Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: PE Fitness Thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Resistance training would be your friend. For every pound of muscle you build, you burn an additional 50 calories everyday.
    Perhaps, but I didn’t get down to 170 until I retired and started hiking 5 miles a day. I do arm exercises to keep my circulation good in my arms after a fall. Inelastic tissue developed in my arm which I have worked out and replaced with elastic.

Banned
    As for hiking, I have joined hiking groups in the Baltimore/DC area and we have some great natural hiking trails here. Some of the hikes are thru urban areas, like the one we did in DC from Union Station to the National Arboretum and then distilleries and breweries near Union Market.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    As for hiking, I have joined hiking groups in the Baltimore/DC area and we have some great natural hiking trails here. Some of the hikes are thru urban areas, like the one we did in DC from Union Station to the National Arboretum and then distilleries and breweries near Union Market.
    I'm lucky enough to live near a handful of NY state parks which have tons of woodland acreage and trails. Plenty deep enough to hear nothing but nature...so wonderful for my sanity and as exercise, it can't be beat.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Me, too!

Round is a shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    As an Asian doctor said once: "Walk, no run. Heart only have so many beats". I'll get back to you on this exercise thing after I finish digesting my breakfast pizza.

Just had a good workout with minimal shoulder pain. Hopefully my shoulder is rehabilitating,finally. I had to fight the urge to go heavy, and do more sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Just had a good workout with minimal shoulder pain. Hopefully my shoulder is rehabilitating,finally. I had to fight the urge to go heavy, and do more sets.
    That sounds encouraging. Do you typically vary your rep range?
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    That sounds encouraging. Do you typically vary your rep range?
    Yes. I usually try 12-15 reps, but less sets. I use the old pyramid method. But the days of doing 5-6 reps with heavy weight are over. At this age I'm not interested in building any mass, just burning fat, get heart rate up, etc.

At age 60 now, started wearing a pedometer about a year ago to measure my steps-per-day. (knowing that the recommended steps are ~ 10,000/day) I'm averaging about 7800/day. Not bad.

On the down-side....it looks like I'll need rotator cuff surgery soon.
    G.A.S -aholic

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    At age 60 now, started wearing a pedometer about a year ago to measure my steps-per-day. (knowing that the recommended steps are ~ 10,000/day) I'm averaging about 7800/day. Not bad.

Have you tried walking on your feet?
    <sig out of order>

I have kept in shape throughout my adult life. Having never owned a car, I walk everywhere. I also own a Bowflex M3 machine and I do interval training 3 times a week. I also own another piece of equipment that allows me to do pull ups, dips, push-ups without breaking my wrists, crunches. I work on that 2 days a week. When the nicer weather rolls around, I get hybrid bike out and try to do a couple of long runs per week. I'm 53, stand 5'8'' tall, and weigh under 140 lbs. Most people who meet me are always surprised by my age. Most would shave 10 years off, if they had to guess. I take pride in that.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Also 60 and having (in 16 days) surgery that I had hoped would be rotator cuff. No such luck. Six hours of cutting and fusing on my cervical (neck) vertebrae, followed by weeks if not months in one of those collars. (No, not a Cone of Shame. Cervical collar.)
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I'm thinking of getting an Aerodyne bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    (No, not a Cone of Shame. Cervical collar.)
    Cmon though...the Cone of Shame would be pretty damn funny

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Also 60 and having (in 16 days) surgery that I had hoped would be rotator cuff. No such luck. Six hours of cutting and fusing on my cervical (neck) vertebrae, followed by weeks if not months in one of those collars. (No, not a Cone of Shame. Cervical collar.)
    Good luck with that.

Following my health scare of the last few years I am pleased to say I am getting back to fitness. I rejoined my favourite local health club, it’s in the country has a lovely pool, well equipped gym, constant studio classes and a golf course. I had joined a cheaper gym in town, but the depressing scenery and fight for parking spaces antagonised me more than the benefit of the pool and cardio.

I have a varied week of long swims, moderate weights, some cardio work, but have started attending yoga classes, and am really enjoying them. My balance is awful compared to the experienced practitioners, but I feel I am slowly improving and the holistic nature of the experience appeals.

I am eating less and more healthily, drinking hardly at all, and am in pretty good shape for my 58 years, although I have much night time joint pain, where I seem to have worn out knees and ankles after too many years of running and football. I’m hoping the flexibility from the yoga will start to help me here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Following my health scare of the last few years I am pleased to say I am getting back to fitness. I rejoined my favourite local health club, it’s in the country has a lovely pool, well equipped gym, constant studio classes and a golf course. I had joined a cheaper gym in town, but the depressing scenery and fight for parking spaces antagonised me more than the benefit of the pool and cardio.

I have a varied week of long swims, moderate weights, some cardio work, but have started attending yoga classes, and am really enjoying them. My balance is awful compared to the experienced practitioners, but I feel I am slowly improving and the holistic nature of the experience appeals.

I am eating less and more healthily, drinking hardly at all, and am in pretty good shape for my 58 years, although I have much night time joint pain, where I seem to have worn out knees and ankles after too many years of running and football. I’m hoping the flexibility from the yoga will start to help me here.
    Well done! Inspiring post. I wish you well!

Also 60 and having (in 16 days) surgery that I had hoped would be rotator cuff. No such luck. Six hours of cutting and fusing on my cervical (neck) vertebrae, followed by weeks if not months in one of those collars.
    Good luck sir. Godspeed on your recovery!

Keep up with the walking. Good job! Good luck on your surgery. Godspeed to you as well on the recovery.

Most people who meet me are always surprised by my age. Most would shave 10 years off, if they had to guess. I take pride in that.
    You should! I envy you there. Looks like you have this fitness thing down rather well. Nice job!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Came across this short, funny, inspirational video:

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxRHejWJiYo

It's in Spanish though. 72 year old gramps humbles young people in gym.

This may also fit in the geezer thread................Want a Workout??? Rent a Lawn Aerator and "do the block". Holy Jeebus, that thing kicked my ass! All the lawns in the cul-de-sac are curved.....and this monster doesn't do curves......even with a 3-day a week weight training circuit....I'm feeling it this morning.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    This may also fit in the geezer thread................Want a Workout??? Rent a Lawn Aerator and "do the block". Holy Jeebus, that thing kicked my ass! All the lawns in the cul-de-sac are curved.....and this monster doesn't do curves......even with a 3-day a week weight training circuit....I'm feeling it this morning.
    tell me about it! I do aerations with work every Spring and Fall...thing is an ass-kicker!

Hey there, glad to hear that you're getting back into fitness! It's always inspiring to hear about someone taking control of their health.

Banned
    Since I posted here last, I stopped hiking with hiking groups because they were too slow. I upped my game to 6 miles per day, but technically only hike with real elevation change 3 times a week.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I have a bike I like to ride

Since I am now retired I have more time for working out so am in the best shape I have been in for years. When not travelling (which we do a lot of) I do a weight workout, walk 3 laps of our neighborhood which is about 4.5 miles, and ride my stationary bike for 30 to 60 minutes daily.

On the negative side I have problems with metatarsalgia in my right foot which is very painful and worse when I walk which I find frustrating. I also gained about 25 pounds, when I had my knee replacement surgeries 2 years ago and have not been able to loose it. Beer is the main culprit as I drink a lot of it, and like the good high calories stuff. I also love ice cream and eat too much fried food, so mostly my own fault. I think lack of stress in my life also contributes. I had a very high stress job when I was working which often impacted my appetite and often when stress was high, I would loose weight.

On the whole though, I am in the best shape I have been in years at 61.

Banned
    ^^^^ I need to do strength exercises.