Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Genesis record a farewell album with Pete, Steve & Ant guest spots? Discuss!

Will Genesis record a farewell album with Pete, Steve & Ant guest spots? Discuss!

I've been doing a lot of reading about Genesis in these locked down times - from revisiting very old articles and books, through to the recent PROG magazine with the interviews with Phil, Tony & Mike about the new tour.

I'm probably wrong - but it seems obvious to me ... that we will eventually see a final "farewell" album, very much driven by Phil, Tony & Mike, but with a range of guest contributions from other early members? The fab 3 haven't ruled out producing a final album, and I'd be amazed if it didn't happen over the next couple of years (with Nick on drums) given the lock-down frustrations & perhaps the possible delay of the live shows later in the year.

I can see how they feel that adding Pete or Steve to the new shows would compromise the set list &/or chemistry on stage, seeing that they haven't worked together for over 40 years. However, given that very long term and close friendships remain between, for example, Mike & Ant and Tony & Pete - and given that Steve remains very much active / has a lot to offer - I just can't see them missing the chance to finally go out with a bang - and to honour their friends by inviting contributions. I think they're all too proud of their heritage, and possibly aware that "life's too short" not to.

I don't think there will be any announcements - but I can see them not just wanting to fizzle out without a final statement and a surprise "stunner" of an album - ie better than ending with Calling All Stations! And nowadays, they wouldn't even all have to meet physically in the studio - contributions by Pete, Steve, Ant can just be added in remotely! It would be the perfect way to close the book?

Discuss etc
    Last edited by zzorchering; 05-04-2020 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zzorchering View Post
    I'm probably wrong
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

No.

They can call it....Los Endos. But given the distant improbability of Gabriel, Phillips and Hackett ever playing with their bandmates from Genesis again, it might as well be called Apocalypse in 9/8.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

It will never happen. To this day Tony, Mike and Peter have a combined mind-set that early Genesis, the prog-Genesis was the product of immature youth. I actually think they are embarrassed. I'll never understand how wrong they are. The Charterhouse boys should reflect on a song from the beginning on From Genesis To Revelation...Am I Very Wrong. Very wrong is an understatement!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Because the last few Genesis albums, combine with every members solo efforts, were so awesome...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    To this day Tony, Mike and Peter have a combined mind-set that early Genesis, the prog-Genesis was the product of immature youth. I actually think they are embarrassed.
    That, if it is actually the fact, is ludicrous. I hate it when artists turn vehemently against their previous selves. Especially in cases like this, where the body of work was so utterly outstanding.

And, and embarrassed? Give us a break.

However, this makes the OP's initial question easy to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    That, if it is actually the fact, is ludicrous. I hate it when artists turn vehemently against their previous selves. Especially in cases like this, where the body of work was so utterly outstanding.

And, and embarrassed? Give us a break.

However, this makes the OP's initial question easy to answer.
    I dunno. I base my opinions on written or video interviews with the band, so these thoughts were not off the top of my head. In a nutshell Peter, Tony and Mike have basically dismissed the early band as youthful nonsense.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    ...The Charterhouse boys should reflect on a song from the beginning on From Genesis To Revelation...Am I Very Wrong. Very wrong is an understatement!
    Wait, wait....are you saying that they succumbed to the curse of the happiness machine???

Dreamer! You’re nothin but a dreamer!

There is a better chance of me sprouting wings out of my ass and flying to the moon than such a farewell album being fashioned.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Once Progressive Ears has defined What Is Prog then the band will reform. That, and the wings sprouting out of my butt.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    No.
    To elaborate, DEFINITELY no.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Are PE members total nerds? Discuss!

The notion of a Final Hurrah album where everyone comes back into the fold "one last time" has become a classic irrational longing that appears every few years in some form or another. Certain fans have been endlessly fan-tasizing in much the same manner about Yes and other bands. Better to enjoy all of the great music they're already given us than to imagine some mythical grand reunion of 70-somethings, let alone one that would result in new material that could stand alongside all of their prior glories.

As an aside, Tony in more recent interviews seems to be quite fond of a lot of the band's earlier music, which isn't surprising as a large portion of it came from him.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    As an aside, Tony in more recent interviews seems to be quite fond of a lot of the band's earlier music, which isn't surprising as a large portion of it came from him.
    Yes, if I recall correctly from the “box” interviews, he seemed particularly proud of his keyboard parts on “Firth of Fifth”. There were others I’m sure that he looks back on with satisfaction. Hackett obviously looks back fondly on many of those tunes as he demonstrates with his career and often now days with his ongoing YouTube series. I’d be surprised if the rest don’t have their favorites still from that era as well, but let’s face it, old folks tend to get ornery!

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    ... but let’s face it, old folks tend to get ornery!
    I'm feelin' it every day!

Quote Originally Posted by zzorchering View Post
    And nowadays, they wouldn't even all have to meet physically in the studio - contributions by Pete, Steve, Ant, and Ray can just be added in remotely! It would be the perfect way to close the book?
    Might as well include all the Genesis members.

Well this gave me a good laugh Maybe they already have recorded said album but just released it under the pseudonym Big Big Train? But in all seriousness, why would they even entertain this idea on so many levels? I don't even imagine Collins/Rutherford/Banks would have any interest in recording an album let alone dragging along their old mates who they last recorded with in their 20's. It's absurd.

I can't imagine Tony, Mike and Phil having any sort of interest in such a reunion, even on a purely symbolic level. I guess they are perfectly content with ending their career as a trio, and having that trio recognized as the iconic Genesis line-up by a majority of people.
    Obviously I'd be delighted to be proved wrong by facts in the the coming years, and I would welcome an unlikely burst of youthful-yet-mature progginess from all of them, including Ray, but then it would fuel speculations about Yes doing the same, hence many more Yes threads, and I'm not sure the world is ready for that.

This will never happen.
    Gabriel and Rutherford have consistently shown a complete disregard for the early albums.
    Banks hates Hackett.
    Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

I think this is just as improbable as an Oasis reunion with Liam and Noel Gallanger or an UB40 reunion with all old members.
    Last edited by Rarebird; 05-05-2020 at 04:03 AM.

Total fantasy I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    Banks hates Hackett.
    You know this for a fact, do you?