Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craig Blundell announced as new Steve Hackett band drummer for 2019 tour...

Craig Blundell announced as new Steve Hackett band drummer for 2019 tour...

Fantastic news today that Craig Blundell (currently touring with Steven Wilson) has been announced as the drummer for Steve Hackett's 2019 "Selling England / Spectral Mornings" tour.

So pleased for Craig!! He seems such a genuinely nice bloke (and a self-confessed Phil Collins / Genesis / Brand X fan).

He'll probably be very frustrated as he tries to avoid playing a million notes per second night after night.
    <sig out of order>

I love Craig Blundell, he's awesome. His work with Frost was my first exposure to his drumming. He knows when to play and when not to play. I don't think he's a "busy" drummer but tastefully adds fills and other stuff to sweeten the pot.
    Congratulations Craig.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I'm sure CB will do a fantastic job.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    He'll probably be very frustrated as he tries to avoid playing a million notes per second night after night.
    Does Yngwie need a drummer?

As great as he is I think there is no one better for this seat than Nick D'Virgilio. He just "gets" the Phil Collins groove better than anyone (the next closest to getting it would be Phil's son Simon Collins IMO). But, with Marco Minnemann playing on the cruises and Craig playing after that for who knows how long... it's still great! No knock to Gary who is a very nice guy and I wish him well with everything but injecting some new drums into this is exciting I have to admit. Really curious to hear it all and, as always, wish Steve and the band loads of success! They deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Does Yngwie need a drummer?
    Please....let's not waste Blundell in that role!
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    As great as he is I think there is no one better for this seat than Nick D'Virgilio. He just "gets" the Phil Collins groove better than anyone (the next closest to getting it would be Phil's son Simon Collins IMO). But, with Marco Minnemann playing on the cruises and Craig playing after that for who knows how long... it's still great! No knock to Gary who is a very nice guy and I wish him well with everything but injecting some new drums into this is exciting I have to admit. Really curious to hear it all and, as always, wish Steve and the band loads of success! They deserve it.
    I completely agree concerning NDV! He's the only one I know of that can do that groove well.
    <sig out of order>

NDV is the best around - what's happening with Gary though?

Quote Originally Posted by everyday View Post
    NDV is the best around - what's happening with Gary though?
    Not sure and probably none of our business apart from what he said publicly on his FB page which I believe someone posted elsewhere on PE. In a nutshell that he's parting ways with the band, focusing on teaching and will miss them because he was with them for I think 6 years. He's a nice guy and I wish him well. One has to be grateful to even have that experience for any length of time IMO. If you're an SH and Genesis fan it's a dream gig! What wonderful music to be able to play in front of a very enthusiastic crowd every night around the world!

Anyway, I personally think it's good to mix it up on the line up now and then for a solo band. It's exciting to work with a new drummer, especially if that drummer is Marco, Craig or NDV!

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I completely agree concerning NDV! He's the only one I know of that can do that groove well.
    Agreed! I've said it before and I'll say it again, Tony and Mike should have had NDV full-time on Calling All Stations, drums and vocals.
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoise View Post
    Agreed! I've said it before and I'll say it again, Tony and Mike should have had NDV full-time on Calling All Stations, drums and vocals.
    Don't know if you know this but when NDV auditioned for Genesis he didn't tell them he sang (and he didn't yet do lead vocals for SB at that time). But, years later when he did and he also did his own tribute to The Lamb, Tony Banks heard it and he said to Nick Davis, Genesis' co-producer, had they known he could drum and sing like that he probably would have gotten the full Phil Collins replacement gig. I told NDV that and Nick being such a cool chill guy said to me that he was still happy to have the experience he had anyway (which is such an honor and thrill). But, then Nick Davis and Tony Banks went to see NDV play with Cirque and told him themselves something along those lines! Now if someone came to me saying that I'd make a sale right then and there. "Well let's do it then!!!!!" However, unless you're in that situation it's hard to tell what to do in all reality. In any case, I agree with you agreeing with me that he would be a great fit for anything Genesis-related haha!

But, that's all (no pun intended) as there's certainly nothing against Craig (even though I don't know him but he's well respected and has done a lot of cool things) and this post was supposed to be about him. And of course I love Marco so that's exciting too and I think all three are excellent drummers. I just think it doesn't get any better than NDV for those particular songs and that band. Look up "Giraffe The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" on YouTube and you'll see NDV and I playing Genesis with Kevin Gilbert in 1994. That speaks for itself with regard to his feel, groove and dynamics on the drums IMO. Just putting it out there.

Not sure and probably none of our business apart from what he said publicly on his FB page which I believe someone posted elsewhere on PE. In a nutshell that he's parting ways with the band, focusing on teaching and will miss them because he was with them for I think 6 years. He's a nice guy and I wish him well. One has to be grateful to even have that experience for any length of time IMO. If you're an SH and Genesis fan it's a dream gig! What wonderful music to be able to play in front of a very enthusiastic crowd every night around the world!

Anyway, I personally think it's good to mix it up on the line up now and then for a solo band. It's exciting to work with a new drummer, especially if that drummer is Marco, Craig or NDV!
    Gary has actually been with Steve since 2000. I remember looking him up before and seeing that among his drumming pupils was Will Champion of Coldplay.

Quote Originally Posted by everyday View Post
    Gary has actually been with Steve since 2000. I remember looking him up before and seeing that among his drumming pupils was Will Champion of Coldplay.
    Oh has he? I didn't know that. Hmmm. I thought I saw in his post him saying he was touring with the band for 6 years. Well, in any case, it's a great gig and he was certainly fortunate to have it for any length of time.

I just looked it up and Gary played on "To Watch The Storms" which came out in 2003. Can't say I'm real familiar with SH's discography.
    Last edited by Plasmatopia; 11-14-2018 at 02:58 PM.
    <sig out of order>

Congrats to Craig! Well deserved. I only knew of him from the Wilson gig and he has worked his a$$ off these last few years. Very much looking forward to seeing him live in Buffalo in 2 weeks.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

The bass players have changed, but Hackett has had O'Toole, Rob Townshend and Roger King in his band for a long, long time..way back in the early 2000s (see the Once Upon A Time DVD). And Roger King was even on Darktown, I think.

Gary O'Toole will be missed- a very good drummer indeed, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The bass players have changed, but Hackett has had O'Toole, Rob Townshend and Roger King in his band for a long, long time..way back in the early 2000s (see the Once Upon A Time DVD). And Roger King was even on Darktown, I think.
    Yeah, steadiest lineup he's ever had I believe. Although I still think the '79 band was the best.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Congrats Craig.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Don't know if you know this but when NDV auditioned for Genesis he didn't tell them he sang (and he didn't yet do lead vocals for SB at that time). But, years later when he did and he also did his own tribute to The Lamb, Tony Banks heard it and he said to Nick Davis, Genesis' co-producer, had they known he could drum and sing like that he probably would have gotten the full Phil Collins replacement gig. I told NDV that and Nick being such a cool chill guy said to me that he was still happy to have the experience he had anyway (which is such an honor and thrill).
    When Nick was lead vocalist for Spock's Beard, did he come out in front of the drumkit? I don't know what he was like as a frontman, as I've only seen SB with Neal and with Ted Leonard as lead vocalist.

Completely agree about NDV, however the Collins groove is alive and well with Martin Levac, he is Phil reincarnated...

Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Completely agree about NDV, however the Collins groove is alive and well with Martin Levac, he is Phil reincarnated...
    He's not dead yet!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    He's not dead yet!
    No, but his drumming days are over!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

No, but his drumming days are over!
    Yet he's been touring! Whatever, I'm glad there's a replacement standing by!

I agree. To me, NDV, Martin Levac and Simon Collins would be top choices. Again, that's because of the Genesis music Hackett plays. It would ideally have a certain Phil Collins feel to it. There are a lot of great drummers that would be fantastic. Very few have that PC feel and dynamic. Just my opinion but I know some of you agree. That said, this thread, at least in title, is about Craig getting the gig. So, not take anything away from him. I'm sure he's thrilled and good for him! Maybe he'll show that he's just as Collinsy as these other guys OR perhaps show that it doesn't need to be so Collinsy. Depends on what Steve wants too as it's his band. We can only have our opinions as people in the audience. I know what and who I'd like to see behind the kit. If it can't be Phil himself (sadly his drumming days are over) then someone who can deliver a similar sound and vibe would be ideal to me. But, with Marco and Craig being two of the top in-demand Prog drummers right now he certainly can't go wrong with that!