Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Evolved Music"

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I find it more rewarding to listen to Rice Krispies, though, in honor of a certain recently-banned member, I'll add that Cocoa Krispies are just as good.

Joseph Hammer uses tape manipulation/electronics.Hammer is associated with the LAFMS(Los Angeles Free Music Society).This track is from his solo album Roadless Travel.I spin it every once in a great while, when i'm feeling evolved as all fuck.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I find it more rewarding to listen to Rice Krispies, though, in honor of a certain recently-banned member, I'll add that Cocoa Krispies are just as good.
    Rice Krispies are great for simulating vinyl noise.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I guess i don't know where to start, let alone talk about this music. The stuff I'm posting below has been near and dear to me for decades but I have ZERO illusions that other folks will like it/have the patience for it/try to understand it (hell, I barely understand it)/even recognize it as music as it's commonly defined (rhythm, melody, lyrical etc.).

If you can accept the fact that music is organized sounds then maybe, just maybe there will be a connection with some of this stuff. Now I know "organized sounds" is very "all encompassing" but honestly, I don't know how else to say that the following (at least to me) IS music.

One thing, listening to a Youtube track on a computer is NOT the way to hear this music. For me, this stuff is a very private experience and it deserves respect and utmost attention and should be heard as such. What that means may be different to different people, but I can tell you it doesn't mean listening to a youtube track off a computer.

Anyway, here are a few off the top of my head...no comments added by me.

David Dunn

Iancu Dumestrescu

Natasha Barrett
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

...3 more...

Bernard Parmegiani

Francoise Bayle

Francis Dhomont

...and a couple more...

Pierre Henry

Iannis Xenakis

...thats enough...safe journeys!

best
    Michael

actually, I lied, how can I forget...

Tod Dockstader

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Rice Krispies are great for simulating vinyl noise.
    That's why they're warmer. (post #11)

To summarize where we've gone so far:
    • Mascodagama: Anthony Pateras - I don't hear a lot of influences, or what I described as "evolved music" in this piece, just a lot of random organ notes. Sorry!
    • Mascodagama: Veli Kujala - a very-Messiaenic organ concerto. Interesting but very conventional
    • hFx: Erik Mikael Karlsson - an interesting blend of contemporary classical and tape-music. Best suggestion so far
    • thedunno: Julia Holter - not sure if this was a serious suggestion or not, but if it was, you need to re-read the opening post
    • walt: Kali Malone - see Anthony Pateras above
    • Zeuhlmate: A. Avraamov - nothing much happens here. Can't hear a lot of influences / blending / evolution
    • Zeuhlmate: Mosolov - see Kujala above (but substitute Xenakis)
    • Zeuhlmate: Henry Cow "Western Culture" - yes, it's highly evolved but we're all familiar with it
    • hFx: Duck Army - extend it out to 20 minutes and you might have something
    • battema: Lingua Ignota - an odd mix of skronk & goth, but they exist in isolation of each other
    • battema: Jenna Sutela - backwards vocals do not an innovation make
    • chalkpie: Lutoslawski - see Henry Cow above
    • progmatist: Banco - oh, a pun. I see what you did there.
    • Sturgeon's Lawyer: Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music - not so much "evolved" as "unlistenable"
    • walt: Joseph Hammer - yikes, has this guy been listening to Lou Reed?
    • neuroticdog: David Dunn, Iancu Dumitrescu, Natasha Barrett, Bernard Parmegiani, François Bayle, Francis Dhomont, Pierre Henry, Iannis Xenakis, Tod Dockstader - were all very evolved 50 years ago. I was hoping to be introduced to something new

Incidentally, David Dunn's "Angels and Insects" and "The Sound of Light in the Trees" are better examples IMO
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 08-10-2019 at 11:53 PM.

Obviously I'm having trouble defining what I mean by "evolved music" so here's another example:

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    To summarize where we've gone so far:
    • Mascodagama: Anthony Pateras - I don't hear a lot of influences, or what I described as "evolved music" in this piece, just a lot of random organ notes. Sorry!
    • Mascodagama: Veli Kujala - a very-Messiaenic organ concerto. Interesting but very conventional
    • hFx: Erik Mikael Karlsson - an interesting blend of contemporary classical and tape-music. Best suggestion so far
    • thedunno: Julia Holter - not sure if this was a serious suggestion or not, but if it was, you need to re-read the opening post
    • walt: Kali Malone - see Anthony Pateras above
    • Zeuhlmate: A. Avraamov - nothing much happens here. Can't hear a lot of influences / blending / evolution
    • Zeuhlmate: Mosolov - see Kujala above (but substitute Xenakis)
    • Zeuhlmate: Henry Cow "Western Culture" - yes, it's highly evolved but we're all familiar with it
    • hFx: Duck Army - extend it out to 20 minutes and you might have something
    • battema: Lingua Ignota - an odd mix of skronk & goth, but they exist in isolation of each other
    • battema: Jenna Sutela - backwards vocals do not an innovation make
    • chalkpie: Lutoslawski - see Henry Cow above
    • progmatist: Banco - oh, a pun. I see what you did there.
    • Sturgeon's Lawyer: Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music - not so much "evolved" as "unlistenable"
    • walt: Joseph Hammer - yikes, has this guy been listening to Lou Reed?
    • neuroticdog: David Dunn, Iancu Dumitrescu, Natasha Barrett, Bernard Parmegiani, François Bayle, Francis Dhomont, Pierre Henry, Iannis Xenakis, Tod Dockstader - were all very evolved 50 years ago. I was hoping to be introduced to something new

Incidentally, David Dunn's "Angels and Insects" and "The Sound of Light in the Trees" are better examples IMO
    Tough audience(of one)

Obviously I'm having trouble defining what I mean by "evolved music" so here's another example:

If this is what you understand as evolved you could look at Nils Petter Molvær's or Bugge Wesseltoft's fusion

Yes! I absolutely adore NPM and Jan Bang and Arve Henriksen and Eivind Aarset and Stian Westerhus and Herik Honoré and that whole Norwegian nu-jazz movement. Yes, it is very highly evolved.

But don't get too caught-up in the "sounds like" comparisons. I wasn't looking for more examples of stuff I've already found. I'm looking for new fusions, new directions, new explorations in directions maybe you've only just discovered yourself.

Bugge Wesseltoft is a name I've seen, but haven't really explored. Recommendations?
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 08-11-2019 at 08:59 AM.

Bugge is on the same page as Molvær, sometimes more electronic, sometimes more jazzy. I dont own any of his records though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aDkQ36OoYk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Apdcp-n15g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89q0jdW04k8

I suppose you know Supersilent ?

That's why they're warmer. (post #11)
    I was speaking more along the lines of the VST plugins which intentionally add vinyl noise, as a sound effect.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I suppose you know Supersilent ?
    I only have 5 & 6, but the totally-improvised nature of 'em doesn't really thrill me.

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I only have 5 & 6, but the totally-improvised nature of 'em doesn't really thrill me.
    6 was and is their masterwork, on more or less universal consent. If that one doesn't thrill you, the Supers aren't really for you.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yes! I absolutely adore NPM and Jan Bang and Arve Henriksen and Eivind Aarset and Stian Westerhus and Herik Honoré and that whole Norwegian nu-jazz movement. Yes, it is very highly evolved.

But don't get too caught-up in the "sounds like" comparisons. I wasn't looking for more examples of stuff I've already found. I'm looking for new fusions, new directions, new explorations in directions maybe you've only just discovered yourself.

Bugge Wesseltoft is a name I've seen, but haven't really explored. Recommendations?
    Ah, hmmmm...that'll take a bit more work but we'll see what we can conjure up

Teeth of the Sea was a bit of a surprise discovery recently, electronica/post-rock/noir mashup that at least to my ears was a bit new but may be too close to the stuff you mentioned above.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    6 was and is their masterwork, on more or less universal consent. If that one doesn't thrill you, the Supers aren't really for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Apart of Supersilent and on a different realm, of interest are their member's Helge Sten recordings as Deathprod. Of which Treetop Drive and Morals And Dogma (on a post-industrial, dark ambient style) are most recommended.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Ah, hmmmm...that'll take a bit more work but we'll see what we can conjure up

Teeth of the Sea was a bit of a surprise
    Their first three albums are all excellent and true forward thinking music to my ears. I was somewhat deceived from Highly Deadly Black Tarantula and Wraith though, they are dominated by an atmosphere of "rethinking" instead of "progressing".
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Hmmm, Teeth of the Sea is new to me. Thanks for the recommendation! They sound pretty interesting so far. They certainly have no lack of self-respect: "Since their formation in 2006, London-based Teeth Of The Sea have metamorphosized into the most adventurous psychedelic rock outfit in the UK. Taking on board influences like Morricone, Eno, Delia Derbyshire, Goblin, and the Butthole Surfers, they’ve arrived at an incendiary sound that marries the aural enlightenment of an avant-garde sensibility with the reckless abandon of trashy rock & roll."

Heh. I just noticed Discogs has them listed as "Krautrock." I wonder how that happens?
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 08-12-2019 at 10:02 AM.

Minor snob moment ahead...Supersilent didn't really click for me until I saw it done live. The recordings just didn't quite capture the insane amount of energy put forth from the stage.

And yes...Deathprod's early works (especially Treetop Drive) are phenomenal. Seeing him at Big Ears was one of the greatest live concerts I've ever experienced.

It's been a few years, but when I first came in contact with Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble they threw me quite the curveball as well. I'd not quite heard anything like them before (I think it was the album "Here Be Dragons"). They're done but the main guy evolved into The Thing with Five Eyes, which again isn't necessarily going to push all the "evolved" buttons but if nothing else, it'll buy me time while I try to think of something else

https://thethingwithfiveeyes.bandcamp.com/
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post

Teeth of the Sea was a bit of a surprise discovery recently, electronica/post-rock/noir mashup .
    New to me.I checked out a couple of their releases. I dig!!.I ordered two cds from them.Thanks John.