Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Colbert a Prog Fan?

Is Colbert a Prog Fan?

I don't know if anyone caught this last night on Colbert, i think it would have made Robert Fripp chuckle.

Yeah, he's made a few prog references over the years.

Clipboard01.jpg
    Remember this?^

He gushed over Rush on his old show too when they came to visit.
    Last edited by Sean; 05-22-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Yeah, he's made a few prog references over the years. He gushed over Rush on his old show too when they came to visit.
    yes, it was kind of significant that they were his first musical guest ever and he dragged it into a funny bit starting off the next night.

The guy is a major nerd. Of course he's a prog fan. I laughed far harder than my wife did at this segment.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Heavy metal goes to college? I resemble that remark.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Yeah, he's made a few prog references over the years.

Clipboard01.jpg
    Remember this?^
    Isn't that what started this thread?

That FBI bit was great!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The guy is a major nerd. Of course he's a prog fan. I laughed far harder than my wife did at this segment.
    same. at the end she was like "I didn't understand any of that"

I don't think it's even a question. I'd say there's a 100% chance he knows who Gentle Giant are
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Yeah, that was quite funny.

...Heavy Metal goes to college !!!
    G.A.S -aholic

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    ...Heavy Metal goes to college !!!
    Yeah -- AS IF heavy metal could even graduate high school

Once Colbert the one who did a monologue at some point, where he dropped in like ten Asia allusions, using phrases like "Only time will tell" and "Heat of the moment", etc in whatever topic he was talking about?

But I always thought the best music allusions were on Letterman. I remember one time, Dave was trying to remember the name of the CBS UK correspondent (actually, a character on the show, who'd basically do a British slang version of the Jive Talkers from Airplane). Dave's like, "Ya know the guy, he's got like three names...", Paul blurts out "Paul Samwell Smith!" (original Yardbirds bassist). Another good one was when he was trying to remmeber the name of a book, "Ya know, it's America...something" and Paul blurts out "AMERICAN HOT WAX!" (rock n roll movie from the late 70's).

Either Cobert or a writer or two , or it could be a nest of proggers over there.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Once Colbert the one who did a monologue at some point, where he dropped in like ten Asia allusions, using phrases like "Only time will tell" and "Heat of the moment", etc in whatever topic he was talking about?

But I always thought the best music allusions were on Letterman. I remember one time, Dave was trying to remember the name of the CBS UK correspondent (actually, a character on the show, who'd basically do a British slang version of the Jive Talkers from Airplane). Dave's like, "Ya know the guy, he's got like three names...", Paul blurts out "Paul Samwell Smith!" (original Yardbirds bassist). Another good one was when he was trying to remmeber the name of a book, "Ya know, it's America...something" and Paul blurts out "AMERICAN HOT WAX!" (rock n roll movie from the late 70's).
    Speaking of Letterman, I watched an early Brian Regan stand up on Letterman the other night on youtube and the band prior and after his routine played the main sequence of Genesis-Afterglow. Someone's clearly a fan there, I imagine it's Brian Regan.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Speaking of Letterman, I watched an early Brian Regan stand up on Letterman the other night on youtube and the band prior and after his routine played the main sequence of Genesis-Afterglow. Someone's clearly a fan there, I imagine it's Brian Regan.
    Don't forget that Syd McGinnis played in Dave's band. He played with Peter Gabriel and Fripp. So, there's some prog DNA in there.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Had to watch that twice
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Don't forget that Syd McGinnis played in Dave's band. He played with Peter Gabriel and Fripp. So, there's some prog DNA in there.
    And Dave had Jethro Tull on the show and I think Keith Emerson, among others I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Isn't that what started this thread?

That FBI bit was great!
    Oops, it was another Colbert prog thread I was thinking on - never mind!

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoise View Post
    Had to watch that twice
    Me too - that's pretty tailor-made for us! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Regan might have asked for Afterglow specifically as his play on/play off music, but Paul Shaffer is a general purpose music geek, so he might have already known the song. He's probably one of those guys who can hear a song once or twice, and repeatedly write up charts for the entire band to play.

He mentioned VdGG on his old show.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

And Dave had Jethro Tull on the show and I think Keith Emerson, among others I'm sure.
    Emerson definitely, circa ELPowell. Emerson comes on and plays an instrumental, which Dave doesn't identify, but I really liked. About a year later, I'm in music lit class, and the teacher plays the song America from West Side Story (I imagine you probably know where this story is going), and I'm like "I know that from someplace", and the teacher is like "It's from West Side Story", like that's supposed to be an explanation in and of itself for a late 80's teenager (I was into Iron Maiden and the Grateful Dead, but I hadn't yet seen West Side Story).

Then, a couple weeks after that, I'm watching a couple VHS tapes, and that Letterman clip came up, and I heard what Keith was playing, and I said, "THAT'S WHERE I KNOW THAT DAMN WEST SIDE STORY SONG FROM!".

Dave also had Pete Townshend on several times. One time he kicks of a mic stand at the end of the song, apparently by accident. The last time he was on the show on NBC, he comes on with an acoustic, starts playing the intro to Pinball Wizard, gets to the last chord of the song and stays on it for a few seconds as he steps to the mic and says, "I don't know why I'm not something from my new album tonight", then launches into the verse progression. At the end of the song he smashes the guitar, then when he goes to sit down on the couch, tells Dave that they can auction it off for charity. "It's worth more this way!", he sort of sheepishly informs us.

He had Sonic Youth on at least three or four times, the first being their "US television network debut". He had P-Funk on a couple times. He had the Allman Brothers Band on several times (one of them he had stand up comedian Stephen Wright on the same night, who informs us that he played with the Allmans circa 1975-1977 and 1982-1988, ie the years when the band didn't exist).

I remember one of the times Jerry Garcia was on the show (along with Bob Weir). After performing When I Paint My Masterpiece (really?! You're not even going to try to promote the new album? You're just gonna do a Bob Dylan cover?!). Dave asks them about what it was like playing in Egypt (which had happened about 9 years earlier) and Jerry chuckles and says "Oh, we were awful!", then freely admits they were also horrible at Monterey Pop and Woodstock as well (with Weir explaining about how the band nearly got electrocuted at Woodstock). Then they did a "parlor trick" which involved Dave, Weir, Paul, and I think Biff lifting Jerry out of his chair, with each of them using just one finger.

Later, Dave did a gag where he gets mad with Jerry because every time they play Scrabble, Jerry takes Dave's word, "Truck" and adds "i-n" to the end of it. "THat's not even a word!". Jerry assures him, "Sure it is! Truckin'!". Then there's a pause, Jerry then says, "Is this where I say 'Live from New York'?". Dave, exasperated says, "Oh, just forget it, Jerry!" and storms off.

And yes, I know it's just a joke. You people don't seem to realize I fully understand Dave's variety of humor. Well, I understood up to circa 2001 or so. When he got into that "I'm not even really trying anymore" trip during the 21st century, it got tedious (though he was sometimes still brilliant, like with the weirdo who would call the show and ask questions like what time Mannix was on or when Loni Anderson was going to be on).

"King Crimson is like heavy metal went to college." That's actually a great line!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

When I saw that on Colbert the other night, I just about did a spit take! lol
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    He had Ghost on recently, no?

Go to about 2:58 for a Peter Gabriel reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6EU80scnBU&t=95s

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Go to about 2:58 for a Peter Gabriel reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6EU80scnBU&t=95s
    more of a movie reference actually