Page 95 of 129 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 3205

Thread: The Audiophile Thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    "Hafler configuration"? Is that where the rear speakers are wired up to play only the DIFFERENCE between the front left and front right speakers, i.e. using the positive lead from each?
    That was the implication, but it would not be necessary to form L-R or L+R after amp.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    "Hafler configuration"? Is that where the rear speakers are wired up to play only the DIFFERENCE between the front left and front right speakers, i.e. using the positive lead from each?
    your link no worky

I*believe so, yes. It's been a long time. I remember it could sound cool at times, but most of the time sounded rather phasey. It was capable of making some rather unusual, unmusical sound as well.

Sorry, an errant forward slash crept in at the end of my link.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafler_circuit

Sorry, an errant forward slash crept in at the end of my link.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafler_circuit
    That's fine. I went ahead and searched. I remember that it worked well for live concerts and a few TV shows/ talk shows. Cheers was a show recorded in stereo; you could here lots of ambient noise (voices, glasses clinking). The audiences in TV talk shows seemed louder. I bought a plastic project box and made a volume control for the rear speakers. This was useful in controlling the effect.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I remember that it worked well for live concerts and a few TV shows/ talk shows. Cheers was a show recorded in stereo; you could hear lots of ambient noise (voices, glasses clinking). The audiences in TV talk shows seemed louder.
    Anything stage far-left or stage far-right would end up in the derived L-R rear channel. Audience noises are usually mixed to the wings, since they're not supposed to be the focal point of any music or TV production.

And depending on whether the derived signal was L-R, or R-L, it could be out-of-phase with either the left front or the right front speaker, which could lead to some phasey artifacts.

which could lead to some phasey artifacts
    ... as long as it sounds good !

There are many approaches to HiFi.

Anything stage far-left or stage far-right would end up in the derived L-R rear channel. Audience noises are usually mixed to the wings, since they're not supposed to be the focal point of any music or TV production.

And depending on whether the derived signal was L-R, or R-L, it could be out-of-phase with either the left front or the right front speaker, which could lead to some phasey artifacts.
    If I were so inclined, I'd just get a surround receiver. DSP will always be better than some parlor trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    There are many approaches to HiFi.
    There are many approaches to listening to music.

Not all of them are Hi-Fi or audiophile

There are many approaches to listening to music.

Not all of them are Hi-Fi or audiophile
    That too.
    When (much) younger I had excellent memorable musical experiences from a phillips mono plasticturntable with loudspeaker in the lid.

Those were the days.

Something like this.

It wasn't mine, but a friend's. We played to a couple of Beatles singles he had, and Manfred Man: Ha ha Said the Clown... , I played a ukulele, he played on plastic buckets.

Now you're talkin'.

As kids, we used those toy record players as p.a. systems. We'd put the stylus on our larynx and talk.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Banned
    I got this new set of Sony earbuds ($30 on Amazon, price matched at Best Buy) with “Extrabass”. Bass is really clean and deep. Was listening to Rush Subdivisions and realizing how intelligible vocals are on these. Great song and his vocals sound better on these than I have ever heard. I had only listened in the car most recently. Been a long time since hearing it on the good system. To revisit the RNRHOF Yes performance of Getty, it was destroyed by HBO if his bass sounds like this in reality.

They're doing truly remarkable things with earbuds these days. The Apple buds that came with my phone (I think?) are remarkably close to real headphone sound.

I just can't stand the feel of them in my ears. Feels like somebody shoved beans in my ears.

Banned
    They're doing truly remarkable things with earbuds these days. The Apple buds that came with my phone (I think?) are remarkably close to real headphone sound.

I just can't stand the feel of them in my ears. Feels like somebody shoved beans in my ears.
    Are those the wired ones? The Apple wired ones don’t interface to by ears well and therefore have a tinny sound, but not bad. These Sony’s are incredible. The Apple lightning to mini plug adapter contains a DAC that sounds very good. Apple DACs have been pretty freakin good starting with the 3rd gen IPod which had a highly rated Woolfson DAC. Audiophiles modified the analog section of the device which was a limiting factor.

Day two of isolation and I've increased the volume of the office stereo (my wife is shifting from one 24 news channel to another). It's glorious to hear the difference the DAC made to the signal coming off my PC. I've got the latest Djam Karet playing and the details are clear and crisp.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I am now giving my poweramp this treatment:

http://whatishifi.blogspot.com/2017/...l?q=HCA+2200II

Much cheaper than buying a Halo...hope it works

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I am now giving my poweramp this treatment:

http://whatishifi.blogspot.com/2017/...l?q=HCA+2200II

Much cheaper than buying a Halo...hope it works
    Good luck!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Hmmmm....

- Best Audiophile Chinese Voices Vol.1 Disk 1 - 01 Wish To Marry Han Family Boy

Parasound upgrade update.

It’s sonically a huge improvement in so many ways, mostly in the upper register – especially transparency, staging and depth! I notice details in lots of music that didn’t catch my attention before! Timbres on a drumkit I hadn’t noticed, changing of the reverb in a tune, different reverb on instruments in a song, new layers in a recording is noticable, etc., so much fun! I have even listened to referencerecordings just for fun (which haven't done in 20 years)!
    I have never heard the Halo a21 at home, so unfortunately I can't compare, but this was definetely worth the money!!

If any of you should own a Parasond HCA 2200 mk2, live near Denmark and can’t do this operation yourself, Per Tophøj from https://tophojteknik.dk/ is the man! He adjusted and upgraded mine at a very fair price.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Devotion bordering to...
    but he could afford it, and he is happy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Wow! Well one things for sure: he realized his personal dream and used the sweat of his brow and his own ingenuity.

You gotta admire the folks that just go for it.

Anyone watch the series Bosch on Amazon? Harry has a sweet Mac system.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart