Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Phish?

The reissue of Junta is absolutely mindblowing. I have always loved this album but this recent reissue remastered from the analog masters takes this album to new heights. It's probably now a top 10 best sounding LP that I own.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    The reissue of Junta is absolutely mindblowing. I have always loved this album but this recent reissue remastered from the analog masters takes this album to new heights. It's probably now a top 10 best sounding LP that I own.
    Did you get the black and white splatter version that was just reissued late last year? I bought that as an extra copy, haven't opened it yet. I have one of the 2015 reissues on black vinyl and it does, indeed, sound fabulous.

Phish vinyl is apparently a good investment. I have pretty much every album they've reissued and even though they're quite pricey to begin with they seem to be going for double what I paid on Discogs now that most are sold out at Phish Dry Goods.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Did you get the black and white splatter version that was just reissued late last year? I bought that as an extra copy, haven't opened it yet. I have one of the 2015 reissues on black vinyl and it does, indeed, sound fabulous.

Phish vinyl is apparently a good investment. I have pretty much every album they've reissued and even though they're quite pricey to begin with they seem to be going for double what I paid on Discogs now that most are sold out at Phish Dry Goods.
    Yes, it's the 3-LP Splatter from 2020. Unbelievable sound. $40 new.

Did they reissue Lawn Boy as well? I Might hunt down a copy if it's done as well as Junta.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Yes, it's the 3-LP Splatter from 2020. Unbelievable sound. $40 new.

Did they reissue Lawn Boy as well? I Might hunt down a copy if it's done as well as Junta.
    Yes, but not since 2013, so the few copies available on Discogs are currently $175 and up. Sealed copies of the 2020 Junta reissue are already listed for $100 and up.

^ I figured as much. I was pretty lucky to nab a new Junta I guess. I'm gonna play the creamcheese out of those platters.

Been spinning Rift. Before this I hadn't played this cd since before 2000 sometime, so its been a solid 20+ years. Excellent album. Oddly enough I am enjoying myself way more than when I bought the damn thing back in the day. It has some proggy moments, but it really works as an album with real flow. Pretty phuckin good. Pretty, pretty, pretty phuckin good.

Been spinning Rift. Before this I hadn't played this cd since before 2000 sometime, so its been a solid 20+ years. Excellent album. Oddly enough I am enjoying myself way more than when I bought the damn thing back in the day. It has some proggy moments, but it really works as an album with real flow. Pretty phuckin good. Pretty, pretty, pretty phuckin good.
    It has the best songs Trey and Tom Marshall wrote together, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    It has the best songs Trey and Tom Marshall wrote together, I think.
    Did Marshall just write lyrics or did he compose the music with Trey, sort of like the Lee/Lifeson collaboration?

Just spun Fuego for the first time. Great playing, production, execution, etc. The songwriting definitely heads in a mellower direction with the emphasis (I think) on the lyrical content instead of any quirky musical bits they used in the past. Because I'm into Rift currently its hard not to compare, but for me Rift is a way more entertaining and enthralling album. I am going to revisit most/all of their studio stuff, a lot of it I've never heard. I did spin the first three tunes on Sigma Oasis last night and I was (sorta) digging it. Trey's voice has matured nicely, and his guitar tone is beautiful as always but different as well.

Did Marshall just write lyrics or did he compose the music with Trey, sort of like the Lee/Lifeson collaboration?
    Pretty sure Marshall just writes lyrics.

There is a ton of live stuff now, wow. I'm streaming a few shows from 94 through 97. I saw them live in 91, 94 and 96 I think. I have essentially lost touch with the band, so I haven't heard a live gig from probably 98 until now. Yeah, that's a chunk of time. I am very familiar with A Live One and really love that compilation album.

A few years ago I started listening to the Grateful Dead (I may be the only fan who would rather listen to a studio album) and I decided to get almost all of the Phish discography (I only need big boat and Sigma oasis...also only have a handful of official released live albums) and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed them. It helped that o could find almost everything for less than $3.

I honestly had only really heard Trey on the Oysterhead album back in 1999? When it came out, I was disappointed...I have learned the error of my ways since.

At that time I also checked out, but was not as pulled in by Moe and Umphry's McGee. Maybe need to revisit and check out other similar acts?

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post

At that time I also checked out, but was not as pulled in by Moe and Umphry's McGee. Maybe need to revisit and check out other similar acts?
    I'd look into Solar Circus/Juggling Suns (Pittsburgh,) Max Creek (Connecticut,) and Goose.

Maybe need to revisit and check out other similar acts?
    Disco Biscuits were a modernized yet still interesting aspect of the jam sound... The Wind At Four To Fly is a very pleasant album to listen to.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Umphrey's are more on the prog side like early Phish. They had a studio CD around 2004 called Anchor Drops that I liked a lot, but their later records didn't draw me in as much.

Moe put out a full-show live CD in the early 2000's that I bought - pretty decent hippie-rock songwriting but the jams were more hard rock guitar soloing without much input from the rhythm section. I asked a friend about that disc and he said their earlier (90's) stuff was better.

For me I much prefer Phish over those other bands.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Umphrey's are more on the prog side like early Phish. They had a studio CD around 2004 called Anchor Drops that I liked a lot, but their later records didn't draw me in as much.

Moe put out a full-show live CD in the early 2000's that I bought - pretty decent hippie-rock songwriting but the jams were more hard rock guitar soloing without much input from the rhythm section. I asked a friend about that disc and he said their earlier (90's) stuff was better.
    I've never clicked with Phish - in fact - they kinda make me angry. haha. No clue why the hostile vibes I get - I never liked GD either - maybe I associate both with some loosy goosy happy jam stuff and I cant suffer that. Shrug!
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Disco Biscuits were a modernized yet still interesting aspect of the jam sound.
    If you guys want to hear something really killer, watch the Billy & The Kids concert from Red Rocks on YouTube. It's got Bill Kreutzman from the Grateful Dead on drums, Billy Strings on lead guitar, and the keyboard player from the Disco Biscuits, who is phenomenal. Maybe as good as any current Prog-Rock keyboardist. The other musicians are crack players as well. Accessorize when you watch Seriously, if you have any inclinations toward the Dead or Jamband scene in general, you need to see this.

This is night #2. The vids from night #1 are also a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchentootz View Post
    I've never clicked with Phish - in fact - they kinda make me angry. haha. No clue why the hostile vibes I get - I never liked GD either - maybe I associate both with some loosy goosy happy jam stuff and I cant suffer that. Shrug!
    I think some Phish-heads would flip over Cardiacs, and they are essentially polar opposites yet there are some similarities in a surreal non-pretentious attitude, etc. And Cardiacs pre-date Phish but essentially were the same era. I think Trey would love Tim's creations.

I think some Phish-heads would flip over Cardiacs, and they are essentially polar opposites yet there are some similarities in a surreal non-pretentious attitude, etc. And Cardiacs pre-date Phish but essentially were the same era. I think Trey would love Tim's creations.
    I'm always waiting for someone (Grohl did a teeny bit and we all know about Patton being a fan) famous to go completely apeshit publicly for Cardiacs - never happen but I can hope. lol

How about Twiddle? Can't say I've heard much of their music, but they seem to be touring all the time.

<sig out of order>

Or Dogs In A Pile?

<sig out of order>

^ Zal Cleminson should sue.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchentootz View Post
    I just said basically the same thing on the Goose thread - only reason I looked is the Goose I'm familiar with is anything but Prog. Sort of obnoxious Duran Depeche wannabe's. They're biggish in Europe.

I've lived in the SF Bay Area my whole life, know far too many Dead Heads and have been dragged to far too many of their shows back in the day (the girls were not worth it). Everybody told me I'd like them more if I saw them live (wut?) because their music doesn't translate to studio albums. No, I didn't like them more. In fact, a bit less. I tried. I guess I just didn't pick up on the good lysergic vibes. Not a slight on their musicianship (when not tripping balls). Somewhere there's some people with a "2376452 Days Since Last Dark Star" banner hanging in their commune.

Quote Originally Posted by Victorian Squid View Post
    I just said basically the same thing on the Goose thread - only reason I looked is the Goose I'm familiar with is anything but Prog. Sort of obnoxious Duran Depeche wannabe's. They're biggish in Europe.

I've lived in the SF Bay Area my whole life, know far too many Dead Heads and have been dragged to far too many of their shows back in the day (the girls were not worth it). Everybody told me I'd like them more if I saw them live (wut?) because their music doesn't translate to studio albums. No, I didn't like them more. In fact, a bit less. I tried. I guess I just didn't pick up on the good lysergic vibes. Not a slight on their musicianship (when not tripping balls). Somewhere there's some people with a "2376452 Days Since Last Dark Star" banner hanging in their commune.
    Yeah - same here - did a show in 91? Acid didnt even make it work. I just saw smelly dirty people trying too hard to be hippies and deadheads - it was like being at college with the same artists and freaks - except worse. Art school was great tho! I can understand the appeal to some people - my brother is pretty big on Phish and GD - his attempts to grab me were lost. Henry Cow might be the problem. HA!