Page 108 of 129 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118 ... LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 3205

Thread: The Audiophile Thread

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    A 240p Youtube video uses 64 kbps mp3 compression for audio, so definitely not youtube, at least not that one.
    https://i.stack.imgur.com/WDx6E.png

^^ Most Youtube videos are compressed in Mpeg-4, the audio layer of which is AAC+. 64Kbps AAC+ sounds considerably better than 64Kbps MP3.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Banned

I love reading a phone screenshot of text on a 43" monitor.

So is that Iowaudio person saying that folks aren't really getting hi-res when they stream via Tidal or Quboz, even if its MQA quality and they have a DAC/streamer that can read that stuff? I am still so confused about the sound quality of streaming, etc? Are standard cd players still higher quality than streaming MQA on a decent DAC?

I only stream shittify in my car and home on headphones via my phone when it's not appropriate to crank either cd or vinyl on the hifi rig, especially late at night.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    So is that Iowaudio person saying that folks aren't really getting hi-res when they stream via Tidal or Quboz, even if its MQA quality and they have a DAC/streamer that can read that stuff? I am still so confused about the sound quality of streaming, etc? Are standard cd players still higher quality than streaming MQA on a decent DAC?

I only stream shittify in my car and home on headphones via my phone when it's not appropriate to crank either cd or vinyl on the hifi rig, especially late at night.
    Not exactly, that was a YouTube comment. I posted it here to show that Yputube isn’t necessarily as $hitty as was posted in this thread.

I have read the MQA is not as high quality as Apple Lossless, which BTW can be streamed from Apple Music up to 24/96 now. I’m trying a membership in Apple Music. I listened in a shuffle mode the music of Spock’s Beard today. Sampled albums I hadn’t heard yet and it was nice. I like the way Apple Music integrated with my library of Apple lossless which was accessed by lossless CD copies. Apple Music isn’t supporting multichannel yet.

I bet! Those suckers cost as much my Mazda . That's pretty amazing. What does the rest of your system consist of?
    The prices of those speakers have really gone up. I think they retailed for 14K at the time. I guess they're going for $20k now. "High end" audio or whatever it is, has gotten crazy expensive. The rest of my system is McIntosh separates: a C2300 tube preamp and a C452 power amp. I use a VPI Scoutmaster turntable and an old Musical Fidelity CD player. I'm actually hoping to upgrade my digital section soon. Not sure if I want a high end CD player or if I just want a DAC and a cheap transport. I'm open to suggestions! :-)

One friend of mine manufactures ribbon speakers. They are quite good. Originally his first iteration cost $2500. Almost no sales even after sounding great at a NY Audio show. Then he improved the look and charged $7000. Much more sales - enough to keep going and make it a business. Now he is paired with a retailer with connections and now they are $23,000+ and selling enough that it is now his full time job. A successful business. Now don't think these new speakers are the same as his original $2500 speaker. They are not. Maybe 7 years of research and improvements and design and marketing.

It almost seems that you have to price things higher to get any sale at all. Crazy backwards, but then again, hi end audio isn't popular at all these days. Earbuds are. It's a niche business and you have to sell to the rich who consider it a status symbol, not just a hobby.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    One friend of mine manufactures ribbon speakers. They are quite good. Originally his first iteration cost $2500. Almost no sales even after sounding great at a NY Audio show. Then he improved the look and charged $7000. Much more sales - enough to keep going and make it a business. Now he is paired with a retailer with connections and now they are $23,000+ and selling enough that it is now his full time job. A successful business. Now don't think these new speakers are the same as his original $2500 speaker. They are not. Maybe 7 years of research and improvements and design and marketing.

It almost seems that you have to price things higher to get any sale at all. Crazy backwards, but then again, hi end audio isn't popular at all these days. Earbuds are. It's a niche business and you have to sell to the rich who consider it a status symbol, not just a hobby.
    Similar story. My friend, the late Lloyd Walker of Walker Audio marketed his turntable for $40,000 and had difficulty selling them. He made some modifications over the years and the price kept climbing. Finally the table retailed for $100,000. As the price increased sales increased.

The eons are closing
    That's nutty.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Similar story. My friend, the late Lloyd Walker of Walker Audio marketed his turntable for $40,000 and had difficulty selling them. He made some modifications over the years and the price kept climbing. Finally the table retailed for $100,000. As the price increased sales increased.
    I remember when you could get his TT for about $12K, but that was when his competition was about $5K. He was always way expensive. Then it was $25, then, $40K.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Was it called Walker Precision Turntable? Something like that? I remember it got a rave review in TAS about 15 years ago, maybe more. I think it retailed for around 25K then. I think the review said that included with the price was the fact that the designer would fly into your town and set it up for you. I thought that was pretty cool. I can't even get my dealer to make adjustments or minor repairs for me without an additional charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Was it called Walker Precision Turntable? Something like that? I remember it got a rave review in TAS about 15 years ago, maybe more. I think it retailed for around 25K then. I think the review said that included with the price was the fact that the designer would fly into your town and set it up for you. I thought that was pretty cool. I can't even get my dealer to make adjustments or minor repairs for me without an additional charge.
    I think thats what Lloyd called it back then. It went through a number of iterations. One of my friends still has one. Although Lloyd would have loved to sell me one it was much too finicky for me to deal with (plus the cost). Super nice guy. Lloyd would often come to listening sessions at my place. I attended his memorial service. It was good to see a large turnout. RIP Lloyd Walker.

He did a bunch of things that were so totally different at the time but have been copied by many others since. Some were way out there, like adding a crystal to the headshell. But others made a lot of sense like huge mass and "grounding" the individual parts to a plinth, like the underpart mounting of the tonearm and the bearing casing.

He did a bunch of things that were so totally different at the time but have been copied by many others since. Some were way out there, like adding a crystal to the headshell. But others made a lot of sense like huge mass and "grounding" the individual parts to a plinth, like the underpart mounting of the tonearm and the bearing casing.
    Lloyd was a constant tinkerer and subscribed to some voodoo like putting crystals on the headshell or covering your walls with them. I liked that he was a bit crazy. Can’t say the crystals did much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Lloyd was a constant tinkerer and subscribed to some voodoo like putting crystals on the headshell or covering your walls with them. I liked that he was a bit crazy. Can’t say the crystals did much for me.
    I have a suspicion that quite a few successful Hi-Fi components are the result of crazy ideas + trial & error.
    Like the science behind hifi-cables - The companies explanations are contradicting each other, and sometimes snake oil. (I have experienced that cables can make a big difference, but the prices are rather insane, Nordost is my favorite these days)

Since we're talking about pricey turntables, do any of you have any opinions of Basis Audio tables? They look like amazing pieces of engineering. I think the cheapest option with table and arm starts at 20K. I'm not looking to upgrade now but if/when I do, I'd love to audition them.

https://www.basisaudio.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Since we're talking about pricey turntables, do any of you have any opinions of Basis Audio tables? They look like amazing pieces of engineering. I think the cheapest option with table and arm starts at 20K. I'm not looking to upgrade now but if/when I do, I'd love to audition them.

https://www.basisaudio.com/
    AJ Conti’s tables are very nice. I have one friend still using them. He passed away and I believe his family is running the company. I don’t know how active they are in terms of manufacturing new units.

Take a look at the TW Acustic tables from Germany. I’ve been using their AC Anniversary model for years (have the first one imported into the US). Fantastic turntable.

Can someone explain the need (or not) of a step up transformer? If you have a phono preamp/section that can play MC carts, and you are able to choose different loads from say 20 ohms all the way up to 1k and even 47k, what would be the advantage of using a SUT? Or is it redundant at that point?

Did you know Nagra makes turntables?

https://www.analogplanet.com/content...layback-system

In my next life...

Can someone explain the need (or not) of a step up transformer? If you have a phono preamp/section that can play MC carts, and you are able to choose different loads from say 20 ohms all the way up to 1k and even 47k, what would be the advantage of using a SUT? Or is it redundant at that point?
    It's kind of redundant, though a SUT does add a certain flavor/tone that you may like. However ... a big however. A true SUT should be customized to specifically meet your cartridge specifications. That's a big ask. It means if you use different cartridges or sell this and buy another then the SUT you spent good $ on may not fit it perfectly. I use a different animal made by Jim Hagerman. His headamp allows me to adjust a few things to meet the requirements of my LOMC before it goes into my Hagerman Trumpet phono stage, which is MC only. This works beautifully for me, and I've tried a few SUT's. I like this better.

It's kind of redundant, though a SUT does add a certain flavor/tone that you may like. However ... a big however. A true SUT should be customized to specifically meet your cartridge specifications. That's a big ask. It means if you use different cartridges or sell this and buy another then the SUT you spent good $ on may not fit it perfectly. I use a different animal made by Jim Hagerman. His headamp allows me to adjust a few things to meet the requirements of my LOMC before it goes into my Hagerman Trumpet phono stage, which is MC only. This works beautifully for me, and I've tried a few SUT's. I like this better.
    Interesting, thank you.

Update on my speaker refoaming:

I still haven't gotten around to it. Check back here for any further lack of updates as they don't happen.