Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: A Gift To Progressive Ears - Now A Gift To YOU (Please Read)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Thanks, I was just worried there’d be a featured thread with my one or two sentences.
    1 or 2 sentences would be okay!
    Regards,

Duncan

Thanks again Duncan! Here is what I received a moment ago, anxious to dive in shortly:

- Tea Dance (20s / 30s / 40s vintage tea party) - collection of tracks from Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller Orchestra, Hoagy Charmichael and many more. I love this kind of music !

- The Hatfield and the North - The Rotters Club - I've wanted to listen to more Canterbury music and this will be a good excuse to jump right in.

- News From Babel - (Box Set with 3 CDs) - Sirens and Silences, Work Resumed on the Tower and Letters Home - have no idea about this band, looking forward to exploring these mystery recordings.

Good stuff and thank you again. Hope to write some reviews shortly and will follow Duncan's instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    So I got mine a few days ago and only just opened it. Duncan + thank you for the organization (and the randomness!).

Carry On Chris.

My box:

Wish You were Here (w/ a ticket inside case)
    Tin Hat - The Sad Machinery of Friends
    le Orme - il fiume
    Flying Bulgar Klezmer Band - Tsirkus

[emoji120]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Flying Bulgar Klezmer Band are great. I have their self-titled album. Tin Hat, as well as Tin Hat Trio, are also great. Saw both versions and really enjoyed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post

- The Hatfield and the North - The Rotters Club - I've wanted to listen to more Canterbury music and this will be a good excuse to jump right in.

- News From Babel - (Box Set with 3 CDs) - Sirens and Silences, Work Resumed on the Tower and Letters Home - have no idea about this band, looking forward to exploring these mystery recordings.
    Amazing stuff ya got there....

Rotters Club is the best album. Ever.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    ('The' detected and removed) Hatfield and the North - The Rotters Club - I've wanted to listen to more Canterbury music and this will be a good excuse to jump right in.
    Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Rotters Club is the best album. Ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Amazing stuff ya got there....
    Oh hell yes. Seeing someone get the opportunity to listen to that album for the first time made me smile, legit.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I received my package on Monday or Tuesday. I just so happened to not own any if it, except the dvd, but in the new version.

Isotope - gold section
    Ut Gret - radical Symmetry
    Dixie Dregs - what if
    Ultimate Wagner CD 1 Ring Highlights
    Bruford- rock goes to college DVD
    Renaissance-s/t

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Flying Bulgar Klezmer Band are great. I have their self-titled album. Tin Hat, as well as Tin Hat Trio, are also great. Saw both versions and really enjoyed them.
    re: FBKB + That is the one I'm looking forward to most.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I receive my package today. I'm thrilled by what I got! I've never previously owned any of these:

VDGG: Godbluff
    Tony Banks: A Curious Feeling
    ELO: On the Third Day
    French TV: The Case Against Art
    DVD - Love Story - This appears to be a documentary about the band Love.

Quote Originally Posted by Twelfth Earl of Mar View Post
    DVD - Love Story - This appears to be a documentary about the band Love.
    Thank goodness; I immediately thought of the Ali McGraw/Ryan O'Neal movie.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

My package arrived today!

Weather Report - Tale Spinnin'
    Flying Bulgar Klezmer Band - Fire
    Santana - Moonflower

I didn't have any of these before, so they're all "new" to me.

Thanks again, Duncan and everyone else involved!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Weather Report - Tale Spinnin'
    One of my favourite albums by one of my favourite bands!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    One of my favourite albums by one of my favourite bands!
    Nice! I love the Weather Report CDs I've got, but I only have 3 or 4 so I'm looking forward to finally hearing this one.

^And that's an awesome Santana album, too.

I didn't get involved, I thought about it but didn't really want to burden Duncan with dealing with postage to Wales. Loving reading what people have received from Chris' collection though, so do keep those posts coming. Really great CDs so far.

Received the package last Saturday

Starting with the ones I have no experience with and that certainly are going to be fun to listen to or to watch, even if not necessarily down my alley. They include the following CDs and a DVD:

Andromeda Mega Express Orchestra – Take Off!
    Henry Cow -Western Culture
    Dave Willey & Friends – Immeasurable Currents
    Weather Report - Live at Montreux 1976 (DVD)

... and then a couple of titles (CDs) I already have and will need to pass to someone:

Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts (1987 Charisma)
    Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record (2006 Epic/Legacy)

With warm thoughts of Chris and his generosity, thank you to all involved - Chris' friends and Duncan
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Been thinking about Ian lately, and how long it's been since he posted here. I miss his presence on PE.

How has he been?
    Hi ! Thanks for asking. I am doing well. Currently working on several projects in my home studio. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to PM me (I added you as a 'friend' yesterday'). My old account lives on my PC, and after the studio was built I switched to Mac and have long forgotten my password to the 'zombywoof' account, which was attached to an email account that no longer exists.

I will miss Chris at PD, he always sat behind Ian and I in the 4 or so years in a row I've attended. I will always remember Chris fondly as the guy with the pipe who knew his stuff about music. In fact, in 2019 I brought my own pipe and enjoyed an afternoon smoke and chat with him !

I am overwhelmed and inspired by his generous choice to share his collection with the PE community. What an incredible legacy to leave to people who will continue to appreciate this music.

I am so honored to receive the Henry Cow set, but will admit I wish it were under better circumstances. I will be thinking of Chris as I listen and enjoy the music !!

Quote Originally Posted by shedsounds View Post
    ... My old account lives on my PC, and after the studio was built I switched to Mac and have long forgotten my password to the 'zombywoof' account, which was attached to an email account that no longer exists....
    Let me know if you need an old account to be restored and merged with this one, and/or if you need screen names or email addresses changed.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Let me know if you need an old account to be restored and merged with this one, and/or if you need screen names or email addresses changed.

hi ! thanks for the offer, but I think I may move forward as Shedsounds. I had the other account since high school, sometimes I find my old posts and say "OMG, I can't believe I said THAT" :-P

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shedsounds View Post
    hi ! thanks for the offer, but I think I may move forward as Shedsounds. I had the other account since high school, sometimes I find my old posts and say "OMG, I can't believe I said THAT" :-P
    Most of us here can't say that, you know, the whole no internet thing, simpler times. Stupid shit limited to you immediate friends (hopefully)
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

My little grab bag arrived today! Unfortunately, I have all four of these titles already, so I did not luck out with anything new to check out like many here have. And I believe at least two of these have already been a Featured Album, so I will probably be reviewing Divinities which I don't think has been. I'm still looking forward to seeing what everyone else gets though!

Gentle Giant - Octopus (U.S. cover, mine is the U.K.)
    Ian Anderson - Divinities (with Tull/ELP ticket Sep 3 1996)
    The Beatles - White album disc 2
    Genesis - And Then There Were Three

Banned
    Package arrived, all CDs unless described as DVD:

Marillion - Script For A Jesters Tear plus 1990 Ticket for concert at Bogarts, I need to see if I have my ticket which for a show at Hammerjacks in Baltimore. The show I saw had Fish replaced with Steve Hogarth. I may have this CD (1983) as well or a remaster.

The Beat Circus - Ringleader’s Revolt - Never heard of it

Brainstorm - Smile A While - Never Heard of it

Weather Report - Black Market 24 bit remaster - Think I have it, A Certifiable Masterpiece as it says on the label

Sentido Comon - Akineton Retard DVD - Never heard of it -

Thanks again Duncan, this will be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Weather Report - Black Market 24 bit remaster - Think I have it, A Certifiable Masterpiece as it says on the label
    Well, that was the first one with Jaco, who was definitely certifiable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Maybe not certifiable at that point...or maybe just in remission. Also, not on every cut--Slim Johnson plays bass on that album too.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    For sure, I’m a Jaco fan boy