View Poll Results: Since the start of 2020, which format are you currently using most to listen to music

Voters
196. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vinyl

21 10.71%
  • CD

94 47.96%
  • Digital Files (MP3, FLAC, WAV, etc.)

64 32.65%
  • Streaming

17 8.67%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Which format are you using most?

FUBAR was a military acronym!

Fucked
    Up
    Beyond
    All
    Repair

What happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    FUBAR was a military acronym!

Fucked
    Up
    Beyond
    All
    Repair

What happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I was in High School, FUBAR was "Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition."

We were professional partiers.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    When I was in High School, FUBAR was "Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition."

We were professional partiers.
    We used the old Wishbone Ash term FUBB (Fucked Up Beyond Belief)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Now playing Pat Metheny's American Garage on vinyl - sounds amazing!

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

This poll, while a nice indicator, doesn't cover the full spectrum of listening options of course, I get that, I enjoy the radio quite a bit, and have two hifi systems with DAC features, If ranking of preference and frequency?
    Radio(tuner)
    High res music files.
    CD
    Streaming,mostly for live video
    LP(vinyl)
    Tape

Funny how this thread has digressed, as a 60+ I spent hours of my youth finger flipping at various record stores, spent my first saved 1000.00 on a brand new set of speakers, than an amp and turntable, also spent certain $$'s on record cleaning, and album protection. I love music, absolutely, yet as time went on, the whole vinyl challenge was not worth the effort, 20 minutes a side, unless you had a BSR that held numerous lps, but only played a side of each record, those were considered vinyl blasphemy back then.

Since the advent of the CD or Digital domain if you will, I look back with no desire whatsoever, to start back at the vinyl format, I still have a ton of records, some that are obscure and hard to replace, but save for a few of those, I much prefer dealing with the new technology in hifi, setting up continuous playlists, and letting it play all day, every day, and being the PC is part of my system, I can research, and read all the cool sites like this one, all while jamming to music.

Sound quality is still king for me and I'm rediscovering that my old (and new) vinyl collection sounds a lot better than I think it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Sound quality is still king for me and I'm rediscovering that my old (and new) vinyl collection sounds a lot better than I think it did.
    so true
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

The same here!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Not to mention the large vinyl record jackets are much easier for my 55 year old eyes to read than a CD booklet.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Not to mention the large vinyl record jackets are much easier for my 55 year old eyes to read than a CD booklet.
    2nd that

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Agree with respect to 55 year old near vision...and the records sleeves are so much nicer to hold than the cd booklets

Well... that could be because with the years there is something called "hearing loss".

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    Well... that could be because with the years there is something called "hearing loss".
    Snort
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Every time I put on a vinyl, it sounds like I'm pouring milk into a huge bowl of Rice Krispies: Snap, carckle & pop

Surely short-sightedness about music format, I guess

Quote Originally Posted by erosblue View Post
    Agree with respect to 55 year old near vision...and the records sleeves are so much nicer to hold than the cd booklets
    Didn't women tall you that size doesn't matter, it's how you use it??

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    too much wanking your size makes you deaf (female wisdom from different women)

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Snort
    Yup, I will agree with that vinyl sleeve are much more handy to snort snow
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Every time I put on a vinyl, it sounds like I'm pouring milk into a huge bowl of Rice Krispies: Snap, carckle & pop
    In my experience, that varies widely depending on the type of turntable used. A P-Mount cartridge TT will be plagued with static crackle. A 1/2" Mount TT will be virtually noise free for the same, otherwise clean record. That's because 1/2" Mount TTs shunt static to ground, or in layman's terms, they have build in lightning rods.

I posted earlier that I do a lot of streaming on YouTube, and someone asked me if I was purchasing all those albums I've streamed. Not sure if my answer was clear. I'm surprised at the amount of free (to stream) albums there are on YouTube. I've heard whole discographies numerous times. No, I'm not seeking out the physical product. I prefer physical CDs but I also don't like purchasing physical product on the web. Also, I just don't feel like accumulating more CDs on top of the thousand I already have in my collection. I'm not downloading music I'm streaming what's available on the world's biggest jukebox. I'm sure I'll buy more CDs at some point.
    E-A-T

To me streaming from youtube is just a way to sample things I want to buy. The artists deserve that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    To me streaming from youtube is just a way to sample things I want to buy. The artists deserve that.
    Agreed, I've uninstalled Spotify as its such a pain to use and object to it on the principal that its legalised theft.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Agreed, I've uninstalled Spotify as its such a pain to use and object to it on the principal that its legalised theft.
    Agree & agree. youtube and spotify are shameful in my opinion
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^^ I never cared for streaming services. I listen to albums, not playlists.....certainly not someone else's playlist.

^^ I never cared for streaming services. I listen to albums, not playlists.....certainly not someone else's playlist.
    ^^^^
    this

I enjoy making my own mixes of individual artists, but it's always just one artist per disc and usually whole albums unless there's a naff tune I really can't stand. I also change the order of the songs on many albums to make it flow more the way I prefer.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Hello ladies and gents,

I'm new to the forum.. and I don't know why I didn't register earlier. (btw is here a specific thread to introduce myself?)

I voted for "Vinyl" because it's just what I listen to most. When I was 14 (in 1999) I got my dad's old 80's Hifi tower (AKAI) with radio tuner, cassette deck and record player. To this point I only had a small boombox for my few CDs and a portable minidisc player.

Now with the record player I started to exclusively buy vinyl records from my money and I started listening to the old records from my parents (mostly trash, but found some Jethro Tull too). In this year I also got infected by Progressive Rock & Co when I found the album "Stupid Dream" from Porcupine Tree (hence my nickname, coming from the first song I heard from PT: Stranger by the minute). I quickly discovered The Flower Kings, Opeth, Transatlantic etc.

It was always just a practical thing for me to listen to vinyl because I didn't have money for a decent CD-Deck, so I sticked to what I had. Later on I got a Sony CD-Deck from my brother and I started buying CDs again too, but the CD-Deck quit it's job and went to hifi heaven a year later.

I never got a CD-Deck again to this day. The AKAI Hifi-Tower bit the dust in 2008 and then I stopped buying music on vinyl.
    I didn't get a new record player and amp until 2014. Then I started buying again.. and I still got no CD-Deck (but yet around 100 CDs).

For discovering new stuff and test listening I use Youtube and Google Play Music. I still buy CDs now and then when I find something great and it's not issued on vinyl.

Ok, that's why I voted for vinyl... nothing religious just the circumstances (ok I have to admit that I just love being more involved into getting the music started. like searching for the record, slipping it out of the sleeve, putting it on the turntable and placing the needle/stylus (whatever you wanna call it) in the groove... oh yes.. and I love the sound)

^ Welcome aboard, sbtm!

Who's your favorite band and/or musician by the way? And do you have a favorite record?

thank you.

that's a very tough question.

I don't think that I have one favourite band and one favourite record.

I guess you could say my most listened to bands are Porcupine Tree and Flower Kings. But I also listen to a lot of Rush, Camel, Caravan, Magma, Opeth, Marillion, Yes, King Crimson, Henry Cow... it really depends. There are months where I mostly listen to Yes for example. Then I have my Zeuhl phase, or Canterbury phase etc. there are times that I don't listen to a single Porcupine Tree song or Flower Kings song for months. There are even times when I only listen to 80's and 90's german and british punkrock bands

So long story short: according to the numbers of listens Porcupine Tree , Flower Kings and Rush are my favourite bands... but as I said, with so many bands out there to listen to I can easily loose track of my favs for quite a while.

Favourite artists (non-band) are Kate Bush, Bat For Lashes and Lana Del Rey

edit:
    ok I could add some albums that you could call my favs:

Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love, Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun, Flower Kings - Unfold the Future, Rush - Counterparts, Razzia - Ausflug mit Franziska, Yes - Close to the Edge (and Relayer), Bondage Fruit - Bondage Fruit, Dün - Eros and I guess since some days "Dai Kaht - Dai Kaht I + II"
    Last edited by sbtm; 04-16-2020 at 06:55 PM.