Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw Queensryche / John 5 / Eve To Adam Last Week

Saw Queensryche / John 5 / Eve To Adam Last Week

I saw Queensryche / John 5 / Eve To Adam at 20 Monroe Live in Grand Rapids MI last Wednesday night.

Eve To Adam opened with a nice set of heavy rock. I don’t know much about these guys, but they had kind of a typical late 90’s early 00’s heavy rock sound. Not quite metal, but not too far away from it either. Their set didn’t make me want to rush out and buy an album, but it was enjoyable.

Next up was John 5. John is probably best known for his work with Rob Zombie (his current full-time gig), Marylyn Manson and Rob Halford, but 5 has played with a who’s who of other musicians over the years. In the break between bands, the roadies quickly constructed a rather elaborate little stage set that was pretty cool looking like something out of a horror movie. 5 came on and proceeded to do about an hour set of cool instrumental hard rock / metal that obviously featured a lot of riffing guitar. 5’s set reminded me a lot of Satriani or Vai live and I really enjoyed it. For his finale 5 payed tribute to Neal Peart performing an instrumental version of “Limelight” and “Fly By Night” followed by a selection of other classic rock riffs, some that he wrote. I would like to get the chance to see him do a full set sometime if he ever comes around again.

Next up was Queensryche. Of course, the debate rages on as to who the “real” Queensryche is. After the split with Geoff Tate in 2012 a lot of people have refused to even give the time of day to the current Todd Latorre version of the band, but I think that is a big mistake. For me LaTorre has breathed new life into this band, and they have put out 3 excellent albums which are by far the best thing the band has done since “Promised Land” back in the mid-90’s. I have seen the LaTorre led Queensryche once before a few years ago, and they have definitely upped their production values since then. The performance featured a great light show and just generally strong production. The band were great right from the get-go mixing up newer material with old classics. LaTorre’s vocal range is truly amazing and he can hit all the high notes on material that went all the way back to the band’s first EP. He sounds enough like Tate that it is certainly still Queensryche but puts his own unique spin on his vocals as well. Michael Wilton has really stepped up to the plate on guitar and played most of the leads throughout the night. Parker Lungren also took the occasional solo and they both did some really nice twin harmony guitar work during the set. Eddie Jackson is solid as ever on bass. All in all, I loved this show. For those out there that say, no Tate, no Queensryche I would suggest giving the current band a chance. This was so much better than the last few times I saw the Queensryche with Tate (and I have seen the band more than a dozen times).

Here are the set lists:

JOHN 5:

CRANK IT LIVING WITH GHOSTS
    SIX HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SIX PICKERS IN HELL
    ZOINKS
    HELL HAW I.G.R.
    HOWDY
    SEASON OF THE WITCH
    FIRST VICTIM
    THE BLACK GRASS PLAGUE
    I AM JOHN 5
    CACTUS FLOWER
    NEAL PEART TRIBUTE / INSTRUMENTAL MEDLY (LIMELIGHT, FLY BY NIGHT, THUNDER KISS 65, THE BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE, SPOONMAN, DR. FEELGOOD, UNCHAINED, I’M BROKEN / WALK)

QUEENSRYCHE:

PROPHECY
    OPERATION MINDCRIME
    WALK IN THE SHADOWS
    RESISTANCE
    MAN, THE MACHINE
    TAKE HOLD OF THE FLAME
    NO SANCTUARY
    BENT
    DARK REVERIE
    BREAKING THE SILENCE
    SILENT LUCIDITY
    JET CITY WOMAN
    SCREAMING IN DIGITAL
    QUEEN OF THE REICH

ENCORE:

LIGHT-YEARS
    EMPIRE
    EYES OF A STRANGER

The eons are closing
    That Ryche set is fantastic - Screaming in Digital!

I was never one who bought into the Tate is Ryche mindset and am a firm believer in this version of the band.

Now....if you said No Degarmo No Ryche...well :-)

Thanks for the reveiw, will need to investigate the openers
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Here is some pretty good video I found from the show of one of the track from the new album:

Found some good John 5 video from the show as well:

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    That Ryche set is fantastic - Screaming in Digital!

I was never one who bought into the Tate is Ryche mindset and am a firm believer in this version of the band.

Now....if you said No Degarmo No Ryche...well :-)

Thanks for the reveiw, will need to investigate the openers
    Yup, and "Digital" was great as was "Queen Of The Ryche". LaTorre can really belt those old classics out.

I'm a "Queensryche light" fan. That album Operation Mindcrime was so powerful - in an awesomely sick way (kind of how "Sleepytime Gorilla Museum Natural history affected me) I feel almost dirty after listening to those. I can take a few songs, but I have to consume it in limited amounts.

Is DeGarmo not in this version?

Chris has not played with Queensryche since 1998.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    For those out there that say, no Tate, no Queensryche
    Is there anybody out there who still feels that way??

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    Chris has not played with Queensryche since 1998.
    He has worked with them though...SteveSly can set me straight

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I'm a "Queensryche light" fan. That album Operation Mindcrime was so powerful - in an awesomely sick way (kind of how "Sleepytime Gorilla Museum Natural history affected me) I feel almost dirty after listening to those. I can take a few songs, but I have to consume it in limited amounts.

Is DeGarmo not in this version?
    Mindcrime is timeless, as apropos then as now.

Truly not a week goes by without a Mindcrime earworm at the office.

He has worked with them though...SteveSly can set me straight
    He appeared on the "Tribe" album in 2003, although I don't think he toured with them. I saw the tour, but can't remember. From everything I have heard, he remains on friendly terms with both Tate and the members of Queensryche. Michael Wilton has hinted at possibly collaborating with Degarmo in recent years, but I don't think anything has happened. Wilton and Degarmo appear to have remained pretty close friends.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Is there anybody out there who still feels that way??
    When the show was announced the venue's Facebook page had a lot of comments about no Tate no Queensryche.

Mindcrime is timeless, as apropos then as now.

Truly not a week goes by without a Mindcrime earworm at the office.
    "Mindcrime" is still their masterpiece IMO. The last time I saw Tate's version of Queensryche (this was prior to him loosing the lawsuit), they did the whole "Mindcrime" album.

I hadnt heard about the lawsuit... got any additional info? I knew Geoff back in the 80's pre-QR. He was a dick.

I hadnt heard about the lawsuit... got any additional info? I knew Geoff back in the 80's pre-QR. He was a dick.
    Went to High School with Geoff (Jeff then) in the 70’s. He was a good friend then. Fame can truly poison the soul.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

The eons are closing
    I took my youngest brother to his first arena show when he was 15. Was Ryche on Empire tour (w/ full Mindcrime) w/ Suicidal Tendencies opening.

At the Brendan Byrne Arena lol

Basically, the story goes, that Tate was kicked out of the band in 2012 after an incident where he spit on drummer Scott Rockenfield during a performance in Brazil and then everything blew up after the show. Rockenfield, Wilton, Lungren, and Jackson brought in vocalist Todd LaTorre and went on as Queensryche, putting out a self-titled album in 2013. Meanwhile, Tate put his own version of Queensryche together with Kelley Gray, and released the album “Frequency Unknown” also in 2013. So, at that time there were two different versions of Queensryche releasing albums and touring. The lawsuit followed regarding which band had the right to use the name Queensryche. In the end the band won, and Tate lost, so Rockenfield, Wilton, Lungren, Latorre, and Jackson won the rights to use the Queensryche name. Tate had to change his band’s name to Operation Mindcrime. Now Tate tours / records under both Operation Mindcrime and as a solo artist.

I took my youngest brother to his first arena show when he was 15. Was Ryche on Empire tour (w/ full Mindcrime) w/ Suicidal Tendencies opening.

At the Brendan Byrne Arena lol
    I also saw that tour in Kalamazoo MI. Although I have seen Queensryche over a dozen times, that one was probably the best of the bunch. They were really at the top of their game and the production was stunning.

When the show was announced the venue's Facebook page had a lot of comments about no Tate no Queensryche.
    Idiots.

I also saw that tour in Kalamazoo MI. Although I have seen Queensryche over a dozen times, that one was probably the best of the bunch. They were really at the top of their game and the production was stunning.
    I saw QR on the Empire tour at the Long Beach Arena. That was One. Killer. Show. It was note-perfect but so badass. They were firing on all cylinders. "Resistance" was the last song I expected to hear for an opener. "Roads to Madness" was played near the end of the set.

Warrior Soul opened.

"Mindcrime" is still their masterpiece IMO.
    Hands down! My buddy and I were just talking about how timeless the lyrics are. This was one of the first handful of CDs I ever bought when I got my first CD player. Still reminds me of my first apartment.

I knew Geoff back in the 80's pre-QR. He was a dick.
    This does not surprise me.

Tate put his own version of Queensryche together with Kelley Gray, and released the album “Frequency Unknown” also in 2013.
    "F U" Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    This does not surprise me.
    Actually, I got along OK with him, he was just extraordinarily aloof, and hated our keyboardist who really was the nicest guy, just not a metalhead. Geoff already thought he was pretty awesome, and, quite honestly, he was. I recall him hooking up his echoplex to the PA and then in that awesome deep voice saying "I wanna do Devil Music.... and I want to MEAN it! " We weren't a devil music band, but we were a band that made money. He lasted a few weeks and then bailed and the next thing I heard he was at the Lake Hills Roller Rink playing with a band called Queensryche...The rest is history..

He made the right choice, but I guess his bag of smart choices has been used up. Are these "latter" albums worth listening to? If I listen to QR now, its always parts of Op-Mindcrime - I just cant take the brunt of that full album... Its just so friggin' dark.

Actually, I got along OK with him, he was just extraordinarily aloof, and hated our keyboardist who really was the nicest guy, just not a metalhead. Geoff already thought he was pretty awesome, and, quite honestly, he was. I recall him hooking up his echoplex to the PA and then in that awesome deep voice saying "I wanna do Devil Music.... and I want to MEAN it! " We weren't a devil music band, but we were a band that made money. He lasted a few weeks and then bailed and the next thing I heard he was at the Lake Hills Roller Rink playing with a band called Queensryche...The rest is history..

He made the right choice, but I guess his bag of smart choices has been used up. Are these "latter" albums worth listening to? If I listen to QR now, its always parts of Op-Mindcrime - I just cant take the brunt of that full album... Its just so friggin' dark.
    I saw Tate perform with Avantasia in Munich in December. He sounded great, and while he does have the reputation of being a jerk, chronicles of his months on the road last year with Avantasia suggest the opposite.

He seemed poised and comfortable, well accepted by his band mates. Perhaps being just a part of a larger ensemble rather than the leader made a difference.

And quite frankly, I don't think Tobias Sammet would tolerate an arrogant jerk among his ranks.

Were you in Myth? IIRC, that's Geoff's pre-QR band. Randy, the keyboardist, and Kelly, the guitarist, are in Geoff's current band.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post

"F U" Coincidence?
    Not at all. I am not sure if you have ever seen the album cover, but if I remember right it is of a fist rings on the fingers that say F.U. Totally deliberate.