Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Gong - Angel's Egg

The older I get the more I am fond of the pre trilogy bands
    Camembert is such a classic

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I am fond of the pre trilogy bands
    How do you feel about the Continental Circus recordings, Udi?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I like Pierre Moerlen's Gong, but this is defenitly not for me. Perhaps I should look into Gazeuse. The first Gong I have is Expresso II.
    I prefer Gazeuse as an album. Its a band.
    Expresso II is just as good, but its not like one band.

Gazeuse is by a DIFFERENT group; a MUCH DIFFERENT style - but good in its own way!

Got a one word response from Jonny G when I asked if the Universal Trilogy release was still planned or cancelled. "Coming," he said.

That's good news!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The older I get the more I am fond of the pre trilogy bands
    Camembert is such a classic
    While I like ContiCir, I'm really of fan of Obsolete... To me, that's where Gong really got it together.

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Well obviously its not a "proper" studio album more like a "gig" nevertheless it has that vibe the glissando is dirty and abrasive the spacewhisper Christian Tritch's throbbing bass
    I also love the earlier incarnations Magic Brother and the 1970 band

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    That's good news!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Well obviously its not a "proper" studio album more like a "gig" nevertheless it has that vibe the glissando is dirty and abrasive the spacewhisper Christian Tritch's throbbing bass
    Wow, I’ve never seen that footage! Cool!!! I thought there was very little Gong footage, but maybe just what’s been sold on DVD is minimal. Anyway this is cool. Perhaps a tad too abrasive for me, but still way cool to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    While I like ContiCir, I'm really of fan of Obsolete... To me, that's where Gong really got it together.

After reading your comments I popped that CD in today.. it's been a while since I listened to it..Thanks for the reminder.. Long track is the highlight for me.. Nice follow up to listening to Pip Pyle's 7 year Itch yesterday.. then as an added bonus I threw in Daevid's The Man from Gong this afternoon while running errands.. Think I've got my Gong fix for a while..

Wow, that video was SICK (in the best possible way)

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    After reading your comments I popped that CD in today.. it's been a while since I listened to it..Thanks for the reminder.. Long track is the highlight for me.. Nice follow up to listening to Pip Pyle's 7 year Itch yesterday.. then as an added bonus I threw in Daevid's The Man from Gong this afternoon while running errands.. Think I've got my Gong fix for a while..
    But you haven't got your Melmoth/Hedayatt fix yet, so check out his first album, just as brilliant, albeit a totally different beast (nothing to do with Gong).

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I Love Moerlen's playing so much on this album. He has a light jazzy feel when required but then can prog the F out with the best of them.

One of the most powerful drumming in prog I quess....and the best Gong album along with You IMHO....

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Rare as hen's teeth

Wow, more excellent stuff, artfully filmed too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekanik Zain View Post
    One of the most powerful drumming in prog I quess
    Technically speaking, Moerlen was arguably the single finest "prog" drummer/percussionist of them all - at least until Morgan Ågren came along. Although basically he was "calssically" trained, so I suppose that somehow rules him out (Moerlen, I mean).

As for vintage Gong, there's also the too-often-forgotten album by Ame Son, who served as Allen's backing group right before he formed the main band. Ha, it must be 15 years at minimum sincle last I heard anything from Catalyse:
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Wow, more excellent stuff, artfully filmed too.
    Yeah, that was so cool to see.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

It's night - it's not night. Angelic and hot at the same time. RIP - until la prochaine fois.

I dig me some Angel's Egg. In fact, I dig much of the Gong and related stuff, particularly Flying Teapot through Gazeuse! (Expresso). Angel's Egg and You are probably my favorites, but I like pretty much all Gong stuff including the last two. The vibe, playing, tunes, and concept come together the strongest for me on Angel's Egg and You. So many of the offshoots are cool as well, including Hillage's Fish Rising and Green. I actually owned Green before You (and maybe any Gong albums, can't quite remember), so I was super happy when I heard the om riff in Master Builder. New York Gong is another cool project. I don't dig it as much as some of the other stuff, but I find it an important project because Material and, arguably, Massacre resulted from it. Material's Memory Serves and Massacre's Killing Time are super awesome and long-time favorites of mine. I am always intrigued by connections, musical and otherwise. Where the tendrils of the Gong rhizome led and reached is pretty groovy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    It's night - it's not night. Angelic and hot at the same time. RIP - until la prochaine fois.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Cheers

I always say my favourite Gong record is Camembert Electrique but really, whichever one of Camembert, Flying Teapot, Angel's Egg or You I'm listening to at the time is my favourite Gong album.

Four brilliantly different but totally visionary records. I can't imagine what my life may have been if I'd never heard them.

Not a whiff of 'oh I wish they hadn't done that bit' about any of them to these ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    ? - Sold to the Highest Buddha from is from Gong: Angels Egg - is it inspired from an SM tune?
    Well, persistance is sometimes rewarded. Please people confirm that I am not hearing ghosts, and Highest Buddha uses the exact same bass line from Soft Machine's Facelift, introduced at about the 8th minute onwards

This is creditless of course, but I always considered it as some sort of humorous, self-referential hommage to David's Allen past.