Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 Racing

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Agreed, it's ridiculous they have tracks with so little overtaking
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

There can be no denying that Lewis has what it takes, the speed and skill at which he could chase down Max was breathtaking, and although he had a tyre advantage he is clearly one of the very best when it comes to the overtake. Max was brilliant from the start though, and Red Bull having brought the challenge to Mercedes must be scratching their heads, as the latter just upped their game another notch again.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    ...I'd really like to see someone else on the podium for once!
    This is why I haven't commented on the race.

I have no interest in the points of view of the Hamilton-haters (and there are many) - the guy clearly deserves his position among the GOATs - the Schumackers / Fangios / Sennas / Prosts / etc. of the sport.
    I agree and I'm not a fan. I wasn't a fan of Schumacher or Senna, either, but I could recognize what incredible drivers they were. And to be honest, I don't really care for Max, but I'll root for him until he becomes dominant (I like rooting for the underdog ). I did the same thing with Alonso when he was young.

Incidentally, I know you didn't exclude him, but I'd still add Clark to that list. He drove an incredibly dangerous car in an incredibly dangerous era and when his stats are extrapolated, accomplished more than Schumacher did, with the exception of total wins, iirc.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I wish the Barcelona track was about half a km longer. The straights were too short for the DRS to make any difference, or to showcase any car's straight-line speed.
    Of the two DRS zones only ones was maybe long enough for passing. The other was a joke.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Of the two DRS zones only ones was maybe long enough for passing. The other was a joke.
    Agreed.

I wish the Barcelona track was about half a km longer. The straights were too short for the DRS to make any difference, or to showcase any car's straight-line speed.

And they're in Monaco next, which is way worse.
    Regards,

Duncan

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    ^ Monaco is at least fun to watch. Barcelona is easily the worst track on the circuit, IMO.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    ^ Monaco is at least fun to watch. Barcelona is easily the worst track on the circuit, IMO.
    Maybe we could trade it for another US track?? ;-)

Yah - like Miami, another no-overtake street circuit
    Regards,

Duncan

That'd be fine with me. Hell, I might even accept that horrid Las Vegas track over Barcelona.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nürburgring - now that would be fun.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^ Also a good idea. Although I hope you mean the full Nordschleife!

Regards,

Duncan

^ Monaco is at least fun to watch.
    For many it is. I've never been a fan, tho.

As long as it was a road track. But all the decent ones would need to be brought up to FIA standards. I'm thinking Watkins Glen, Mid-Ohio, Road America, Laguna Seca, or Road Atlanta. As much as I'd love to have an F1 race in my back yard, so to speak (Mid-Ohio), I'd rather see it at Road America in Wisconsin. It's 4 miles and has two long straights. From what I recall, however, it doesn't have the elevation changes the other four have.

That's what I was thinking, too. And the original, that was 14 miles long. That would never fly, tho.

Why are they not having a German GP this year? Last year they raced at Nurburgring and called it the Eifel GP.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

As long as it was a road track. But all the decent ones would need to be brought up to FIA standards. I'm thinking Watkins Glen, Mid-Ohio, Road America, Laguna Seca, or Road Atlanta. As much as I'd love to have an F1 race in my back yard, so to speak (Mid-Ohio), I'd rather see it at Road America in Wisconsin. It's 4 miles and has two long straights. From what I recall, however, it doesn't have the elevation changes the other four have.
    Laguna Seca is in my backyard! Limited grandstands would be an issue for F1 and from what I read was back in 1988. They only have two seated sections, both on the start/finish straightaway, all the rest of the course is either GA, parking or camping.

They do have Indy Car there, but the $$ of the seats is prohibitive and GA is not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    For many it is. I've never been a fan, tho.

GP.
    What about Daytona's road course where they do the 24 hour race? Plenty of seating, modern facility, although not sure how well F-1 cars would handle the high banked sections.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    What about Daytona's road course where they do the 24 hour race? Plenty of seating, modern facility, although not sure how well F-1 cars would handle the high banked sections.
    I didn't include Daytona for the same reason I didn't include Indy's road course. Tony George had a road course created that went down into the infield as well as used turn 1 (turns 12, 13, and 14 didn't exist, then):

F1 raced on that course for only six years, iirc. The problem was, in 2005, there were two tire manufacturers at the time (Michelin and Bridgestone) and Michelin didn't have any data regarding pressures and heat buildup on the sidewall. Bridgestone did due to being the parent company of Firestone, who did have the relevant data from running at the Indy 500. And from what I remember, there were two major accidents during practice where the Michelins failed. Consequently, they wouldn't guarantee the integrity of the tire and since all but three teams ran on those tires, the teams had their drivers exit the course after the formation lap. Only six drivers participated in the actual race. People were pissed. It was a disaster. And I don't think they raced there ever again.

I didn't include Daytona for the same reason I didn't include Indy's road course. Tony George had a road course created that went down into the infield as well as used turn 1 (turns 12, 13, and 14 didn't exist, then):

F1 raced on that course for only six years, iirc. The problem was, in 2005, there were two tire manufacturers at the time (Michelin and Bridgestone) and Michelin didn't have any data regarding pressures and heat buildup on the sidewall. Bridgestone did due to being the parent company of Firestone, who did have the relevant data from running at the Indy 500. And from what I remember, there were two major accidents during practice where the Michelins failed. Consequently, they wouldn't guarantee the integrity of the tire and since all but three teams ran on those tires, the teams had their drivers exit the course after the formation lap. Only six drivers participated in the actual race. People were pissed. It was a disaster. And I don't think they raced there ever again.
    I remember that race well. I was all set to go there myself, but at the last minute I had an urgent work project that prevented it.

In retrospect, that might be the first and only time that I ended up being thankful that work got in the way of my personal life! I'm glad I didn't piss away a lot of $$$ and a whole weekend to attend it.

That race was a freakin' joke, and drove a LOT of potential US fans away from F1
    Regards,

Duncan

Yup, I remember that now that you mention it and it was a disaster, although Indy Car is still using the road course and raced there last Saturday. Romain Gosjean made is comeback and finished 2nd which was kind of cool.

Yup, I remember that now that you mention it and it was a disaster, although Indy Car is still using the road course and raced there last Saturday. Romain Gosjean made is comeback and finished 2nd which was kind of cool.
    That was actually an interesting race. I was neutral about Grosjean as an F1 driver, and my wife disliked him. Mercurial - huge talent, but very inconsistent, and often heard complaining. Yet, in the Indy race, we were rooting for him
    Regards,

Duncan

That was actually an interesting race. I was neutral about Grosjean as an F1 driver, and my wife disliked him. Mercurial - huge talent, but very inconsistent, and often heard complaining. Yet, in the Indy race, we were rooting for him
    I was happy to see Grosjean find a home with Indy Car.

I was happy to see Grosjean find a home with Indy Car.
    Same here. Hopefully he will stick around for a bit, and eventually race on ovals so that he can (at least theoretically) compete for a championship.

I'd also be all in on them going to Watkins Glen (probably my favorite road course in america) or Laguna Seca. Never really a fan of mid-ohio and completely dislike the indy roadcourse (nothing to do with the 05 debacle).

Also, I know its not F1, but this book about the indycar/CART split intrigues me (I got in to motorsport a little late to be around for all of that drama):

https://sports.yahoo.com/book-chroni...203037371.html

Indycar has several interesting stories this year. Grosjean coming back after that horrible accident is one of them and it will be interesting to see if he eventually races on ovals how he does. 7 time NASCAR champion Jimmy Johnson trying a go at open wheel racing for the first time. Pablo Montoya attempting a comeback.

Also, I know its not F1, but this book about the indycar/CART split intrigues me (I got in to motorsport a little late to be around for all of that drama):

https://sports.yahoo.com/book-chroni...203037371.html
    I have that one in my que to read.

Indycar has several interesting stories this year. Grosjean coming back after that horrible accident is one of them and it will be interesting to see if he eventually races on ovals how he does. 7 time NASCAR champion Jimmy Johnson trying a go at open wheel racing for the first time. Pablo Montoya attempting a comeback.

I'll plan to watch more Indy this year!
    Regards,

Duncan