Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

I just opened up iTunes to add some files to the phone. As it often does, the worst piece of software ever has forgotten which drive the music is on and lost it all (plus the artwork). I'd like to find the programmers who work on this piece of shit and tase them. My other Windows players (WMP, JRiver) never do this.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

iTunes is Apple ? I will not use an Apple product on principle alone. First my natural contrary nature , so many people lovre them , by default I must hate them. Second , all their stuff is totally overpriced. And Apple products don't play well with others. Screw Jobs and his little white boxes.

There are so many ways to have portable music that do not require a 'management app'.
    My wife had an ipod years ago and gave up because of the itunes stuff.
    I have been happy with a generic player like vlc on the pc and a suitable standalone app on my phone ( I use Poweramp ) that will play from a folder of albums.

And then there is this about Apple and your privacy with all things itunes related:
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/0..._class_action/
    Last edited by markwoll; 05-30-2019 at 12:18 PM.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

iTunes was considerably better when Steve Jobs was still alive. Not long after his death, it became clunkier, more cryptic, and less elegant.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    iTunes was considerably better when Steve Jobs was still alive. Not long after his death, it became clunkier, more cryptic, and less elegant.
    That pretty much sums up the entire line - why the hell do I need a dongle to plug my headphones into my phone!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^ Ever hear of Bluetooth?

I hate those damn ear-plugs and in my experience, bluetooth shaves off a little audio quality.

My wife asked me to load some new albums up for the phone. I keep my iTunes library on an external drive because the one on the main PC is all lossless. At some point yesterday, iTunes moved its music library compass from my external drive to the main PC, throwing in MP3s into the stew with abandon. What a fucking mess!
    Last edited by Jerjo; 05-31-2019 at 10:06 AM.

^ What ear-plugs do you mean?

I've been using the Soundcore Liberty Lite wireless earbuds (by Anker) for the last several months, and have been very happy with them. No wires to get tangled up, and they sound really good to me.

I think my computer died.

It's rather old, so I'm going to just buy a new one, but I'm hoping that it's just the power source and not the hard drive.

I'm not happy.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I think my computer died.

It's rather old, so I'm going to just buy a new one, but I'm hoping that it's just the power source and not the hard drive.

I'm not happy.
    Do you have a backup, Scott?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

After dissing Apple I realized that when I switched to my first smart phone this January , Verizon gave me 6 monthes of Apple Music. I like it and intend to keep it. Is Apple Mussic app considered Itununes?

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    After dissing Apple I realized that when I switched to my first smart phone this January , Verizon gave me 6 monthes of Apple Music. I like it and intend to keep it. Is Apple Mussic app considered Itununes?
    Not sure about Apple Music being anything other than a streaming service.
    According to rumors the iTunes app will be replaced by something 'new' soon.
    goodbye-itunes
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Apple Music is a facet of iTunes currently, similar to how their Music Store is part of iTunes. But it sounds like they will be releasing a standalone Apple Music app now that iTunes is being retired.

I have Apple Music and absolutely love it.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Apple Music is a facet of iTunes currently, similar to how their Music Store is part of iTunes. But it sounds like they will be releasing a standalone Apple Music app now that iTunes is being retired.

I have Apple Music and absolutely love it.
    Can you highlight the differences between Apple Music and Spotify? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Independent and lesser known musicians are serviced badly by any streaming service. They promise their customers that you can listen to "everything unlimited, for 10 bucks a month" So how does that do anything for the musicians who created the music? How many people have to stream Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (just picked that off the top of my head, but it could be anyone) as a subscription, before the band actually sees even a penny?

Sorry, thread hijacker here...

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Can you highlight the differences between Apple Music and Spotify? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The biggest difference I'm aware of are that Apple Music allows you to upload your own music files to your online library (in the "cloud"), so they are accessible on any devices that use Apple Music. Spotify used to do the same thing several years back, but they stopped and to my knowledge they never reinstated that feature.

The available catalogs are also different; for example, Cardiacs' music is available on Apple Music (and iTunes) but it's not on Spotify.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    ^ Ever hear of Bluetooth?
    If the battery in my Bluetooth headphones dies, I'm up s*** creek for the rest of the train/bus ride home. Passive headphones for me, thank you very much.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    If the battery in my Bluetooth headphones dies, I'm up s*** creek for the rest of the train/bus ride home. Passive headphones for me, thank you very much.
    *shrug* Suit yourself. It's not hard to keep a battery charged.

I opened iTunes this morning and found that it shifted its location for ripped files to the wrong drive. Thankfully it had not wiped out everything I had restored this weekend, which was time-consuming. It just occurred to me that I should update my iPad as well so I opened iTunes. Guess what - it not only shifted back to the wrong drive but also wiped the entire directory. What kind of asshole wrote the code for this piece of shit? What a joke.

^ Gotta say, I've been using iTunes since 2004 and I've never seen behavior like that. What kind of drives do you have, and how old are they? Is it always the same drive every time?

There should be a library file that basically tells iTunes where all of your music is located (and references things like artwork thumbnails, etc.), residing in one of the music/iTunes related folders. You can manually import the library file if for some reason that information gets lost or gets messed up accidentally.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by 'wiping the whole directory'? Was this on the drive that it switched back to again, or the other drive that had the music stored on it?

It's all new. New PC with a SSD and a 2tb drive, coupled with a 4tb drive. The later is where the iTunes library is pointed. And it always points itself back to the 2tb internal drive, losing track of the external drive and acting like it never saw the other. I've given up. I'm never opening the piece of shit again.

That sounds like either the config file is corrupted, or that the changes are not getting written to the config file for some reason, so it always defaults back to the original drive when iTunes is started up. Did it actually erase all of your music from the 4TB drive?

I would try blowing away the config and reinstalling (assuming you haven't already), before calling it quits.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I cleaned off 18gb off my laptop doing this but you have to be sure the version of Windows you have is quite stable.

https://www.safewiper.com/
    I have seen this, but it doesn't work well for my computer,i didn't get 10GB free on my computer either.
    Last edited by PatriciaCarl; 12-18-2019 at 05:31 AM.

So the latest Windows update went through my main PC and goddammit, now WMP is skipping on FLAC files. Can any on these tech giants run an update without shooting themselves in the foot. WMP was working flawlessly before.

My b&w Brother laserprinter doesn't work anymore after a W10 update.
    It's not the driver...