Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson - New Music Coming? (2020?)

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I read it to mean he had a greater hand personally constructing the tracks on the computer this time (and probably more in his home studio than in a professional space), rather than taking the more organic "band makes an album in the studio" approach of past efforts. I think that partially explains the more electronic and processed vibe to everything.

And I wonder how much of that was driven by a desire to simplify the whole thing and save some money. Remember, he's now got a wife and child to help support.
    It supports my theory that he's spending a lot less time on music nowadays and more time with his new family. He had only booked a handful of UK & European dates with none in the US and that was before the virus outbreak too. Maybe his record co think they can sell this album but it sounds like it's going to be quite unpopular with many existing fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    It supports my theory that he's spending a lot less time on music nowadays and more time with his new family.
    I certainly hope that's true. He can still pursue music, but maybe his focus is more on his family (which is where it should be, IMO). Love and family are more important, and if Steven has found some happiness in having a family now then that makes me happy.

Wilson is participating in a Twitter listening party for Hand.Cannot.Erase today, sharing insights and answering questions. 9PM British Summer Time, that's 4PM US East Coast and 1PM West Coast.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Looking like I'm skipping this album for sure.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Looking like I'm skipping this album for sure.
    It's a listen online album for me I expect, I like elements of Personal Shopper but regardless of genre it's not that good a song.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Wilson announced today that album is postponed to next year.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Full announcement:

"As with many of my albums, The Future Bites is not just about the music, it's a high concept project which involves design, artwork, video and a tour production, all on a grander scale than anything I've attempted before. However, due to the pandemic, there are unprecedented challenges, ranging from manufacturing issues (particularly in relation to the elaborate deluxe edition) and the uncertainty facing record stores as the coronavirus forces them to close their doors, to being unable to shoot most of the video material I planned. It's therefore with a very heavy heart that I reluctantly need to postpone the release of The Future Bites until such time everything can happen as intended. This will now be January next year, with new music and video starting to be issued again around October. In the meantime the pre-order page for the various editions of the album will remain online, although I plan to take the deluxe edition off the site some time before it completely sells out, in order to give fans simply not in a position to purchase at the moment a chance to get it nearer the time. Meanwhile, myself, management, agent and promoters are monitoring the situation regarding the live shows scheduled for this autumn. Should events change we will let everyone know as soon as we do.

I understand that this may be disappointing news, and to no one more that myself, believe me. I worked on the music and background of this project for the last two years and was thrilled to finally be able to launch it. The response to the Personal Shopper track released last month has been phenomenal, and I was looking forward to unveiling more over the next few months in the build up to the release of the album. But alas due to the current circumstances it was not to be.

I sincerely send everyone reading this a message of good health, and I hope that one day in the not too distant future we can once again focus on things like music, which even if it isn't strictly essential seems to somehow make life more worthwhile.

SW x

This delay is unsurprising. I understand his concept for the album that envisages the release as much more than a digital download of ~38 minutes of music. I'd love to see that digital download now with physical product and deluxe editions to follow later. But, I imagine - from a commercial perspective - this won't work out well. He and his management want to make money and a low-cost digital download approach isn't very satisfactory (much like restaurants that can't welcome sit-down customers now employing a take-out only model, which can barely recoup costs).

I'm surprised that his big venue concerts scheduled for September haven't yet been postponed. I'm not very enthused with the prospect of going to the O2 Arena in mid-September with thousands of other people, on the assumption that the Covid crisis is still active and a vaccine is not yet available.

I wonder just how much music he intended to release as teasers. The album being a mere 38 minutes, Personal Shopper was already a quarter of that.
    As for the tour, no postponement announced yet but I can't imagine it will go on as planned if the whole multimedia campaign around the album is pushed back.

The silver lining we can hope for I guess, is that with time on his hands we'll get even more new music - even if it's in the Bass Communion or IEM mode.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    The silver lining we can hope for I guess, is that with time on his hands we'll get even more new music - even if it's in the Bass Communion or IEM mode.
    Agreed.

And I have to confess I was already struggling to warm to the whole The Future Bites concept, but I'm even more so now. In 6 months is anyone going to give a shit about cynical harangues against digital consumerism when online grocery shopping is literally what is helping to put food on the table for millions of people during this crisis?

I'm sort of hoping SW has a hard re-think about the kind of musical messages he should be beaming out to the world in response to what's happening. It's nice to rant about the future, but I think he'd be better served talking about the present.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    The response to the Personal Shopper track released last month has been phenomenal
    Wow. Well, I'm happy for him that he has gotten good response for that track and to all who like it, but it does nothing for me at all.

neil

Agreed.

And I have to confess I was already struggling to warm to the whole The Future Bites concept, but I'm even more so now. In 6 months is anyone going to give a shit about cynical harangues against digital consumerism when online grocery shopping is literally what is helping to put food on the table for millions of people during this crisis?

I'm sort of hoping SW has a hard re-think about the kind of musical messages he should be beaming out to the world in response to what's happening. It's nice to rant about the future, but I think he'd be better served talking about the present.
    You actually have a very good point here and this may in fact be the reason why he's pushing the whole thing back.
    Last edited by LeFrog; 04-22-2020 at 01:29 PM.

It seems he is more concerned with the packaging and videos than he is the music, this speaks volumes. To my mind he should just release the music for those who want to hear it and buy it, we don't need record shops anymore anyway (sadly)..

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    I think he's doing this just to get a rise out of PE posters.

"You don't like my falsetto? Well, here's an ENTIRE SONG of it!" :

That's Sir Elton John reading out the product list, by the way.
    Elton John's become the Don Pardo of prog. He does a long voiceover on Kate Bush's Fifty Words for Snow album.

It seems he is more concerned with the packaging and videos than he is the music, this speaks volumes. To my mind he should just release the music for those who want to hear it and buy it, we don't need record shops anymore anyway (sadly)..
    Yup. I miss the SW who sat down with an acoustic guitar and recorded songs like "Nine Cats."
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

There is no way on earth those arena gigs are happening this year. We may see some relaxations of lockdown, but 20,000 people under one roof is not going to be allowed.

Yup. I miss the SW who sat down with an acoustic guitar and recorded songs like "Nine Cats."
    I love that acoustic version he did, like lightening in a bottle, pure magic.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Elton John's become the Don Pardo of prog. He does a long voiceover on Kate Bush's Fifty Words for Snow album.
    Elton John sang on one song of that album (Snowed In On Wheeler Street). The voiceover on the title song was done by Stephen Fry.
    One thing is for sure, the sheep is not a creature of the air.
    https://sproingg.bandcamp.com/

although the new album has been pushed back to early 2021, Steven has been making a fun new podcast with Tim Bowness about Album Years.

https://anchor.fm/the-album-years?fb...nz-W-fv0uoGh6A

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    although the new album has been pushed back to early 2021, Steven has been making a fun new podcast with Tim Bowness about Album Years.

https://anchor.fm/the-album-years?fb...nz-W-fv0uoGh6A
    Thanks for linking this -- I've been wanting to listen to it. We're all music nerds here, and it's fun to listen to two guys who are probably even more hard core music nerds talk about the music they grew up with. You get the sense they could go well beyond the time limit imposed by a podcast (they're already on episode 3 ) Some of the albums they're picking were obviously a bigger deal in the UK than they were in the US (The Durrutti Column, etc.), but I like that they're steering clear of stuff everyone has already heard a gazillion times.

Thanks for linking this -- I've been wanting to listen to it. We're all music nerds here, and it's fun to listen to two guys who are probably even more hard core music nerds talk about the music they grew up with. You get the sense they could go well beyond the time limit imposed by a podcast (they're already on episode 3 ) Some of the albums they're picking were obviously a bigger deal in the UK than they were in the US (The Durrutti Column, etc.), but I like that they're steering clear of stuff everyone has already heard a gazillion times.
    As expected, they talked about all the music I hated from 1980

As expected, they talked about all the music I hated from 1980
    But apparently on SW's list was Yes' Drama album. I get the sense their lists include some stuff many of us here like (Yes, Bowie, etc.), but for the podcast they chose to talk about the more... controversial items.

I haven't seen an announcement by SW but I've just been notified that the September concert I had a ticket for has been cancelled. I guess I could see it coming with the album being pushed back but it's now official.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I haven't seen an announcement by SW but I've just been notified that the September concert I had a ticket for has been cancelled. I guess I could see it coming with the album being pushed back but it's now official.
    Cancelled rather than postponed?

I just tried, and you can still buy tix for London.
    Last edited by Steve983; 05-23-2020 at 11:53 AM.