Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill Bruford autobiography

Bill Bruford autobiography

I just finished Brufords autobiography (translated into French by Aymeric Leroy) excellent read , lots of humour and sometimes frightening (in terms of disillusion) inside into the music business. The chapter about prog is one of the best analysis of the "phenomenon" ever written imo.
    One of my favourite passages about the Close To The Edge sessions where he compares the efficency of jazz musicians who record on half a day several tracks while
    it took half a day for the Yes members to know which day it was, Lol
    Last edited by alucard; 09-02-2018 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    I just finished Brufords autobiography (translated into French by Aymeric Leroy) excellent read , lots of humour and sometimes frightening (in terms of disillusion) inside into the music business. The chapter about prog is one of the best analysis of the "phenomenon" ever written imo.
    One of my favourite passages about the Close To The Edge sessions where he compares the efficency of jazz musicians who record on half a day several tracks while
    Great book.. I seem to remember a thread some time ago on this topic..

It was a very, very entertaining book.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Excellent read, I went back to it several times... and it was all his writing, too. Not the usual ghost-written musician autobio. And whenever the subject comes up, I can't help but mention my favourite quote:

"Adrian Belew is a father; Robert Fripp is not. When my children were small, there was always a cookie monster in Adrian's suitcase when he came to visit. When Robert came to visit, his idea of fun was to tell the same children at the same age that their necks were so pretty and appealing that he'd like to sink his teeth into them and lick their blood. Their mother was speechless for days."
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I have still to get to this. I picked it up awhile ago. Thanks for bringing back to my attention. Everyone seems to rave about it. Sounds like an excellent book.

A very funny guy...

Great read and practically the official musician's handbook.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    And whenever the subject comes up, I can't help but mention my favourite quote:

"Adrian Belew is a father; Robert Fripp is not. When my children were small, there was always a cookie monster in Adrian's suitcase when he came to visit. When Robert came to visit, his idea of fun was to tell the same children at the same age that their necks were so pretty and appealing that he'd like to sink his teeth into them and lick their blood. Their mother was speechless for days."
    The subject of Fripp's vampirism?

That kind of sense of humor would work fine on bigger kids (mine), but small kids would rightly find it out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Excellent read, I went back to it several times... and it was all his writing, too. Not the usual ghost-written musician autobio. And whenever the subject comes up, I can't help but mention my favourite quote:

Ha - holy shit! wow
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I guess he tells the story about the CTTE sessions where he falls asleep and wakes up in the middle of the night to find Chris still talking to the sound engineer about whether a specific note in a specific measure should be F or F# (or something like that)... either way, thanks for the reminder, I gotta get this book...
    Last edited by Garden Dreamer; 09-06-2018 at 02:24 PM.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

To get an idea of Bill's writing you can read the first chapter here.
    Look at http://www.billbruford.co.uk/ for all the different versions ( four languages, standard or deluxe editions, etc.).
    I have the first English edition, but when I saw the deluxe edition with the two 10" albums I bought that one two.

I have the book as well. My dad ordered it for me as a Christmas present, but first got a completely different book. Not about music and not by Bill Bruford. Not sure who the author was. It might be a Buford.

Still yet to read it , as I'm currently working on Aymeric's Canterbury book (reaching halfway through), which I'd stopped about a year ago.

I know Aymeric won't be shocked if I treat both of those books as "medium priority' (I read his Yes book last spring), but I keep having more urgent readings, ones that don't require music playing along.
    Also currently reading in parallel, John Sinclair's Guitar Army (MC5) in the light of the 68 uprisings that shook the planet solme 50 years ago.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Definitely a very entertaining, well-written and researched read - certainly not your average rocker's autobiography, that's for sure. Amazing to think it's almost 10 years since it was first published.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'm currently working on Aymeric's Canterbury book (reaching halfway through), which I'd stopped about a year ago.

I know Aymeric won't be shocked if I treat both of those books as "medium priority' (I read his Yes book last spring)
    Actually, what I'm shocked by is the concept that you're "working" on one of my books. This is actually quite frightening. ;-)
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Actually, what I'm shocked by is the concept that you're "working" on one of my books. This is actually quite frightening. ;-)

"j'y travaille" en franglish dans le texte
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I loved the biography! A lot of people harped on the supposed negative attitude he had to performing, but you need to take the book as a whole to understand. As he indicates, 30+ years in the business with much of the time spent doing the business side of things, I can see it getting old just like any other job. Very entertaining and enlightening. My favorite section was the recording session with Levin on an Al DiMeola record. Hours spent sitting around waiting for Al to show up, they finally get up and running, Levin knocks out one perfect take, packs his bass and just walks out while Al and the engineer are waiting and expecting him to do some more takes. Obviously told much better by Bruf, but hilarious!
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Enjoyed it tremendously when it came out, several years ago. I've been floored by how well articulated and how funny Bill is. I am fairly sure I would get another kick just by reading it again.

Oddly there doesn't seem to be an e-book edition - perhaps Bill doesn't approve of such? Keep meaning to read this, but will mean lugging the damn thing around in my backpack.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Bought this for my bro-in-law years ago. Probably time for me to ask to borrow it!

For anyone interested:

1. A review of the book;
    2. An excerpt, which Bill kindly allowed us to run, from the chapter Chapter 10: Is it different, being in jazz?
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    Enjoyed it tremendously when it came out, several years ago. I've been floored by how well articulated and how funny Bill is. I am fairly sure I would get another kick just by reading it again.
    in the mid to late 90's, my buddy taped a France Culture radio interview (or is it France Inter or Europe1) where Bill and the interviewer are having a ball, the interviewer not being the last to get Broof laughing.
    A few weeks later the interviewer managed to do Peter Hammill that made a point of having the interview in French.

I tried to buy this but its out of stock everywhere I try. I guess I'll have to get it used. Too bad, I wish he'd get it for Nook books. Its like free for him to allow it, and I'd still gladly pay the full 29 bucks for it. - Apparently he already has enough money and doesn't need my humble contributions to his coffers. I am both impressed and dissapointed.