Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good News for Cakewalk users!

^^ Totally agree. However, I'm still on Windows XP and the new version doesn't run on it. Sonar 5, I believe, is the most powerful audio engine for my hardware/software configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    ^^ Totally agree. However, I'm still on Windows XP and the new version doesn't run on it. Sonar 5, I believe, is the most powerful audio engine for my hardware/software configuration.
    I still have a box with XP and versions 6, 7, and X1 installed. If I can find my hard copy maybe I can send it to you.
    <sig out of order>

^^ That's very kind, but I think versions beyond Sonar 5 require a 64 bit operating system. I'm at 32!😱

^^ That's very kind, but I think versions beyond Sonar 5 require a 64 bit operating system. I'm at 32!��
    ^^ Up through X3 can be installed as either 32 or 64 bit. It's only the newest iteration that's 64 bit only. The latest version I know for sure is capable of running on XP is 8.5. I've never tried installing X1, so Plasmatopia may be right.
    Last edited by progmatist; 09-28-2019 at 03:50 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I guess that depends on the software. I was able to cross transfer a lot of my softsynths over to my new PC when I bought it solely for music production.
    But I still needed to apply the serial # on some of them. And sometimes they would take me back to my registered account to verify.
    And most recently I've had a nightmare when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
    I began working on a project the other day and went to load Ominsiphere, but when I did a message popped up in Cubase from Omnisphere saying I needed to register. So I had to go through the whole re-registration of Omnisphere on the Spectrasonics website, even tho I had the serial #.
    Windows 10 has messed me up big time in some cases. I have a copy of Rob Papen's Albino 2 which loads perfectly and works after I insert the serial # in the back, but after I shut it down it doesn't remember the serial #. LinPlug support doesn't exist anymore. It may be I installed Cubase 6 on the new computer as 64 bit and not 32..who knows.

So I can only say from my own experience, and yours may vary, that installation is probably variable.

I personally would be leary of paying money for a copy of Cakewalk, when it's basically free, and the registration/serial may or may not work. There is no support as far as I know, but perhaps someone on a Cakewalk forum would know for sure.
    Many of the plugins and such were third party, and many of those companies do/did indeed require internet activation.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ Up through X3 can be installed as either 32 or 64 bit. It's only the newest iteration that's 64 bit only. The latest version I know for sure is capable of running on XP is 8.5. I've never tried installing X1, so Plasmatopia may be right.
    From the old Cakewalk forum it looks like up to 8.5 can be installed on an XP/32 bit platform. I had thought 5 was the last. Thanks for that info!

Many of the plugins and such were third party, and many of those companies do/did indeed require internet activation.
    Great info!
    From the old Cakewalk forum it looks like up to 8.5 can be installed on an XP/32 bit platform. I had thought 5 was the last. Thanks for that info!
    That's great news, please update us on your situation.

I really like how members try to help one another like this.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

There is one **HUGE** caveat: In order to install 8.5, 8.0 must already be installed. 8.5 was a weird point release situation.

I found the DVD with Sonar 6 Studio Edition on it and there is a code in the case. I also have a Sonar 6 Power book. Send me a PM, guitarplyrjvb, if you're interested. I don't want any money, but maybe something to cover shipping?
    <sig out of order>

^^ I just bought a used copy of Sonar 8 Producer from Ebay for $20. I really appreciate your kindness, though! I wonder, since VSampler requires a separate registration code, when I install Sonar 8, will it write over my old plug-ins and require re-registration even though most of these products are defunct?

I think it's amazing that Bandlab offers the latest Sonar for free. It really is a wonderful package! I presume they figure they'll rake in revenues from those that want add-ons and virtual instruments.

^^ I just bought a used copy of Sonar 8 Producer from Ebay for $20. I really appreciate your kindness, though! I wonder, since VSampler requires a separate registration code, when I install Sonar 8, will it write over my old plug-ins and require re-registration even though most of these products are defunct?

I think it's amazing that Bandlab offers the latest Sonar for free. It really is a wonderful package! I presume they figure they'll rake in revenues from those that want add-ons and virtual instruments.
    No problem. Seems like your already-installed plug-ins should be fine.
    <sig out of order>

If you already have the long, cryptic VSampler reg code, you're fine...you'll still be able to use it. Generating a new one would be impossible since the company went under more than a decade ago.

EDIT: I would recommend also getting 8.5. 8.0 was plagued with so many issues, it wasn't really practical to patch it. Instead, they issued a point release.

There's a world full of people who believe quality software should be available for free. There's a plethora of software released under the GNU ("GGuh-new") public license.
    Last edited by progmatist; 09-30-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Last night I test installed X1 on an old XP machine. It does in fact install and run. X1 was really a sweet spot of a version, much like Windows 95c ("Chicago") was a great operating system for its time.

Last night I test installed X1 on an old XP machine. It does in fact install and run. X1 was really a sweet spot of a version, much like Windows 95c ("Chicago") was a great operating system for its time.
    I'd be curious to see if X1 (or even versions 6 or 7 which I also own) would install in Windows 10 using compatibility mode. Maybe one of these days I'll have an opportunity to try that.

Hmmm....I just realized that I could try to install it on my wife's all-in-one Windows 10 machine, but it probably wouldn't be of much use after it was installed.
    <sig out of order>

So I was able to install version 6 (Studio Edition) in Windows 10 last night. It seemed to run okay, but I couldn't really test it properly since I don't have a recording interface to connect it to without moving the computer down to my music room. When it was installing a message popped up that the (I think) C++ redistributable was being "configured". I wasn't really sure what that was going to do, but I canceled that and Sonar still ran. I was worried about what might be overwritten in that process (like newer C++ libraries might be overwritten by old stuff and something unrelated to Sonar might be broken). I just talked to one of our software guys this morning and he said there's likely no harm in letting it be configured/installed - it will be in a separate folder somewhere. I could always reinstall.

Edit: of course one could question the value of doing any of this on a Windows 10 machine since there's the more recent and free version available.
    Last edited by Plasmatopia; 10-03-2019 at 09:46 AM.
    <sig out of order>

I can only say one thing...Windows 10 is evil!! I upgraded(free) several months ago from 7 and I'm having nothing but issues with my DAW Cubase 6 software. It ran rock solid on 7 for years but now I have crashes out of nowhere, my Roland Studio Capture keeps crashing and even my other PC which never gave me problems is having problems..and yes, I have all of the updates. That's part of the problem I think, because it's after some of these updates I will have a new issue or two.
    Although keeping 7 would've exposed me to security risks, I often wish I hadn't upgraded!! errrrrrrr
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

If you ever get those issues sorted out you might want to try shutting off the automatic updates.
    <sig out of order>

I just found this and I noticed someone fixed their Quad Capture using this method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2aSb4q2Kvw
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I'd be curious to see if X1 (or even versions 6 or 7 which I also own) would install in Windows 10 using compatibility mode. Maybe one of these days I'll have an opportunity to try that.

Hmmm....I just realized that I could try to install it on my wife's all-in-one Windows 10 machine, but it probably wouldn't be of much use after it was installed.
    X1 should run natively on Win10. What would be problematic is 8.5 and earlier, due to the older codebase which was compatible with WinXP. In my experience, more heavy duty apps using a wider variety of system resources, like DAW software, don't play well with Win10 compatibility mode.

X1 should run natively on Win10. What would be problematic is 8.5 and earlier, due to the older codebase which was compatible with WinXP. In my experience, more heavy duty apps using a wider variety of system resources, like DAW software, don't play well with Win10 compatibility mode.
    Good to know! At this point it would be a merely academic exercise to try to install the older versions at some point on a system with an actual recording interface connected. X1 seems like a much better idea, although maybe the free version is better anyway?
    <sig out of order>

If you ever get those issues sorted out you might want to try shutting off the automatic updates.
    Windows 10 doesn't offer the option to disable updates. You can pause them to up to 30 days maximum, after that they'll load automatically.
    Windows 10 has taken away options from the consumer and forces them to accept the way they tell you, unlike previous releases where they offered options.
    Windows 10 is a perfect example of an out of control software company which has become arrogant and exhibits the attitude, that's the way you'll do it and we don't care how you feel about it.
    There are some workarounds to disabling the updates, but Microsoft has made certain you almost have to be in IT to figure it out.

I just found this and I noticed someone fixed their Quad Capture using this method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2aSb4q2Kvw
    Wow, so I'm not the only one with the same issue.
    I love my Studio Capture, it's the best sounding audio interface I've owned, previous was the Focusrite and TC Impact Twin. I'm still using a small Scarlett 2i4 which works great.
    For some reason, Roland dumped the idea of providing downloads for new drivers. It has a system in place that the Capture automatically goes online and installs it if you unplug the usb cable and start it up. But there is no place on their site for an individual to download a driver for Windows 10. The cd that came in my box is for Windows 8.
    It's a tangled web we live in, and some days I would love to have a multi-track in a box, with full editing on a big screen and options to load vst instruments and plug-ins.

Tascam and Zoom kind of have it, but to do editing you still have to go to the computer.
    Remember the old Roland VS series, like the 2480? I think that had a port to hook up to a monitor screen.

Thanks for the YT link, I checked it out and will experiment with it when I have time.

Windows 10 doesn't offer the option to disable updates. You can pause them to up to 30 days maximum, after that they'll load automatically.
    Windows 10 has taken away options from the consumer and forces them to accept the way they tell you, unlike previous releases where they offered options.
    Windows 10 is a perfect example of an out of control software company which has become arrogant and exhibits the attitude, that's the way you'll do it and we don't care how you feel about it.
    There are some workarounds to disabling the updates, but Microsoft has made certain you almost have to be in IT to figure it out.
    Have you tried any of these? A bit on the arcane side, but doesn't seem too difficult.

https://www.wikihow.com/Turn-Off-Aut...-in-Windows-10
    <sig out of order>

Good to know! At this point it would be a merely academic exercise to try to install the older versions at some point on a system with an actual recording interface connected. X1 seems like a much better idea, although maybe the free version is better anyway?
    Provided you run a 64bit OS, the newest would be preferable. X1 would be a close second. One thing you could do is install just the plugins and instruments from older versions, many of which are third party. They may or may not work, but worth a try. The newest version can't offer third party plugins, and keep it free, for obvious reasons.

Have you tried any of these? A bit on the arcane side, but doesn't seem too difficult.

https://www.wikihow.com/Turn-Off-Aut...-in-Windows-10
    This was my understanding as also mentioned in the article: Understand the limitations of this method. While disabling the automatic update service will temporarily halt any Windows 10 cumulative updates, the service will re-enable itself after a certain amount of time.

Also I have a cable connected, not wi-fi for this pc, and it said the solution only worked with wi-fi.
    It's ok, I'll live with it. Mostly everything else is stable but the Roland and I'm going to try the link you posted. I think part of my occasional Cubase crash is from the Roland acting up.
    Another option I have is to install the updates and if I experience any crashes afterward, to delete the update.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

This was my understanding as also mentioned in the article: Understand the limitations of this method. While disabling the automatic update service will temporarily halt any Windows 10 cumulative updates, the service will re-enable itself after a certain amount of time.

Also I have a cable connected, not wi-fi for this pc, and it said the solution only worked with wi-fi.
    It's ok, I'll live with it. Mostly everything else is stable but the Roland and I'm going to try the link you posted. I think part of my occasional Cubase crash is from the Roland acting up.
    Another option I have is to install the updates and if I experience any crashes afterward, to delete the update.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.
    Wow, yeah, I guess Windows 10 really is a pain in the butt. If you only use this computer for audio stuff you could probably just keep it disconnected from the Internet, but it's probably only a matter of time before you need to connect for some reason and all hell breaks loose.

I do know that driver issues in general (at least ones I experienced with XP) were the most common cause of crashes of applications and/or the operating system, so those seem to be the most likely culprit. Good luck!
    <sig out of order>