Thread: New La Maschera Di Cera ~ great stuff

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar

New La Maschera Di Cera ~ great stuff

Had a listen to the newest by La Maschera Di Cera from Progstreaming and it's excellent. The opening 1:15 from the first track ranks with some of the best openings. Blistering hammond runs interspersed with punctuated staccato notes. Great start to a superb record.

Also currently on Progstreaming is the newest LogoS. Like La Maschera, it's in the RPI camp and also very very good.

And, not to be content at just those two, the latest by Gazpacho, Fireworker is available on PS and, if you're a fan of this band, you'll dig this new one. On first listen, to my ears, it's a slight departure from their typical sound, yet undeniably Gazpacho.

Prog is alive and very well !

BTW, here's a link to Progstreaming (and no, I don't own shares )

http://progstreaming.nl/

^^
    As Sunhillow wasn't here for many years that shouldn't be Problem. Also I don't think that Markwin makes any Money
    with it..

THe new MdC is awesome by the way (I didn't expect any less)

Great... great stuff indeed!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Why not include the bandcamp link as well so they can actually make some money?

https://lamascheradicera.bandcamp.com/

Just listened to it - very enjoyable.

The new Gazpacho was also quite good.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Why not include the bandcamp link as well so they can actually make some money?

https://lamascheradicera.bandcamp.com/
    Great idea! Thanks. My OP was simply to start a conversation on the band's excellent record, and give mention to the two other albums that caught my ears. For the bands' sake, hopefully a few cd/download sales will result.

I just bought and downloaded it. I have all of their other work. So far, it sounds really, really nice!

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    ^^
    As Sunhillow wasn't here for many years that shouldn't be Problem. Also I don't think that Markwin makes any Money
    with it..

THe new MdC is awesome by the way (I didn't expect any less)
    I frequent his site often and have made a number of purchases after listening to albums. I also enjoy reading his enthusiastic facebook posts promoting a new stream. They're often amusing. The new MdC is definitely being added to my want list.

The album is just excellent, and an essential BUY for lovers of traditional, symphonic prog. This is most easily shown in the second side of it: Il Cerchio del Commando is a beautiful song, evoking the best moments of early PFM and Le Orme, while 13mins Vacuo Senso I would describe as a high point of symphonic prog altogether. The depth of ideas, the flow of them in the context of the long epic is simply astounding. It reminded me of the epics of Anglagard's Hybris, and it is a completely unpretentious tribute to progressive music as such. At 6min mark, the band plays Coltrane's version of My Favorite things, then takes some rhythmic section of Kansas Journey to Mariabronne, then some Ole Coltrane variation in the fuzz-hammond, then bursts into a Van Der Graaf Generator reminiscent sax-bass-hammond onslaught, and culminates in the most beautiful mellotron melody you ever heard in your life. Simply jaw-dropping stuff.

The side A long epic has also some pretty convincing moments, but I can't say that I have grasped it in its entirety in 4-5 listens. There is definitely some inner logic in its structure, with themes returning here and there in changed forms. There are also a lot of vocals. Alessandro Corveglia's voice has been quite difficult for me to digest - and it's not the harshness that bothers me as more of the extra-sentimental performance, the breathing among sung syllables, the heavy pronunciation of some letters. But this is purely intentional from the part of the band, and I respect and go along with their choice as well as I can.

A great record, that fully met my high expectations. And isn't it something that in year 2020 there are still people that write and play this kind of music with so much force and love?

I got it from bandcamp and enjoying it too.

Not radically different from what they've done before but simply quality tasteful retro prog. Not more but certainly nothing less.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    And isn't it something that in year 2020 there are still people that write and play this kind of music with so much force and love?
    Indeed! I had one listen on Bandcamp and immediately ordered from Wayside. I think it arrives tomorrow.

I've been finding classic Italian prog and music that follows in its footsteps goes great with this Indian Summer we're having here in the Northeast right now.