Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: JETHRO TULL - This Was (50th Anniversary S. Wilson remix book edition) November 9

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    I am not anonymous either, I met with many PE-ers (Debby, Yehuda, Udi, Ian, Marc, Aymeric, Steve, etc etc) and do not know you apart for PE...
    I'm sure I must've met you at Carmaux, but I've got sometimes difficulties making links between faces, names and usernames

Unfortunately, I regret coming aware of MIO (through a sampler I still have, somewhere) almost too late, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Well, you're anonymous on PE.

BTW, if you're not anonymous, just mention your first name, or maybe if you're in a band, or represent a label, etc.
    Glad you're not taking it personally, but I also understood it as:

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    In chalkpies defense: He was just referring to the the "quantity" of posts you do here.
    It's hard not to notice your "presence" here.

Your "true" first name was mentioned many times here, so it's no wonder it's got stuck.

It is not a personal thing anyway.
    you're definitely one of the hi-profiles on the sites, if only by your presence.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I regret coming aware of MIO (through a sampler I still have, somewhere) almost too late, though.
    Hey, we all got aware of MIO much too late, although I've been able to pick up on most of their releases in hindsight. I still lost out on that album by The Platina, though.

Erez' affiliation with MIO was how I took him for an Israeli in the first place. Although obviously he wouldn't have had to come from there to be mastering parts of their roster.

As for Jed, I read three of his dad's books all over again on learning who he was.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

As for Jed, I read three of his dad's books all over again on learning who he was.
    looks like his dad types as much as Jed does!!! lmao.gif
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I guess so, but I find it disconcerting (and kind of invasive) when someone's using my name here, yet I have no clue as to who they are, and they don't include anything in the Location field of the profile. But maybe it's someone I know, I have no clue. For all I know, this is another account used by the banned DocProgger.
    Wow, wtf. Thanks for blaming me for something I had nothing to do with. Also, I would never use your real name since its not listed in your profile and I don't know it.
    I'll accept your apology any time.

Picked up This Was surprisingly from a local brick and mortar store, so no mail complaints from me. The only set I'm missing is Warchild which I had as a low priority purchase while I got the others, and didn't think it would go oop that quickly. Kind of makes you wonder whether some people are hoarding some of these box sets to resell on the secondary market for silly prices trying to fleece fellow prog fans.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 12-03-2018 at 09:18 AM.

I re-listened to this album recently. I bought it when it came out and loved it back then, but it definitely has not weathered well over the years. This band, for me, really begins with Stand Up. The switch from Abrams to Barre on guitar took them out of the blues gulag into something original.

Quote Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
    blues gulag
    That would make a great band name.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

My Sunday feeling
    Move on alone
    Beggars farm
    Blues for the 18th
    Dharma for one
    Christmas song
    Love story
    It’s breaking me up
    One for John Gee(with lots of extra bass)
    Song for Jeffrey
    Cats squirrel
    Round

A much more Tull sounding version
    Not sure if I should swap cuckoo for Squirrel though

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I re-listened to this album recently. I bought it when it came out and loved it back then, but it definitely has not weathered well over the years. This band, for me, really begins with Stand Up. The switch from Abrams to Barre on guitar took them out of the blues gulag into something original.
    Wow. I don't have as long a history with it. I must have first heard it in 1985 or '86, but it remains one of my favorite Tulls. IMO, This Was... stands up as well as anything from the period. You have a point about the band starting with Stand Up, but I think This Was... has a ton of charm, and is well-played. It's good in its own right.

And Blues Gulag is a good band name. They should be the opening act for the Red Elvises.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I just bought the 40th anni This Was set (for $12) and as a result I've been listening to the album for the first time in many years. It's definitely a period piece and yes they haven't truly found their "sound" yet. But even then they were at the unique end of the "gulag" as you put it. Good album and it has signs of the great things to come.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    It's definitely a period piece and yes they haven't truly found their "sound" yet.
    Thought exercise: can't you imagine "Beggar's Farm" being on Benefit?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I bought This Was when first released; I loved it then and still dig it lo these many decades later, though I agree that Tull became "Tull" with Stand Up. I particularly liked Abrahams' playing, and the Cornick/Bunker tandem was outstanding. It's in my Top 5 Tull.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I'm waiting for "A". Perhaps Wilson will update the 80's production?

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    I'm waiting for "A". Perhaps Wilson will update the 80's production?
    Wilson will not be continuing on with the series post-Stormwatch.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I don't think the production is the best, but for me This Was holds up better than A Passion Play, War Child and Too Old... None of which I've ever warmed to. But that period seems to be a/the favourite of many here, so there we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Absolutely. MB would have phattened up the main riff. But sure. Sunday Feeling as well. Those are the two that I viewed as the "signs of great things to come" I mentioned above. The rest is still enjoyable, even if dated.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Wilson will not be continuing on with the series post-Stormwatch.
    He’ll be doing A and Broadsword at least I think. Stormwatch is close to done now. Might as well finish off with the five 80s albums. He’ll have 11 years to do 5 albums. Plenty of time

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    He’ll be doing A and Broadsword at least I think. Stormwatch is close to done now. Might as well finish off with the five 80s albums. He’ll have 11 years to do 5 albums. Plenty of time
    The whole idea of the re-mixes was to improve on sound limited by the recording technology at the time, surely at some point the law of diminishing returns would apply. If what's been said is true and Steven is signing off at Stormwatch I agree with his choice.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    The whole idea of the re-mixes was to improve on sound limited by the recording technology at the time, surely at some point the law of diminishing returns would apply. If what's been said is true and Steven is signing off at Stormwatch I agree with his choice.
    In my opinion, the sound on the original A is worse than the sound on the original Stormwatch. However, I'm ok with the existing remaster of A. But if they did a deluxe, I'd buy it!

In my opinion, the sound on the original A is worse than the sound on the original Stormwatch. However, I'm ok with the existing remaster of A. But if they did a deluxe, I'd buy it!
    It's hard to think what could be included in a deluxe edition of A that would make it worthwhile. There were no non-LP b-sides from the period, no unreleased songs that I'm aware of, and the existing remaster already comes with a DVD of (more or less) the live show. They could add a complete live show, but since the set list was pretty "uniform" throughout this lineup's brief existence, that might be a bit redundant. Maybe Ian is sitting on some demo tapes of the songs, that would be cool to hear.

^^^ The big kahuna for an "A" box would be the full concert on DVD that they used pieces of for the Slipstream film. I have no idea if that exists, but I never knew Landover existed either until the SFTW set was announced.

What's on Slipstream from the live show is so great only to be interrupted by some of the worst videos I've ever seen. It's forgivable for 1980, I suppose, MTV hadn't come out yet and video directing was in its infancy. But they're still painfully bad.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    ^^^ The big kahuna for an "A" box would be the full concert on DVD that they used pieces of for the Slipstream film. I have no idea if that exists, but I never knew Landover existed either until the SFTW set was announced.
    I have read that all of the live sequences used in Slipstream are indeed from a single night at the L.A. Sports Arena. This was apparently the second of the two nights, as I was there the first night. They were definitely filming that show, but I can guarantee that at least the "Heavy Horses" in Slipstream is not the performance I saw, which was a train wreck: Ian's acoustic guitar failed and the whole thing stopped dead after the big intro.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    He said he’s interested in doing 80s albums. He mentioned Broadsword

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    If so, the vocal would be different. The This Was version has that pseudo-old bluesman voice Ian also used occasionally on Stand Up, but not anymore on Benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    If so, the vocal would be different. The This Was version has that pseudo-old bluesman voice Ian also used occasionally on Stand Up, but not anymore on Benefit.
    Hmm. Just hearing it in my head, it seems to me that the vocal tone is very close to "A Time for Everything."