post rock, some parts are more avant.

First impression is very positive. I am looking forward to more spins.
    I wonder why this band is not more discussed on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I wonder why this band is not more discussed on this forum.
    my thoughts precisely!

All 4 of their previous albums are excellent... looking forward to hearing this one when I get it
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Thanks for the heads up. Somehow this release snuck by. HoI is a great band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't heard the new one yet, but some time ago I wrote a review for Manifestiation:

HERD OF INSTINCT
    Manifestation
    (FIREPOOL RECORDS)
    After their Spoke Of Shadows-adventure drummer Bill Bachman and Warr-guitar-player Mark Cook were reunited with the remaining Herd Of Instinct-members. Since the latter formation has always presented itself with flexible line-ups, it’s not a surprise to see a couple of the same musicians on Manifestation that played on Spoke Of Shadows. With the new Chapman Stick-player Rick Read, who also handles fretless basses and Taurus-pedals, Cook also built in a stable factor to realise together the rhythmic structures taken over from the heritage of King Crimson by using mentioned instruments. With this it’s interesting to hear how functional the drumming of both Bachman and Ross Young is. Only when there’s really a climax required, the percussionists step up their game, in all other cases they leave the rhythmic dynamic to the Touch-guitar-players. Another aspect which shows the unique character of this American band is the way they enrich the instruments. The Mellotron has always been a much used weapon, which is brought into action again a lot. It gets company regularly from a Moog, violin and saxophone, while Bob Fisher’s flute is an ever returning element. The many-sided possibilities these instruments have are being used complete, through which a beautiful alternation of styles comes into being. Like this there are subdued symphonic songs like Baba Yaga and Nocturne, in which an acoustic guitar and a Mellotron-flute-violin-trio respectively attract attention. Next to them complex pieces turn up, in which even nu-metal elements are woven, like Dybbuk, enriched by a John Wetton-like solo, and the spooky Saddha, in which samples of spoken lyrics and Mellotron-choirs set the scene. And finally they produce frequently the typical compositions, which lean on King Crimson’s Discipline era, like Gridlock, Time And Again and the two-piece title-track.

Thanks for the reminder. I need to get this.