Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Cruise to the Edge

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Must admit I'm really having a hard time getting my head around this. Good luck to them but just don't feel right.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    You mean, other than them? I seriously have always loved the Moodies, but soft pop/prog is what they are imo.
    call em what you will...still a great band and great live act. Seeing them in Atlantic City at the end of the month.

Banned
    the line-up for the Moodies cruise is outstanding- Greg Lake, Ambrosia, Freaking Zombies - are you kidding me?? Prog Collective with Sherwood and Kaye, John Paynes Asia and one of my guilty pleasures- Little River Band.

We're going to figure out over next weekend how we can do this cruise. The line up is mind blowing. But so is the total cost.

And I'm an old Zebra fan to boot. Saw them in the mid 80's and they kick all kinds of ass live. This is the real Randy Jackson, not that poser on TV! I would say they definitely are not prog, but one of the finest classic rock bands.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    one of my guilty pleasures- Little River Band.
    With none of the original members

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    With none of the original members
    Does it have any of the important members? Being an original member is over-rated. Renaissance (by 1970) and Soft Machine (by 1977) both ceased to have any original members while still having loved and admired line-ups.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Does it have any of the important members?
    No. It is a name only

Banned
    That is correct- Little River Band only has Wayne Nelson who dates back to the late 70's when he joined the band. Its lame but taken at face value, they are a very tight sounding band. Steve Housden also a late 70's member stopped touring with the band but is still technically part of the band, sort of the way Maurice White is part of Earth Wind and Fire. I'm not defending not having any original members in the band, that's why I called them a guilty pleasure.

regarding bassist for nektar--not sure, but hopefully it's lux vibratus. he played with them a few years back at nyc show and i was blown away. i had concerns he wouldn't connect with the music in the same way, but he was spot on. very nice guy, too.

Quote Originally Posted by smoggyd View Post
    regarding bassist for nektar--not sure, but hopefully it's Lux Vibratus.
    I'd agree with that choice wholeheartedly... he was great on the Space-Rock tour,
    however, it will be up to Lux, Roye, Ron & Cleopatra... even IF he is able to sign on.

I'm seriously considering this.....but what about the sound system on the boat? Bad sound equals wasted money in my opinion. Any word on the sound system being used?

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    I'm seriously considering this.....but what about the sound system on the boat? Bad sound equals wasted money in my opinion. Any word on the sound system being used?
    Fom the cruise's website.

Best Performance Theater – From the stage size to acoustics to sight lines, the MSC Poesia is the best floating theater on the planet. It’s the music that matters! According to Production expert William Deavers of www.LoudAndClear.com, “The MSC Poesia is simply the best cruise ship venue in the world for Rock Music Festivals at Sea, bar none.”

Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    Fom the cruise's website.

Best Performance Theater – From the stage size to acoustics to sight lines, the MSC Poesia is the best floating theater on the planet. It’s the music that matters! According to Production expert William Deavers of www.LoudAndClear.com, “The MSC Poesia is simply the best cruise ship venue in the world for Rock Music Festivals at Sea, bar none.”
    The MSC Poesia is the same boat used for the Monster's Of Rock cruise ... which I attend earlier this year. Very good overall sound in the main theater, the swimming pool deck and even the interior lounges. The only problems came from weather for the pool deck. Rain, wind and a rocking ship during the rough seas can be hard on the bands and the sound. Likewise, the interior lounges can have low ceilings and small stages. But the main theater is perfect. Most of the bands get at least one opportunity to play the main theater during the cruise and play other venues for a total of two or three times during the cruise. Some play the same set and others change it up. A few even invite guests on stage from other bands. If you're lucky, a few members get together afterhours to jam

I was tempted by this prog cruise but not enough bang for the buck and I already have two other cruises lined up for 2013.

I liked the food on the MSC lines but didn't care for their beer selection. All Pilners and Lagers. Not a single amber or dark beer in the bunch. I guess they figure all Americans have simple taste.

Lux Vibratus is the most likely candidate as the bass player for Nektar right now...
    especially as he seems to be the perfect fit.
    Last edited by Mick; 11-28-2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Update

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Lux Vibratos is the most likely candidate as the bass player for Nektar right now...
    especially if all falls into place.
    That doesn't look like a real name. So what is his real name?

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

OK, As of today, it IS official.. Lux WILL be playing bass with Roye, Ron & Klaus on the cruise.

.... but following the recent cruise ship events, if you are planning on going, PLEASE read the fine print on your "contract" which accompanies the ticket... as cruise lines are not responsible for a lot of situations, especially if the ship is registered outside of the United States.

Might want to bring along some zip-loc bags, too.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Also, for those who haven't seen the other thread, Yes have screwed their vocalist...again!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Also, for those who haven't seen the other thread, Yes have screwed their vocalist...again!
    Screwed is a bit of a stretch.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    please....can't we keep this as a PRO-cruise thread?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Jed can't help himself. Still struggling to get my head around a cruise that is a festival but I'm sure those that go will love it
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    please....can't we keep this as a PRO-cruise thread?
    Yes!

This IS a pro-cruise thread, because despite the obvious distain by a few jealous members who can't afford to go, this thread is still informing everyone of any line-up changes and situation updates.
    Power to those who support it, as progressive music needs as much positive input as possible to keep the genre respectfully acknowledged in the industry right now.... no matter what.

I started a thread a couple weeks back inquiring as to is going on the cruise (I will be going with my wife BTW). Only got a couple of responses. I'm still curious how many PE folks will be going. It is only about 5 weeks away now. It is something I am quite looking forward to, and I agree with Mick, prog needs all the support it can get!