Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KRAAN

KRAAN

Any fans of these crazy Germans?

What's yer favorite album by them?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Ok yeah. I like a lot of their stuff. The first live is my fave of theirs

I like them a lot.

My favorites are: Live, Wintrup, Kraan, Andy Nogger & Wiederhoren.

My favourite is their self titled debut but also really like Wintrup and Andy Nogger. The first live one is a classic and I also enjoy two later ones called Through and Psychedelic Man. How 'bout the bass player. Oh my !
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I've just recently discovered Kraan and love 'em. To me they're Germany's answer to early Steely Dan (though I recall reading somewhere about how early Steely Dan was described as "weird German jazz", so there ya go.) And of course how could I not like them being a bass player?

But can someone tell me when the heck they're gonna get some reissue love?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I've noticed on their first 3 albums, a tendency for the occasional outburst of YOU era Gong ecstasy. These Gong-like sections don't last for many minutes but they are absolutely stunning moments.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

One of my top 5 (maybe 3) German bands. If I had to cite one or two favorite Kraan rekkids, I'd probably say Wintrup and Weiderhoren, but I haven't heard any Kraan I didn't like, including Nachtfart and Psychedelic Man. Their early stuff is really cool, kinda jagged and almost funk-punkish in spots. Very creative. It seemed like they were thumbing their noses at the conventions of the time (prog or otherwise). Even by German standards they were unique.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Love 'em. Live and Andy Nogger are my favourites.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Huge fan...another plug for Andy Nogger, the 1st Live one (up there w/ Who Live At Leeds or any other live album imo) and Wierderhoren. I heard recently that they may be kaput... no more live shows, anyone know the real story?

I only have one live album by them but I've seen them twice. Great band. I suppose I would label them fusion if I had to label them.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Not to toot the festival’s horn, but Kraan is yet another example of ProgDay being the first to bring the band to the United States. Anyone who was there will remember a truly remarkable performance that ranks with the all time best in the festivals 20 year history. I have a soundboard recording of the show and it was truly something special. One of the few times I have ever seen an entire prog festival crowd on their feet up clapping and even dancing along. It was a magical moment.

As for their albums all of their live ones are great IMO. The only studio album I have is “Soul Of Stone” which is good. I also have the compilation “Famous Years Compiled” which I think is a very nice overview of their stuff. I had never heard of them until Michael Bennet turned me on to them. I am glad he did, cause they are great.

^ I totally agree Steve. For one thing how many prog bands can bring people to their feet dancing in the front row? Not many. The band has a really good groove so I can see where dancing is ok. That show you mentioned certainly ranks as one of my favorite PD moments also(even if it wasn't outdoors).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    ^ I totally agree Steve. For one thing how many prog bands can bring people to their feet dancing in the front row? Not many. The band has a really good groove so I can see where dancing is ok. That show you mentioned certainly ranks as one of my favorite PD moments also(even if it wasn't outdoors).
    Yea, it is hard to describe to anyone who was not there, but I have never seen anything like that at any prog festival before or since. It was a totally spontanious response to a band that was just on fire and totally connecting to the audience.

My favorite is probably Wiederhören. I'm not that much a fan of their first 5 albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I've just recently discovered Kraan and love 'em. To me they're Germany's answer to early Steely Dan (though I recall reading somewhere about how early Steely Dan was described as "weird German jazz", so there ya go.) And of course how could I not like them being a bass player?

But can someone tell me when the heck they're gonna get some reissue love?
    I think most of their stuff is reissued. I suppose I miss 2 albums. X and Soul of stone.
    The reissue of Tournee leaves something to desired. It's short and has no extra information in the booklet.

The one thing that grates on me is a lot (not all) of the vocals. Wintrup is the biggest offender in this area. I took Silver Wings, Mind Quake and Backs from side 1 and cut out most of the vocals making a killer 11 minute medley. Side 2 only has Gut und Richtig to save it. Wintrup was very disappointing to revisit after 20+ years. Andy Nogger wasn't nearly as vocal irritating as Wintrup but I created an instrumental medley from that one as well. The best of the first 3 is the debut for me; though the production quality is not good. The engineer didn't have a mic anywhere near the Kick Drum and the mix is midrange heavy. I did the best I could to remaster the sound but the Kick Drum is still noticeably muted.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    The one thing that grates on me is a lot (not all) of the vocals. Wintrup is the biggest offender in this area. I took Silver Wings, Mind Quake and Backs from side 1 and cut out most of the vocals making a killer 11 minute medley. Side 2 only has Gut und Richtig to save it. Wintrup was very disappointing to revisit after 20+ years. Andy Nogger wasn't nearly as vocal irritating as Wintrup but I created an instrumental medley from that one as well. The best of the first 3 is the debut for me; though the production quality is not good. The engineer didn't have a mic anywhere near the Kick Drum and the mix is midrange heavy. I did the best I could to remaster the sound but the Kick Drum is still noticeably muted.
    In all honesty, I have to say the vocals were something I didn't like as well, but well, the music makes up for this. I wouldn't trade the vocals for Jon Anderson.

I'd say you can't go wrong with the first live album ('75), "Weiderhoren", another live album called "Tournee", or my personal favorite "Let It Out" (maybe because it was the first one I heard, but there's just something about that one).
    <sig out of order>

Something I came across quite by accident is that the remastered versions I have including the debut, Wintrup, Andy Nogger, Live and Let It Out when put together in that order create a picture that combines the first three studio album covers including the work KRAAN across the top. This is when you look at the ends or spines of these cds in the order I listed them.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

LOVED them at NEARFest. Have most of their stuff. Great band.

Since I started and maintains http://kraan.dk I cant deny a certain affection.
    The first I heard was live 74, and I was hooked ever since.
    The 3 first albums doesn't appeal to me so much, but I like them. Hellmut Hattler is one of the original bassguitar players of all times.
    I dont mind their vocals, I am not very interested in lyrics anyway, I'm not english speaking myself so I really dont care, I got used to it fast. They are typical english speaking Germans of their generation.
    - And they are so nice people !

As Steve says, Kraan's ProgDay performance was one of those once-in-a-lifetime events for me. Just incredible.

Rhea and I were married at ProgDay that year. Apparently Kraan heard about it and gave someone (Gerhard, I think) a copy of their "Live 2001" CD to give us as a wedding present! We already had a copy, but that was really nice of them to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    Huge fan...another plug for Andy Nogger, the 1st Live one (up there w/ Who Live At Leeds or any other live album imo) and Wierderhoren. I heard recently that they may be kaput... no more live shows, anyone know the real story?
    They are doing two reknown live Festivals this year (Burg Herzberg, Finkenbach "Finki") so I think everthing is fine.

Bass Player Helmut Hattler takes his freedom to do a lot of solo stuff, so that maybe keeps that band alive.

P.S. You are sadly correct. The band officialy resigned in November last year with a farwell concert in Neuss.
    Still they seem to appear at the Festivals, so maybe they will play live from time to time.
    Last edited by TheH; 02-16-2014 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    What's yer favorite album by them?
    "Wintrup" was one of the first ten albums I've purchased when I started to be interested in music, back in the mid-70s. So I'm sentimentally attached to it...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS