Page 55 of 86 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 2135

Thread: Birders

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Roseate Spoonbill, not Rosacea.

We have been seeing more of them in the north in recent years due to some climate change. White Ibis have also been more frequent.

I photographed this ROSP at Edwin B. Forsythe NWR (Brigantine, NJ) a few weeks ago.

Attachment 15392Attachment 15393Attachment 15394
    Yes, Roseate spoonbill (Platalea ajaja)

Why would the quoted reply in post 1348 spell it Roseatte, which is different than this quote and the original?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Yes, Roseate spoonbill (Platalea ajaja)

Why would the quoted reply in post 1348 spell it Roseatte, which is different than this quote and the original?
    I just realized where I got the spelling, people have labeled their photos on Pinterest that and I looked up the name with a Google search. All official articles use the Roseate adjective.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    It's Broad-winged Hawk time! Keep your eyes up in the late morning and mid-to-late afternoon for kettles of circling birds!
    Chad

Banned
    It's Broad-winged Hawk time! Keep your eyes up in the late morning and mid-to-late afternoon for kettles of circling birds!
    I’ve seen them, but is not my photo.

https://images.app.goo.gl/AFGyjAwj6RdaPrHh7

Couldn’t believe my eyes when I went to the front door to pick up my mail - we have a butterfly bush outside and there darting from flower to flower was a humming bird - in 40 years here on the south shore of Long Island I have never seen one. Of course by the time got my phone to take a pic, it was gone.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Couldn’t believe my eyes when I went to the front door to pick up my mail - we have a butterfly bush outside and there darting from flower to flower was a humming bird - in 40 years here on the south shore of Long Island I have never seen one. Of course by the time got my phone to take a pic, it was gone.

I haven't seen one at my feeder for the past 10 days or so, and the nectar level has barely moved. I'm considering not putting it out there any more this year.

Ask Klonk about the best shrubs to plant, that will guarantee humming bird visits.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Ask Klonk about the best shrubs to plant, that will guarantee humming bird visits.
    Happy for any advice - not expecting much success on the south shore of Long Island in a fairly built up suburban environment. I suspect my sighting was of a stray from the Massapequa Reserve (about 15 miles east of me).

If you're going to put out a feeder, I recommend the kind with perches. We have one of those, and a couple without, and although they can feed while hovering, they seem to prefer to stand.

I have a couple of feeders - one usually has just sunflower seeds, the other has a standard wild bird seed mix. I also put out those suet blocks which seem to be the 1st choice for all the birds except cardinals who I know like a flat surface to feed from.

I have a couple of feeders - one usually has just sunflower seeds, the other has a standard wild bird seed mix. I also put out those suet blocks which seem to be the 1st choice for all the birds except cardinals who I know like a flat surface to feed from.
    The preferred feeder by hummingbirds that I have looks a lot like this.

There's an ant moat in the lid that is filled with water.

No need to buy red nectar. 1 part sugar dissolved in 4 parts warm water is just as good.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 10-02-2021 at 01:42 AM.

It could be an Eastern Towhee. Check this... https://ebird.org/species/eastow

Thanks for posting, that wasn't it though. I still haven't heard it since posting to be able to record it!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Hi Jake, I'm on the south shore too, out in Bay Shore. Maybe you've heard the bird I'm referring to a few pages back, although I haven't heard it since I posted that. The song went "toot toot TWEET... tee hee hee hee hee hee"
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Hi GD I’m in Valley Stream maybe that was a mockingbird - we have a few of them here. Actually it could be a house finch.
    Last edited by jake; 10-03-2021 at 12:20 PM.

Or ask Roger the Shrubber. He'll tell you everything you need to know about shrubberies.
    Last edited by progmatist; 10-03-2021 at 03:06 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Im on Long Islands Southshore also , Blue Point. Although I haven't personally seen one my wife has seen hummingbirds several times in the yard over the years. Having breakfast with my avid birder neighbor yesterday he told me we have ibis in the area this year. In recent years the population and variety of hawks and I guess falcons has increased impressivly.
    The mockingbird mentioned is the Northern Mockingbird? We have a slew of them. We used to call them Spy Birds. They have no fear and are very curious. They got the Spy Bird moniker ater an incident involving peeing in what I thought was an out of the way privite spot only to realize I had the company of one of them , very closly studying every move. They need to know everything.

Hi GD I’m in Valley Stream maybe that was a mockingbird - we have a few of them here. Actually it could be a house finch.

Mockingbirds tend to be loud and cycle through a variety of calls. This one was just doing the one call, and it was gentler. The "teehehehehehe" part is a descending tone that sounds like laughing. I checked house finch too, didn't hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post

Mockingbirds tend to be loud and cycle through a variety of calls. This one was just doing the one call, and it was gentler. The "teehehehehehe" part is a descending tone that sounds like laughing. I checked house finch too, didn't hear it.
    I hear that same call occasionally. I don't know what species, though.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    …The mockingbird mentioned is the Northern Mockingbird? We have a slew of them. We used to call them Spy Birds. They have no fear and are very curious.
    Yes we have a few of them - one of them “claimed” the suet block outside our front window and would chase away all others who went near to it.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Hi Jake, I'm on the south shore too, out in Bay Shore. Maybe you've heard the bird I'm referring to a few pages back, although I haven't heard it since I posted that. The song went "toot toot TWEET... tee hee hee hee hee hee"
    How about a White-throated Sparrow? https://ebird.org/species/whtspa
    Chad

I hear that one sparrow pattern from the 2nd Song a lot, deee deee deee, dee de dee dee de dee.

How about a White-throated Sparrow? https://ebird.org/species/whtspa
    Thanks, I recognize this too but it's not the call I'm trying to identify.

Banned
    While making a video near the horse farm on the BWI bike trail:
    https://youtube.com/shorts/ZMLCnsOQoi0?feature=share
    Last edited by Firth; 10-23-2021 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    While making a video near the horse game on the BWI bike trail:
    https://youtube.com/shorts/ZMLCnsOQoi0?feature=share
    European Starlings, I suspect?
    Regards,

Duncan

Banned
    European Starlings, I suspect?
    Sounds correct to me. https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/i...dance-partner/