Page 41 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 2217

Thread: The Everything Metal Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Been binge-ing on Budgie. What a heavy band. This weekend, my favorite Budgie album is. .... Power Supply (1980). Secrets In My Head is a slammer.
    Well, Power Supply is where they decided to jump on the NWoBHM bandwagon (a style they strongly influenced) and become a full-time heavy metal band. John Thomas was their new guitarist and had brought a sharper sound that suited with their new direction. A fine album indeed but it is not the real Budgie.

Their classic line-up in my opinion is the Shelley-Bourge era. Their first five albums are mega-recommended and Never Turn Your Back On A Friend is an all times heavy rock classic that's been shoplifted by hundred bands during the 80s.

Finally, Tredegar, formed by former Budgie members Tony Bourge and Ray Phillips, were another curiosity. In the NWoBHM style themselves, they rocked solidly but didn't manage to achieve any success and remained a collector's obscurity.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 08-25-2020 at 04:38 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Lately I'm thinking that I'm listening to the same albums on Youtube over and over, so I bought one. I found Volcanic Rock by Buffalo on Amazon. I got is faster than I thought I would. To my surprise it was a two-fer. Volcanic and We Only Want You Fer Yer Body ( or whatever tf the title is ). For 13 bucks I got 2, kickass, early, heavy proto-metal albums.
    Buffalo's first three albums could easily be considered pre-stoner rock. I always considered this specific heavy rock genre as endlessly copying riffs of four bands: Sabbath, Mountain, Grand Funk and Buffalo.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Not sure why Uli left the band around this time but he really was what made them great in the mid 70s.
    In my opinion he wanted to carry on the Hendrix influence to another level and he found himself restricted in Scorpions. Especially on the new more commercial direction that was starting to sneak-in on Taken By Force. I think that he wanted to further explore the musical approach that his contribution in Polar Nights (on Virgin Killer) brought. A spiritual study on the Hendrix style, that didn't fit within Schenker/Meine's framework. His Electric Sun albums are what he wanted to do and clearly Scorpions could not agree to play such stuff in 1978. Great albums instrumentally, unfortunately marred by a very bad singing...
    Last edited by spacefreak; 08-25-2020 at 07:16 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

There's a couple of Samson songs I simply, can't stop playing. Both are from the Bruce Bruce albums.

Walking Out on You
    Bloodlust

Just a great, heavy groove. It's more hard rock than metal but it's got some heft.
    He was never such good with Maiden (where he trademarked his ball-breaking air raid siren monotony). For an underground 80s metal fan as me, Harris should have stuck with DiAnno and Samson with Bruce. However, they wouldn't have emerged outside their barholes (except from Japan).
    Last edited by spacefreak; 08-25-2020 at 05:06 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Well, Power Supply is where they decided to jump on the NWoBHM bandwagon (a style they strongly influenced) and become a full-time heavy metal band. John Thomas was their new guitarist and had brought a sharper sound that suited with their new direction. A fine album indeed but it is not the real Budgie.

Their classic line-up in my opinion is the Shelley-Bourge era. Their first five albums are mega-recommended and Never Turn Your Back On A Friend is an all times heavy rock classic that's been shoplifted by hundred bands during the 80s.

Finally, Tredegar, formed by former Budgie members Tony Bourge and Ray Phillips, were another curiosity. In the NWoBHM style themselves, they rocked solidly but didn't manage to achieve any success and remained a collector's obscurity.
    From everything I've heard by Budgie I'd rank the albums as:

Budgie (debut): My absolute favorite. Hands down.
    Squawk
    In For The Kill
    Power Supply
    Bandolier
    Never Turn Your Back......
    If I were Britannia..........
    Impeckable

The rest is kind of forgettable. Especially You're All Living In Cuckoo Land (just awful).
    E-A-T

From everything I've heard by Budgie I'd rank the albums as:

Budgie (debut): My absolute favorite. Hands down.
    Squawk
    In For The Kill
    Power Supply
    Bandolier
    Never Turn Your Back......
    If I were Britannia..........
    Impeckable

The rest is kind of forgettable. Especially You're All Living In Cuckoo Land (just awful).
    I think that the mini LP If Swallowed, Do Not Induce Vomiting is better than the ...Britannia... and Impeckable albums. Couldn't say that for Nightflight though, that still remains a more or less decent Budgie album; although on a more radio friendly side. Deliver Us From Evil was a complete disaster. Made me to never listen to any Budgie, past that one...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I think that the mini LP If Swallowed, Do Not Induce Vomiting is better than the ...Britannia... and Impeckable albums. Couldn't say that for Nightflight though, that still remains a more or less decent Budgie album; although on a more radio friendly side. Deliver Us From Evil was a complete disaster. Made me to never listen to any Budgie, past that one...
    If Swallowed ....is pretty cool. On YT it's included as bonus tracks on Power Supply. Panzer Division Destroyed is probably my favorite track.

Panzer Division Destroyed is probably my favorite track.
    Yes, killer track and probably best Budgie song during their metal days.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

RIP Riley Gale of Power Trip

We're commemorating Jimi's passing 50 years ago. Also remembering Dio who passed 10 years ago. Rock In Peace..❤

Been playing Voivod....The Wake all day. What a masterpiece of quirky, progressive, adventurous, thrashy rock.

His Electric Sun albums are what he wanted to do and clearly Scorpions could not agree to play such stuff in 1978. Great albums instrumentally, unfortunately marred by a very bad singing...
    To be fair, the lyrics are also terrible.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Watain Lawless Darkness

Listening to Blue Cheer...."Highlights and Lowlives" from 1990. It's 80s, gritty, bluesy, trio, metal, kind of like The Rods. I dig it. It's not the Blue Cheer I want but it's better than grunge or hair metal.

Listening to an album by Diamond Head, the self titled album from 2016. It smokes. Recommended.

Listening to an album by Diamond Head, the self titled album from 2016. It smokes. Recommended.
    If you like Diamond Head check out their most recent one "The Coffin Train". It is one of my favorite metal albums of 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    If you like Diamond Head check out their most recent one "The Coffin Train". It is one of my favorite metal albums of 2019.
    Do they still exist? I thought they were gone in 1984...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Do they still exist? I thought they were gone in 1984...
    They broke up for a while in the late 90's, and there have been member changes, but they have been back together since the early 00's.

Been listening to a lot of one album obscurities on YT. Most of this stuff is heavy, proto-metal. I'm listening to a Canadian trio called Charlee. The star of this trio is guitarist Walter Rossi. The tone, control, and neck vibrato is powerful. There's a Mahogany Rush vibe.

Been listening to a lot of one album obscurities on YT. Most of this stuff is heavy, proto-metal. I'm listening to a Canadian trio called Charlee. The star of this trio is guitarist Walter Rossi. The tone, control, and neck vibrato is powerful. There's a Mahogany Rush vibe.
    Trios grow on trees up there! Sounds interesting. I'll look 'em up.

^ It's very blues based. The guy even sings a little like Frank Marino. Like I've said a few times, the devil must be Italian...... Some of the most badass rock guitarists are al paisanos.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Does anyone know what's happened with Just Eric? Anyone seen him online?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Does anyone know what's happened with Just Eric? Anyone seen him online?
    Yes, all the time.

He's fine.
    Regards,

Duncan

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Yes, all the time.

He's fine.
    Say hi to him for me Duncan. A great guy.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Here's something different:

Caveat - only for the adventurous. It contains cookie monster vox, courtesy of this^^^ female vocalist - who flip-flops between clean and angry delivery.

Ignore the cheesy horror-story video

I'll be researching this crowd a bit more to see if they're worth following, and buying.
    Regards,

Duncan