Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Band favorites

Hello Gang!.
    I've been listening to:

- Aardvark Jazz Orchestra.
    https://youtu.be/m4ytPw7Kwbc

- Vladimir Chekasin - Can We Do It This Way?.
    https://youtu.be/ZyyqRr0sr_4

- Moscow Composers Orchestra - An Italian Love Affair.
    https://youtu.be/tncVXFVR6yo

- Finally,
    I watched without any expectation:

"Mike Patton / Mondo Cane - Teatro Caupolicán, Santiago, Chile, Sep. 21, 2011".

TBH, I liked it and this comment resume it perfectly:
    "An american singer of rock, singing pop´s italian song of the 50´ and 60´ in a southamerican country and successfully".

(I like this show more than the one in Italy)
    Last edited by TCC; 01-27-2019 at 01:59 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Can’t believe nobody (least of all me) has mentioned Carla Bley yet. She took the Big Band to strange and wonderful new places:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Can’t believe nobody (least of all me) has mentioned Carla Bley yet. She took the Big Band to strange and wonderful new places ...

Yes, agree!!
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Saturday Morning Hello! ~

In the spirit of this thread.... I wanted to pass along a recommendation for a 'big band' oriented DVD. I find my rather casual interest in big band music to be becoming more focused. The DVD, which I have owned for some time, is titled 'a Duke named Ellington'. Two hours of interviews with Ellington, band members, live footage and history view. It is a good one that had opened up my exploratory interest a bit more. My overall collection includes about 6-12 Ellington releases and I am determined to explore MORE big band efforts. Thanks much for this thread... and the contributions.

Carry On

Chris Buckley

More Carla. I love her humorous (?) spoken word intro to this:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Hello Gang!.
    Two from Mariano Otero: argentine jazz reference and bassist of Fito Páez.

- Tres (2006)

- Cu4tro (2007)

Cambio y Fuera!.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Digging:

Patchwork Jazz Orchestra - The Adventures of Mr Pottercakes (2019).

“The Adventures of Mr Pottercakes” is the long awaited début album from the young London based contemporary big band Patchwork Jazz Orchestra.”

More:
    https://sparklabel.bandcamp.com/albu...mr-pottercakes

Regards!.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Thank You, Thank You TCC!

Seems as if this is one of the things I am looking for... these days! Will definitely explore them further, tomorrow, after breakfast!

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Quote Originally Posted by winkersnufs View Post
    Thank You, Thank You TCC!
    Seems as if this is one of the things I am looking for... these days! Will definitely explore them further, tomorrow, after breakfast!

Carry On
    Chris Buckley
    You’re welcome Chris!!.
    I hope it meets your expectations! 😉

It’s a good effort IMO:
    “The music ranges from luscious and sweet melodies to broad walls of sound, from drum and bass to funeral marches, from fairytale ballads to calypso. “All eight tracks on the album have different stories and influences behind them and are the musical vision of seven composers, but all share the same excitement and joy we get out of communal music making,” says Green.

Regards!.

Kathrine Windfeld.
    - "Brilliant compositions, hard swinging ensemble parts, and stunning soloists is what quickly made Kathrine Windfeld Big Band (KWBB) one of the hottest jazz acts in Denmark." -

As part of my exploration of her different projects such as her big band, sextet, Løvdal & Windfeld Quartet and as guest composer/arranger, I start with her second album "Latency" from 2017:

"Latency is a compelling album by an outstanding Danish Big Band...The world is surely Kathrine's
    oyster if she can continue in this vein."

- Bebop Spoken Here (UK)

Me like it!.

More:
    http://windfeldmusic.dk/about.html

Regards!.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Here's a good one - the Nâtah Big Band, who seem to be a sort of French version of Snarky Puppy. Their music consists of a jazzed-up, rocked-out brand of fusion built off Breton folk music, which sounds a bit like Irish folk music and a bit like Quebecois folk music. And, appropriately, their lineup combines jazz horns with rock guitars, synth, bass, congas, and drums, plus a Breton folk ensemble of fiddle, button accordion, wooden flute, and bombard (a bagpipe without the bag). The accordionist is apparently the bandleader, and they sound every bit as French as Snarky Puppy sound American.

Here's a list of the musicians (in French, but it isn't hard to figure out):

Clément DALLOT: Accordéon (compositions)

Gabin DALLOT: Bombarde
    Rémi BOUGUENNEC: Flûte traversière
    Youenn ROHAUT: Violon

Simon PELE: Trompette
    Romain CADIOU: Trompette
    Simon LATOUCHE: Trombonne (arrangements cuivres)
    Maxence RAVELOMANANSOA: Saxophone ténor/Flûte traversière
    Benoît CARNET: Saxophone ténor
    Maël MOREL: Saxophone baryton

Kevin LE PENNEC: Guitare
    Romain SALMON: Guitare
    Edouard RAVELOMANANSOA: Claviers
    Daravan SOUVANNA: Basse
    Basile GUEGUEN: Batterie
    Théo MORIN: Percussions

Ronan LE CORRE: Son (sound)

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Here's a good one - the Nâtah Big Band, who seem to be a sort of French version of Snarky Puppy. Their music consists of a jazzed-up, rocked-out brand of fusion built off Breton folk music, which sounds a bit like Irish folk music and a bit like Quebecois folk music. And, appropriately, their lineup combines jazz horns with rock guitars, synth, bass, congas, and drums, plus a Breton folk ensemble of fiddle, button accordion, wooden flute, and bombard (a bagpipe without the bag). The accordionist is apparently the bandleader, and they sound every bit as French as Snarky Puppy sound American.

Me like it!, thanks for the H.U.!

"They’re basically a self-described “trad groove big band”." - "This big band fuses their repertoire of traditional Breton dance with jazz and funk, amongst others."
    https://www.lestrans.com/en/artist-c...ah-big-band-2/

Regards!.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Wow, that's good stuff!
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Hello Gang!.

- Free Sessions, Vol. 2: Freequestra by Samo Salamon & Freequestra. -
    "A free jazz-avantgarde orchestra containing some of the best Slovenian improvisers and the great Italian saxophone player Achille Succi."

This album is an invitation to continue exploring the discography of Samo Salomon, a great slovenian guitarist IMO!.
    He has released 25 albums as a leader for recognized labels being "Ornethology" (2003) one of his most recommended … will do the homework!. ;-)

https://samosalamon.bandcamp.com/alb...-2-freequestra

More info.:
    http://www.samosalamon.com/

Regards!.
    Last edited by TCC; 04-11-2019 at 10:21 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

wow! Great thread. I am enjoying a lot of the stuff posted.

For my part I love the writing of Benny Carter so this album is one I have always loved.....

All of the mentions here have been very exceptional. Huge fan of the Secret Society, among all the other big bands. I want to mention two that have not been mentioned here: The Maria Schneider Orchestra. Her last recording 'The Thompson Fields' is very impressionistic and almost classical in nature. I hear echoes of both jazz and Copeland. And let us not forget her collaboration with David Bowie on his piece Sue (or in a Season of Crime). Pretty brilliant all the way around.

And last, and certainly not least, check out the Don Ellis Orchestra. Around from about 1966-1978. THIS is progressive big band music. recordings to check out include 'Electric Bath' 'Live at Fillmore' 'Tears of Joy' and his final 'Live at Montraux'. A whole lot of things going on in this band. Most notably, the use of meter and time signatures (and having three drummers and one percussion player helped). Just really brilliant music.

Quote Originally Posted by fictionmusic View Post
    wow! Great thread. I am enjoying a lot of the stuff posted.

For my part I love the writing of Benny Carter so this album is one I have always loved.....

+1!.
    Cheers!
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by MoZo View Post
    All of the mentions here have been very exceptional. Huge fan of the Secret Society, among all the other big bands. I want to mention two that have not been mentioned here: The Maria Schneider Orchestra. Her last recording 'The Thompson Fields' is very impressionistic and almost classical in nature. I hear echoes of both jazz and Copeland. And let us not forget her collaboration with David Bowie on his piece Sue (or in a Season of Crime). Pretty brilliant all the way around.

And last, and certainly not least, check out the Don Ellis Orchestra. Around from about 1966-1978. THIS is progressive big band music. recordings to check out include 'Electric Bath' 'Live at Fillmore' 'Tears of Joy' and his final 'Live at Montraux'. A whole lot of things going on in this band. Most notably, the use of meter and time signatures (and having three drummers and one percussion player helped). Just really brilliant music.
    Okidoki MoZo, thanks for the H.U.!
    I'm little familiar with the music of Don Ellis.
    Last edited by TCC; 04-20-2019 at 03:23 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Hello Gang!.
    Digging’:

- Michael Wollny, Tamar Halperin, hr Bigband ‎– Wunderkammer XXL. (Collector’s edition)
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Another winner to my ears:

- Dancer In Nowhere - (2019)
    Third album by Tokyo-born Miho Hazama with the m_unit, her highly qualified 13-piece signature ensemble!!.

Preview:
    https://youtu.be/3SeC5C90lAc

More:
    https://mihohazama.bandcamp.com/album/dancer-in-nowhere

Regards!.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Hello Gang!.
    Digging’:

- Michael Wollny, Tamar Halperin, hr Bigband ‎– Wunderkammer XXL. (Collector’s edition)
    Splits the difference between prog and compositional jazz very effectively. Notice some of the reed doubles - Eb contra clarinet, anybody? - that the harpsichord player plays glockenspiel with her left hand while continuing the ostinato with her right during the piano solo, and that pianist's feet, which rival Barbara Dennerlein's for speed if not accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Another winner to my ears:

- Dancer In Nowhere - (2019)
    Third album by Tokyo-born Miho Hazama with the m_unit, her highly qualified 13-piece signature ensemble!!.
    Some good stuff, but when she ventures into idiomatic jazz it falls a bit flat (IMO).

I studied arranging with a brilliant guy named Ron Collier who studied with the brilliant Russell...lydian chromatic technique anyone?

^^^
    Very cool record! I have a bunch of George Russell albums. I love his stuff!