Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: You Went To A Concert To See The Support Act...

Original UK opening for April Wine

Hudson & Ford opening for Nazareth

Jeff Healey opening for Tom Cochrane

Considering I won the tickets to see Queen on the 1978 bicycle tour, I was just happy to go. I knew opening act Thin Lizzy but had no idea they would be THAT great. Queen was eardrum-shattering loud. "In retrospect", I would have gone just for Lizzy.

Also saw local NY faves The Good Rats open for Rush at Nassau Coliseum. Talk about an odd billing. I may have been the only person there who was a huge fan of both bands. Everyone else seemed divided, including the gent that pulled a knife and cut up a Rush fan's bedsheet banner...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    1) Saga in support of Billy Squier
    Yep. That was me too. The only way they ever would have made it to Tulsa, OK.

PFM opening for Dave Mason. Our group of PFM fans was the only one in the auditorium. People were looking at us like we were crazy, cheering wildly after every song. Then Dave came on and we left...

I can’t think of many times this has happened to me, other than festivals, but I do remember seeing a double bill of Jefferson Starship / Night Ranger where JS were the opening act and I went specifically to see them.

Kevin Gilbert -- headliner: Jonatha Brooke & The Story
    Kevin Gilbert -- headliner: Linda Perry
    Vinnie Vincent Invasion -- headliner: Iron Maiden
    Live -- headliner: Oasis
    House Of Lords -- headliner: Nelson
    Bryan Adams -- headliner: Def Leppard
    KISS -- headliner: Aerosmith
    Mandy Moore -- headliner: Paula Cole
    Slaughter -- headliner: Poison
    Slaughter -- headliner: Great White
    Alien Ant Farm -- headliner: Linkin Park
    Poison/Cinderella -- headliner: EZO
    Ace Frehley -- headliner: Alice Cooper

Triumvirat opening for ELO. Triumvirat were touring behind their Spartacus album and were fantastic! ELO came on and just banged away on their instruments. It was an impressive wall of sound, but we were bored after a couple of songs. We left after that. (I do like ELO but did not like them live that evening.)

Lucky Man
    Gentle Giant with Rennaissance

Al DiMeola with Kenny Loggins
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Morrissey opening for David Bowie around 95, Wembley Arena. I only went because a mate was big into The Smiths/Morrissey. On the night Morrissey was very good, didn't enjoy Bowie at all. He was going through a phase where he refused to play anything except from his current and current-1 albums, it was pretty dull.

Edit: So I looked up the setlist and my recollection was a little off, there were a few older numbers after all but the large number of songs from 1.Outside seemed to drag the whole thing down.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/david...-63d0ea43.html

Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    Morrissey opening for David Bowie around 95, Wembley Arena. I only went because a mate was big into The Smiths/Morrissey. On the night Morrissey was very good, didn't enjoy Bowie at all. He was going through a phase where he refused to play anything except from his current and current-1 albums, it was pretty dull.

Edit: So I looked up the setlist and my recollection was a little off, there were a few older numbers after all but the large number of songs from 1.Outside seemed to drag the whole thing down.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/david...-63d0ea43.html
    He made a point of not playing "the hits", e.g. Ziggy Stardust himself, Space Oddity, Let's Dance, etc during that era. That started with Tin Machine, I believe. The only hit I see in that setlist is Under Pressure, which maybe he played because he didn't play it much (if at all?) during the 80's, so he wasn't as sick of it as he was of China Girl or Young Americans. I think it's interesting he played all three of the singles from Lodger (or if they weren't actually singles, there were at videos done for all three) in 1995. Cool.
    Triumvirat opening for ELO. Triumvirat were touring behind their Spartacus album and were fantastic! ELO came on and just banged away on their instruments. It was an impressive wall of sound, but we were bored after a couple of songs. We left after that. (I do like ELO but did not like them live that evening.)
    My impression is that ELO just were one of those bands who were much better in the studio than they were on stage.

Spock's Beard open for Dream Theater (did this twice in 2000)

District 97 open for Agents of Mercy

1975 Gentle Giant in support of Alvin Lee. Another band called American Tears went on first. My first time seeing GG after their set many of us headed for the exits.

Back when i was in highshool...buddy and I went to see Irish band Horslips. They were on a double bill with a band we'd never heard of - Crack The Sky. We were shocked to the core when the show started and out came Horslips. We looked at each other like WTF?? hahahaha Horslips...the opener?? They played a 45 minute set! We were so pissed off lol. So after Horslips, we looked around and saw that most of the balcony was empty. So we thought we'd sneak up there, smoke a fatty and catch a few minutes of CtS before heading out. However, we quickly realized why they were the headliners that night. We got wasted and sat alone up in the balcony enjoying a great show by CtS.

Just thought of one more. UK opening for Al Dimeola in 1978 at the Calderone concert hall on Long Island.

My first ever concert back in the 70s

The Outlaws opened for Lynyrd Skynyrd and blew them off the stage.

Gentle Giant opening for Strawbs (Strawbs were good too, of course, but nothing like GG)
    Jeff Beck opening for Aerosmith (Didn't care at all for Aerosmith that night)
    Single Gun Theory opening for Sarah McLachlan (Sarah was surprisingly excellent live-even better than Single Gun Theory)

UK opening for Al Demeola at the Santa Monica Civic. Obviously, I went to see Demeola, also.

Cynic opening for Meshuggha. Went for Meshuggha also, but Cynic was the main draw for me.

One that is a bit embarrassing, but I went to see Renaissance open for Gentle Giant (I was a bit late to the party with GG) at the Shrine Auditorium. Renaissance is a phenomenal band, of course, but they are not GG. GG became my favorite band that night.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Sun Ra & the Arkestra opening for the Yellowjackets 1985 or 86?
    Danny Gatton for the Radiators 1991

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    My first ever concert back in the 70s

The Outlaws opened for Lynyrd Skynyrd and blew them off the stage.
    Saw The Outlaws open for The Charlie Daniels Band and had the same experience. After the CDB finished up and the houselights came on an announcer came on the stage and said that The Outlaws wanted to come back on and do another set if anyone wanted to stick around (this was at a large club). It took about 45 minutes to get the CDB band stuff off the stage and The Outlaws stuff set back up, but they did come back out and kicked ass with another set to a very small crowd of people left. Never seen something like that happen before.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Sun Ra & the Arkestra opening for the Yellowjackets 1985 or 86?
    You saw WHAT?! Talk about a mismatched bill!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Saw The Outlaws open for The Charlie Daniels Band and had the same experience. After the CDB finished up and the houselights came on an announcer came on the stage and said that The Outlaws wanted to come back on and do another set if anyone wanted to stick around (this was at a large club). It took about 45 minutes to get the CDB band stuff off the stage and The Outlaws stuff set back up, but they did come back out and kicked ass with another set to a very small crowd of people left. Never seen something like that happen before.
    I only got to see The Outlaws once, in about 2005, something like that. Great show, it was the first tour they did after Hughie Thomason left that Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute band he had been in and went back to fronting The Outlaws, and Henry Paul, Monte Yoho and Dave Dix all returned. THey played a great, great show, ending with, I'm not sure how long it was, I don't think it was quite as long as the one on Bring It Back Alive, but they played a long version of Green Grass And High Tides.

Not long after that, Henry Paul left the band again, and then a couple years later, Hughie passed away. I gather Henry Paul has been fronting a version of The Outlaws since then, but I got the rare chance to see both Hughie (the only band member to be in every lineup) and Henry (who had left the band after the third album, and only returned for the tour I saw them on) together.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I only got to see The Outlaws once, in about 2005, something like that. Great show, it was the first tour they did after Hughie Thomason left that Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute band he had been in and went back to fronting The Outlaws, and Henry Paul, Monte Yoho and Dave Dix all returned. THey played a great, great show, ending with, I'm not sure how long it was, I don't think it was quite as long as the one on Bring It Back Alive, but they played a long version of Green Grass And High Tides.

Not long after that, Henry Paul left the band again, and then a couple years later, Hughie passed away. I gather Henry Paul has been fronting a version of The Outlaws since then, but I got the rare chance to see both Hughie (the only band member to be in every lineup) and Henry (who had left the band after the third album, and only returned for the tour I saw them on) together.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

It has been long enough ago that I do not remember what lineup I saw or even what year it was. It might have been 2005, but it seems like it was further back than that. The current version of The Outlaws featuring Henry Paul and Monte Yoho from the classic years put out an excellent album in 2012 entitled "It's About Pride". It goes a little bit too far into country on a track or two, but overall I think it ranks up with The Outlaws classics from the 70's.

Johnny Winter opening for George Thorogood

Last year I went to see a quadruple bill: Lucky Tubb, Nashville Pussy, Unknown Hinson, with Rev. Horton Heat as the headliner. I went primarily to see the Pussy and Unknown Hinson. Both were superb as expected. The Rev was OK by me, but not a do-over. The big surprise was the opener Lucky Tubb, relative of Ernest Tubb. Lucky was the best of the bunch.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.