Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Opeth - The Clean Vox Albums

Watershed, Cauda and Storm Corrosion arrived today. I’m very impressed with the songwriting and playing on all the Opeth albums. Even the songs, that for me, are ‘ruined’ by pounding guitars and goofy vocals have potential. Opeth should re-record them in their more recent prog styles LOL (which they won’t, and probably shouldn’t). I’m now really liking Sorceress ….cannot really work out why I didn’t like it right from the start. That’s prog, I suppose.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Pale Communion came in the mail today, so I'll be listening to that in a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    Watershed, Cauda and Storm Corrosion arrived today. I’m very impressed with the songwriting and playing on all the Opeth albums. Even the songs, that for me, are ‘ruined’ by pounding guitars and goofy vocals have potential. Opeth should re-record them in their more recent prog styles LOL (which they won’t, and probably shouldn’t). I’m now really liking Sorceress ….cannot really work out why I didn’t like it right from the start. That’s prog, I suppose.
    Let me know how you take to Cauda. It has the most moving album closer in their history IMO. Mikael's anguished cry at 6:34 that ushers in the anthemic closing melody gives me shivers every single time.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The only clean vox Opeth I have heard is Sorceress. While not bad, I didn't feel like the songs flowed together very well and so the album didn't sound cohesive to me. That was after only one listen (so far). I haven't given up on Opeth yet though. I'll probably check out the ones that bookend that one next.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 01-27-2022 at 09:38 PM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Pale Communion came in the mail today, so I'll be listening to that in a little while.
    Where did you order it from? It seems to be out of print and the only place that seems to have it is discogs (which is typical for oop albums it seems).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I was able to get the CD/BluRay version, but for some reason my player ‘chokes’ on the CD so I’ve only spun the BluRay so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    The only clean vox Opeth I have heard is Sorceress. While not bad, I didn't feel like the songs flowed together very well and so the album didn't sound cohesive to me. That was after only one listen (so far). I haven't given up on Opeth yet though. I'll probably check out the ones that bookend that one next.
    FWIW took me a half dozen or so spins though to start to ‘get it’.

Pale Communion on vinyl here (and CD). Its an event spinning and flipping that beast. Artwork is sick. A masterwork imo. Side 4 is a really really great side.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Where did you order it from? It seems to be out of print and the only place that seems to have it is discogs (which is typical for oop albums it seems).
    I ordered a used copy from Discogs, from France. The price was decent, though the digipack could be in slightly better shape.

I'm listening to it now, because I fell asleep a couple of songs in last night! The album seems good, it was me!

In Cauda Venenum arrived today. I'm psyched to listen to this one, because I had one listen a while ago on Spotify and it sounded very good. So far of the last three albums, Pale Communion is the one I like the least. But I need to listen to In Cauda Venenum, and then give them all more listens.

I think ICV is my favorite of the New-peth era, but it might be the one I return to least. I find it to be a somewhat emotionally "heavy" album, and I have to be in the right mood to fully enjoy it.

Last night I listened to the Swedish version of ICV, and this morning I'm now listening to the English version. With the Swedish version, even flipping between both the English and Swedish versions of the lyrics it was hard to follow along (the small type and elaborate olde fonts they use don't help. I mean come on, even wearing magnifying reading glasses some of that type was still TINY!). But I don't have much of an idea of what it's all about, not that that matters so much. It sounds cool!

So far my favorite SONG from these last three albums is "Sorceress." I guess it's an obvious choice, but it's such a badass song! Mikael really is da man!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Let me know how you take to Cauda. It has the most moving album closer in their history IMO. Mikael's anguished cry at 6:34 that ushers in the anthemic closing melody gives me shivers every single time.
    Not my favorite of the 'clean five' but still a really good album. Maybe I should qualify as not my favorite YET, because it was also the one I got most recently. The one I find the most interesting is Damnation because it was done prior to the pivot. Been playing around with the bass performance of my system, and all these records are dynamic and give the woofs a good workout. I do recall some comments about the recording/production quality on Pale Communion. I don't really notice anything amiss. I also had picked up Strom Corrosion. Upon initial listen, perhaps not my cup-of-tea. Shall see.

I also had picked up Storm Corrosion. Upon initial listen, perhaps not my cup-of-tea. Shall see.
    I hated it on first listen, then didn't listen again for a long time. I didn't understand what the album was supposed to be, really. Anyway, when I finally listened to it again after hearing lots more Scandinavian retro-prog, it clicked biggly. So have hope!

I have to be exactly in the right mood for Storm Corrosion or it doesn't work.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I prefer the clean vocal Akerfeldt. Dude has a great voice. I don't mind the occasional growls, but too much of it takes me out of the groove. Just my ears! I've been giving a lot of mileage to both Sorceress and In Cauda Venenum lately. Sorceress took a few listens to appreciate, but now it's a favorite. There's a lot of stuff goin on in there to appreciate with repeated listens. In Clauda Venenum so far I'm lovin it. Perfect winter jammin'....
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Not my favorite of the 'clean five' but still a really good album. Maybe I should qualify as not my favorite YET, because it was also the one I got most recently. The one I find the most interesting is Damnation because it was done prior to the pivot. Been playing around with the bass performance of my system, and all these records are dynamic and give the woofs a good workout. I do recall some comments about the recording/production quality on Pale Communion. I don't really notice anything amiss. I also had picked up Strom Corrosion. Upon initial listen, perhaps not my cup-of-tea. Shall see.
    Great to hear. Pale Communion is an amazing sounding album - mixed by SW - one of the best imo. The "problem" albums production-wise are Sorceress and In Cauda, but they do grow on you after a while (sound-wise). Fantastic music on both, though.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I prefer the clean vocal Akerfeldt. Dude has a great voice. I don't mind the occasional growls, but too much of it takes me out of the groove. Just my ears! I've been giving a lot of mileage to both Sorceress and In Cauda Venenum lately. Sorceress took a few listens to appreciate, but now it's a favorite. There's a lot of stuff goin on in there to appreciate with repeated listens. In Clauda Venenum so far I'm lovin it. Perfect winter jammin'....
    Totally! Except the part about the growling . I wouldn't change one thing about this band or their albums (except the production on "those" two).

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I have to be exactly in the right mood for Storm Corrosion or it doesn't work.
    Here's my secret recipe:

1) Hit the Gorilla Glue vape pen (or magic gummy bears)
    2) Nice pour of single malt, usually a peated Islay - or - a nice Belgian Quad
    3) Nighttime, lights off, candles lit
    4) Lazy sweatpants
    5) Crank it LOUDLY

Perfection. LOVE this album.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Here's my secret recipe:

1) Hit the Gorilla Glue vape pen (or magic gummy bears)
    2) Nice pour of single malt, usually a peated Islay - or - a nice Belgian Quad
    3) Nighttime, lights off, candles lit
    4) Lazy sweatpants
    5) Crank it LOUDLY

Perfection. LOVE this album.
    LOL! Sounds good!

I hated it on first listen, then didn't listen again for a long time. I didn't understand what the album was supposed to be, really. Anyway, when I finally listened to it again after hearing lots more Scandinavian retro-prog, it clicked biggly. So have hope!
    Thanks for fixing my typo!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Great to hear. Pale Communion is an amazing sounding album - mixed by SW - one of the best imo. The "problem" albums production-wise are Sorceress and In Cauda, but they do grow on you after a while (sound-wise). Fantastic music on both, though.
    Ah, thanks for the correction ....

Thanks for fixing my typo!
    No problem!

Right now I'm listening to the Opeth CD that came with an issue of Prog magazine with Mikael on the cover. It's old but I hadn't read it yet, so I shall now. The CD has 5 tracks of the band with an orchestra in Plovdiv from 2015.

No problem!

Right now I'm listening to the Opeth CD that came with an issue of Prog magazine with Mikael on the cover. It's old but I hadn't read it yet, so I shall now. The CD has 5 tracks of the band with an orchestra in Plovdiv from 2015.
    Wow...never heard that...I'll check MeTube.

Just got my copy of Sorceress on Friday!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart