Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Vangelis

R.I.P. Vangelis

http://elsew.com/data/latest.htm#19-5-2022

“We regret to announce that the world renowned composer Vangelis has passed away on Tuesday, May 17th, late at night.”

It's feeling like the end of an era...

Oh no! Sad news, indeed.

Oh no! I've just been listening to his music this week due to some random urge. It actually passed through my mind that at his age, he might not be long for this world, but I had no idea he was ill nor that he had already passed.

I agree - it certainly does feel like the end of an era. He was one of a kind. There never has been any composer quite like him in his depth, breadth, and scope. The man composed and recorded music every day, so the Vangelis home archives must indeed be vast. I hope now that some of this can be heard at last.

R.I.P. to an amazing and inspirational musician.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    There never has been any composer quite like him in his depth, breadth, and scope.
    Amen. Vangelis was still making great music, too.

I think I'll put on L'Apocalypse des Animaux. It's lovely. One of his best.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    RIP
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I listened to Soil Festivities last night all night long on repeat. Today, I heard all of 1492: Conquest of Paradise as well as various individual tracks from throughout his career: Chung Kuo, Elsewhere, Theme from "Antarctica", Hymne, L'Enfant, To the Unknown Man, etc. All of this was before the news of his passing.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Er, I just read something that suggests this is a hoax?
    Wikipedia appears to be supporting the news of his death.

I listened to Soil Festivities last night all night long on repeat.
    Nice! I LOVE Soil Festivities. I always go out of my way to give it a rec because it seems to get lost in the shuffle. I love the album art/photography, too.

Yes, I love the artwork that he used. Much of it was his own photography (such as the cover of China, which is a blurry shot of Vangelis in a swimming pool). I've had a special affection for Ignacio, L'Apocalypse des Animaux, and Opera Sauvage. The only two I never warmed to were Beaubourg and Invisible Connections. I've enjoyed all the rest.

Wikipedia appears to be supporting the news of his death.
    Apparently some website tried to dispute it (they specialize in hoaxes), but it's official. Vangelis died in a hospital in France.

https://www.in.gr/2022/05/19/english...s-away-age-79/
    Last edited by dropforge; 05-19-2022 at 12:41 PM.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    That's a shock. Rest in peace to one of the more creative musicians of this lifetime.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

FUCK.

No more internet for me today, I'm at my bad news quota.

RIP to a very, very, very big influence and all time favorite.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Er, I just read something that suggests this is a hoax?
    I believe his attorney announced it
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

It's on the National Post now. From what I've read (elsewhere), it looks like he was being treated for COVID in France.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pm...ore-dies-at-79

R.I.P. Vangelis... a massive loss. And less than a month after Klaus.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Easily among my all-time favorite musicians. That huge rig that he had set up with all those rows of switches and the massive pedalboard so that he could compose, play, and record simultaneously was as fascinating as it was nearly unbelievable. What he could do spontaneously boggles the mind.

Yes, I love the artwork that he used. Much of it was his own photography (such as the cover of China, which is a blurry shot of Vangelis in a swimming pool). I've had a special affection for Ignacio, L'Apocalypse des Animaux, and Opera Sauvage. The only two I never warmed to were Beaubourg and Invisible Connections. I've enjoyed all the rest.
    Beaubourg is a weird one. I read a long time ago that he made it very quickly to fulfill his contract. I avoided it for many years, but then I heard it and ended up digging it. It's two sides of Van-styled synthetic weirdness that perhaps wouldn't tick any boxes if another muso tried to do the same thing with his own equipment. But the Van man always had that unique touch. Such a bummer to talk about him in the past tense now.

Ditto on Ignacio and Opera Sauvage.

Another one I love is Direct, from 1988, where he was getting back into his Albedo/Spiral swing with upbeat, prog rocky compositions.

Easily among my all-time favorite musicians. That huge rig that he had set up with all those rows of switches and the massive pedalboard so that he could compose, play, and record simultaneously was as fascinating as it was nearly unbelievable. What he could do spontaneously boggles the mind.
    Indeed, it was mind-boggling. That's the best descriptor.

I just listened to his final release a few days ago: Juno to Jupiter (2021). It's less overtly melodic than the music he is more well-known for, but it's still brimming with creativity and atmosphere and sits well alongside many of his other notable works.

Another one I love is Direct, from 1988, where he was getting back into his Albedo/Spiral swing with upbeat, prog rocky compositions.
    Direct is great! I first picked that one up on cassette in '94 during my post-army stint here in Korea. I recall listening to that one and Private Collection (w/Jon Anderson) on my 45-minute bus ride to my teaching job. Ah, such memories...

I just listened to his final release a few days ago: Juno to Jupiter (2021). It's less overtly melodic than the music he is more well-known for, but it's still brimming with creativity and atmosphere and sits well alongside many of his other notable works.
    It's a good semi-sequel to Rosetta, which I felt was the best thing he'd done in years (and fans seemed to unanimously agree).

Another one that grew on me like a rash was The City, the follow-up to Direct.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    FUCK.

No more internet for me today, I'm at my bad news quota.

RIP to a very, very, very big influence and all time favorite.
    I hear that. I hope we've hit the bad news quota for the rest of the year, because this one's a whopper.

I am already spinning 666 in tribute.

The leading horse is white...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

What? Shit, that sucks. I bet he and Jon Anderson never resolved their issues and the hatchet stayed buried. Oh well. RIP.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I am already spinning 666 in tribute.

The leading horse is white...
    Yeah, I immediately thought of that one, too. I spun that when Demis Roussos left us.

RIP