Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PE wine dork thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Valpolicella is such an under-rated wine in North America. This one sounds lovely, I'm going to make note and look around for it. Good call!

Tonight we're having a La Cattura Tuscan red with lamb. It is 90% teroldego, 10% syrah, unusual for Tuscany, but not for this little region, which I gather is closer to the coast. We've had this before, but never with lamb, so if this is a good pairing we're going to get more.

Bill
    There are many different qualities of Valpolicella. The cheap, mass-produced Valpolicella Classico can be pretty forgettable (or memorable for its awfulness). You really need to step up to Valpolicella Superiore Ripasso before it's enjoyable (for me, at least). Amarone della Valpolicella is wonderful, but is often priced beyond my means. A good daily drinker for me (made from the same Corvina grape as Valpolicella) is Allegrini Palazzo della Torre, usually available for around $18 per bottle.

Let me just say, that Giraud was absolutely exquisite. What an outstanding wine. It was $60, but I'd pay twice that (seriously), and of course you would pay twice that at a restaurant. At times, it almost had a liqueur characteristic in the nose and in the taste. It was 16% alcohol, but it didn't ever come across as boozy. A HUGE recommendation from me on this one. Here it is at their own website:

https://www.domainegiraud.fr/en/vins/tradition-red/
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I don't drink... vine.

I do however revel in phonetic pronunciation of wine types.

Seriously though, I have heard all my life that if I hadn't found a red wine I enjoy its because I hadn't tried an expensive enough wine. I can tolerate some white wines, but the only wine I really care for is a late harvest riesling. I was on an ocean cruise a couple of years ago and I tried a really expensive merlot. Also an expensive pinot noir. Nope. Nada.

Is there no hope for me?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I don't drink... vine.

I do however revel in phonetic pronunciation of wine types.

Seriously though, I have heard all my life that if I hadn't found a red wine I enjoy its because I hadn't tried an expensive enough wine. I can tolerate some white wines, but the only wine I really care for is a late harvest riesling. I was on an ocean cruise a couple of years ago and I tried a really expensive merlot. Also an expensive pinot noir. Nope. Nada.

Is there no hope for me?
    Yes, but you must try to define what it is you like and not.
    There are so many types, oak barreled, non-barelled, juicy-marmeladed, light, heavy etc.
    I have a neighbour that have decided (with his wife) that the dont like red wine because its to acidic...
    I bought him this chilean: Concha y Toro Diablo Dark Red 666 and they love it. Its dense, slightly marmeladed but not sweet. Not expensive.
    https://www.vivino.com/diablo-maule-...-red/w/6123450
    https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/c...e+valley+chile

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    marmeladed
    what's that

Finally tried a Priorat while in Barcelona. I normally find Carignan
    rather meh but this was Carignan on steroids. Wow! I see where the rep comes from.

Also, Zinfandels. Red. Californian. Seems there is not a bad one being made.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    Zinfandels. Red. Californian. Seems there is not a bad one being made.
    There are, though. I love a good Zin, but avoid a lot of the sugary, jammy, unbalanced ones with little to no acidity. Those are adequate with a BBQ steak, but on their own? Way over the top, IMO.

Lately I've been exploring different Mourvèdres, and every one of them has been at least very good. Lovely, dark shades, quite tannic at times but really nice. I was given a bottle of Estrecho Monastrell 2015, and told to age it for another while. I opened it that night.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Monastrells (Mourvèdres) from Jumilla in Spain can be great value if you like the occasional Bigass tannin bomb.

Some advice for those on the edges of wine dorkdom— try all the main grape varieties once plus a few standard blends. Choose your favorite three and then try versions of these from different locations, particularly old world vs new world. Once you’ve established a hierarchy of likes you’re well on your way. Soon you’ll be discussing unpronuncable qvevry varietals from Georgia.

what's that
    Its probably called 'jammed' by many.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Its probably called 'jammed' by many.
    ???

Monastrells (Mourvèdres) from Jumilla in Spain can be great value if you like the occasional Bigass tannin bomb.
    We've had great luck with Spanish Monastrells, and are well stocked with Tarima right now which is a go-to wine for just about any meat dish or even pizza. Funny, I didn't know that Monastrell was the French Mourvèdre. I've never had a French wine that featured Mourvèdre as a nearly single or dominant component. I may keep my eye out for one and try it, if they even make their way over here.

Bill

Mourvèdre is rarely found alone. Usually it shows its face as the M in those meaty MSG Rhones.
    Last edited by Teddy Vengeance; 11-15-2019 at 07:16 PM.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate
    I have a neighbour that have decided (with his wife) that the dont like red wine because its to acidic...
    It is nearly impossible to find an acidic American red wine, or a dry one for that matter, these days. It's possible we still make it, but I never seem to locate it among the sweet, fruity wines that seem omnipresent now. Between the dumbing down of the American wine-drinking public, and lost vineyard acreage to climate change, I don't foresee wines for the descerning palate making a comeback here. But I could be wrong, or I could be undescerning, myself. Admittedly, it has been long since I visited a winery for a tasting. I know when stores market a red wine as "smoky," as if that's a good thing, rather than the inevitable by-product of California wildfires, I wonder where quality went, and WTF advertisers are thinking.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Mourvèdre is rarely found alone. Usually it shows it’s face as the M in those meaty MSG Rhones.
    Exactly, that's what I was thinking. I've surely never seen one, but I've never been to the Rhone either.

Bill

Just bought a bottle of Viña Caballero Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve. Whatever. I'll probably use most of for a bitchin' stew I wanna make next week.....

I have the feeling that Spanish are getting better (and cheaper)
    I just bought 10 Torres Gran Coronas Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon from the Penedes region (approx 11 $ a piece) , and they have just as much character as some Priorat wines I bought some time ago. The two regions are close (just south of Barcelona).

Some reading about the area https://www.onceinalifetimejourney.c...ear-barcelona/

Spain and Portugal are tremendous value right now. Both countries have upped their game considerably in the past 20 years. I’m a big fan of the Touriga Nacional variety from the latter. And Albariño, from Galicia in Spain, is my go-to white.

I started a PE Wine Cork Thread yesterday and people thought I was messing around.

I quickly reconsidered....

I tried a red wine recently that called itself "jammy"... I like it!

Fooey to acidity. Or is it phewy?

Fooey to acidity. Or is it phewy?
    I love me some acidy Rieslings. Perfect answer to residual sugar.

I've had 2 or 3 cups of Cabernet and dumped the remainder in a pot of red meat stew (beef shanks, lamb bones), onions, gawlick, greens......

Out o' this world.

If I dont like a red wine, I put it aside and use it for sauce.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Endlessly coordinated, I managed to cut my finger on the lead foil covering the top of a wine bottle.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Went to a wine tasting featuring Greek wines. I was a bit skeptical. I envisioned cloyingly sweet monstrosities, or wines with weird flavors. Maybe they have those, but we didn't taste any. If you like red wines with depth and character, try Ktima Pavlidis, "Thema Red", 2015. Fans of Rioja Riserva, Petite Syrah, Chateauneuf du Pape, etc. will like it. Price is about $20/bottle.