Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jellyfish- Inside Split Milk! New analysis with RJM!

I still have never heard Jellyfish. I guess I should?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Banned
    ^^^ if you’re into sophisticated pop, great studio arrangements and production polished to an incredible gleaming shine I’d say it’s a must hear. Otherwise don’t bother. My 2 cents.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Heh. As of late, you bet.
    yeah I think there's like three separate threads on the front page already

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I still have never heard Jellyfish. I guess I should?
    They're well worth checking out. They were kind of an anomaly in the early 90s; not a ton of bands were exploring pop music like this while grunge was coming onto the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    They're well worth checking out. They were kind of an anomaly in the early 90s; not a ton of bands were exploring pop music like this while grunge was coming onto the scene.
    not "a ton" but plenty of bands exploring pop, it's just that grunge got popular for a couple of years and that's what radio station programming gravitated towards. The grunge scene had pretty much played out soon after it caught on. Bands like Nirvana, Alice In Chains and Pearl Jam came in towards the end.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    not "a ton" but plenty of bands exploring pop, it's just that grunge got popular for a couple of years and that's what radio station programming gravitated towards. The grunge scene had pretty much played out soon after it caught on. Bands like Nirvana, Alice In Chains and Pearl Jam came in towards the end.
    I know that pop as a genre was still being done at that time. But if there were other bands in the style of Jellyfish during 1990-1994, I've yet to hear them.

However, I don't agree that grunge was already over as soon as it caught on. At least not where I lived.

yeah I think there's like three separate threads on the front page already
    Cool, they deserve all the attention they can get. Notice I put them in OT.

I know that pop as a genre was still being done at that time. But if there were other bands in the style of Jellyfish during 1990-1994, I've yet to hear them. .
    I could list some (I did in the other Jellyfish thread) but then the discussion will quickly race down a useless "what's pop" rabbit hole. As I stated in the other thread, Spilt Milk got a good run up here in the PNW, but the band split in two right after their first album then wasn't around much past the second (Spilt Milk).

I could list some (I did in the other Jellyfish thread) but then the discussion will quickly race down a useless "what's pop" rabbit hole. As I stated in the other thread, Spilt Milk got a good run up here in the PNW, but the band split in two right after their first album then wasn't around much past the second (Spilt Milk).
    Yeah I saw your post, but those bands didn't really sound like Jellyfish to me (just IMO) and their distinctly old school psych/pop songwriting merged with a modern attitude. In my part of the world Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains (and others, like Blues Traveler, Counting Crows, Gin Blossoms...) were all over the radio but Jellyfish was nowhere to be heard. It wasn't until the mid-2000s that I even heard of them, sadly.

Yeah I saw your post, but those bands didn't really sound like Jellyfish to me
    Nope. No. They didn't sound exactly like Jellyfish.

Where's the face palm emoji

I knew about, but didn't really catch on and notice others catch on to Jellyfish til around the early-mid 2000's.

I think their music aged well after the band ended. It sounds like it was made today, not in the early 90's.