Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Whitesnake

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Quite a few otherwise respectable bands ruined themselves during the Hair Metal era...no help needed from Phil Collins.
    Phil's lack of hair kept him out of that scene - imagine the REAL carnage otherwise.

Quite a few otherwise respectable bands ruined themselves during the Hair Metal era...no help needed from Phil Collins. Others off the top of my head would include Kiss and Alice Cooper.
    Agreed- record sales notwithstanding the mid-late 80s were pretty dark days for these bands. 'Poison' is another Desmond Child special (co-written) and sounds like it.

Might be strange to those in the US but although Kiss had OK album sales from about Alive!, 'Crazy Crazy Nights' (a relative flop in their homeland) is probably their biggest hit single in the UK. It's not very good either IMHO. The only other song of theirs I hear as much as that is 'I Was Made For Lovin' You'.
    Last edited by JJ88; 05-24-2019 at 09:34 AM.

In the mid-80s me and my wife had an exchange student from Sweden. He and I bonded over our passion for Iron Maiden. But he would insist that Alice Cooper's "Poison" was a great song. I would just shake my head. Catchy chorus but it was factory glam. And of course it utterly pales compared to the stuff recorded with the old band in the early 70s.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Didn't he have a bodybuilder guitarist who played an axe that doubled as a flamethrower?
    Yup, Kane Roberts.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Kane Roberts. Saw Alice numerous times during the late 80s (he seemed to be permanently on tour when not making new albums) with KR. In many respects he was a stock 80s shredder with added horror shtick, but those shows really were great. I think Derek Sherinian might also have been in Alice's band for at least some of that period.
    Yes, Sherinian has been in and out of Cooper's band several times over the years including during this time period.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Seems like Shernian played with lots of people. If I recall correctly, he was in Billy Idol's band the time I saw him (though that was more like 2003).

I remember seeing a Coop show circa 87 on MTV. There was a bit where he whips out a sword and slashes his arm with it, and another bit where he does this mad scientist schtick, where he creates a robot that then chases him around the stage before he finally kicks it over, destroying it.

Then I remember another Coop concert I saw, a few years later, where he had this thing where he had this projection screen showing this film. He sings like the first 3/4's or whatever itwas of the song, and then during the guitar solo, they do this illusion where several people in the film appear to step out of the film and into reality, they grab Coop, apparently against his will, and they drag him "into the film", and there's all this action going on in the film with him fighting these guys or something, I forget the details, while the band keeps on playing.

And yes, I know how the illusion works. Coop, I believe, first started doing variations of it back in the 70's. I think I read that Walt Disney first came up with the idea back in the 40's. You hide behind the screen, and step through it at the strategically appropriate moment, or conversely, you step up to the screen and step through it if you're "stepping into" the film.

If I'm not mistaken, he also at one point had Kip Winger and Reb Beach in his band, who of course, later formed the band Winger (with Rod Morgenstein of Dixie Dregs/Steve Morse Band fame on drums). I remember seeing Reb and Kip on That Metal Show, and Reb told this story about how Coop's snake once took a dump on Reb's pedal board during a show.
    Kip Winger was a member of Cooper's 80's band along with Kayne Roberts and some of the other Winger guys.

The MTV show I think you are talking about was filmed in Detroit and was "The Nightmare Returns" tour. It was after Alice had kicked the booze for good, put together a killer band, went full on heavy metal, and went back to a total theatrical production. I saw it in Kalamazoo Michigan and it was a fantastic show. I was standing about 20 feet from the whole robot thing and I still don't know how he pulled that off when he kicked it over. That tour and the Waynes World movie put Cooper back on the map and led to his big comeback in the decade.

The in and out of the film gag was a different tour, but something he had been doing since back in the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Phil's lack of hair kept him out of that scene - imagine the REAL carnage otherwise.
    He could've worn a wig, like Blackmore currently does.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I tried to listen to the first Whitesnake album because of this thread. I gave up halfway through. Just did nothing for me. I'll try the next album. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I tried to listen to the first Whitesnake album because of this thread. I gave up halfway through. Just did nothing for me. I'll try the next album. We'll see.
    It's so funny, I went to look up things about Whitesnake because of this thread too, and there is an opinion on everything!

Whitesnake on the top 100 best rock bands list here: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/lanas...st_rock_bands/

and then Whitesnake on the 50 worst artists in history here: https://gooddeedseats.com/50-worst-a...music-history/ (some funny stuff in this one, like the top image)

I sort of remember them, the big hair and all, but never got into them much during their popularity. Not my cup of tea.
    Last edited by snowwomn; 06-12-2019 at 01:44 PM.

Whitesnake tunes are now ending up in TV commercials. Here I Go Again has been used for a while, but a couple of days ago, I saw one for some kind of drink using Is This Love.

Whitesnake tunes are now ending up in TV commercials. Here I Go Again has been used for a while, but a couple of days ago, I saw one for some kind of drink using Is This Love.
    Ha! That's right, I remember that one! Too funny how some things end up

Quote Originally Posted by snowwomn View Post
    It's so funny, I went to look up things about Whitesnake because of this thread too, and there is an opinion on everything!

Whitesnake on the top 100 best rock bands list here: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/lanas...st_rock_bands/

and then Whitesnake on the 50 worst artists in history here: https://gooddeedseats.com/50-worst-a...music-history/ (some funny stuff in this one, like the top image)

I sort of remember them, the big hair and all, but never got into them much during their popularity. Not my cup of tea.
    Well, if you "sort of remember" the "big hair and all", you have to realize that's really a different band than the one I was talking about int he OP. That's the late 80's era band, which was largely a different group from the late 70's-early 80's group.

But your comment about them being on both "best" and "worst' band lists reminds me of the lists VH-1 did in the 90's. One was the "Most Metal Moments" or something like that. The other was "Least metal moments", which was a list of all the more reputedly "embarrassing" things that various metal bands had done. As I recall the charity record Stars, by Hear N Aid (essentially, the heavy metal version of Do They Know It's Christmas or We Are The World) made both lists. For the "least metal" list, Ted Nugent was commented that he "kicked my own ass for doing that". Yeah, whatever.

So, after listening to all of what I think we agree are the classic albums, I then picked up the deluxe boxset of Slide it In, which I somehow didn't post about. This box includes, among other things, both the UK and US mixes of the album, plus demoes, a live gig, some videos, etc. To be honest, I haven't spent enough time with the material to note the differences between the US and UK versions. I know what happened was the UK version came out, then Colin Hodgkinson quit and Neil Murray came back, and John Sykes also replaced Mickey Moody. So when Coverdale struck a new North American deal with Geffen Records, and Jon Kalodner suggested they remix the record, David asked that Neil redo all the bass parts and Sykes redo some of the guitars. But like I said, I'm not sure which I prefer yet.

And then, today, the inevitable happened. File it under "Do I really need this?!" or "It's hell being a fanboy", but I finally reached the dreaded eponymous 1987 30th anniversary boxset release. Yeah, you can pretty much smell the hairspray fumes as it plays, but it's got it's moments. I happen to still like Still Of The Night, and I like the redo of Here I Go Again, as an alternative to the original version. This was the first time I listened to this record in probably 30 or so years (I borrowed it once from the library, many moons ago), but I thought it was ok. Not as stunning on the Marsden era records, but still not bad. And again, bonus discs include alternate versions of songs (including the "radio mix" of Here I Go Again), live stuff, demos, and the videos for the singles (eerie that Tawny should pass just a couple days after I ordered). Probably nothing too remarkable, but like I said, I'm stupid sometimes.

And ya know what? There's also a boxset for Slip Of The Tongue, too. Oh dear...

^^ While the 80s version of Here I Go Again had better lyrics, changing "hobo" to "drifter," the original version of Fool for Your Loving is much better than the '89 version.

The juvenile double entendres abound with these guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    The juvenile double entendres abound with these guys!
    Yeah, because writing lyrics inspired by a brief explanation of the Shastric Scriptures is really mature, huh?

I object! Whitesnake is in the category of AC/DC. No messing around with double entendre, they're all about single entendre.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Dave likes gettin' laid and he likes singin' about gettin' laid.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I object! Whitesnake is in the category of AC/DC. No messing around with double entendre, they're all about single entendre.
    Good point. They don't even bother.....

That said, I liked 'em OK until the hair spray became redolent!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    That said, I liked 'em OK until the hair spray became redolent!
    They were a good hard rock band before Dave glossed things over with the '87 album.

When you see Rudy freakin' Sarzo with frosted hair, it's time to find the door!

The eons are closing
    I always wondered if Aynsley ever did The Studebaker Hoch Dancing Lesson and Cosmic Prayer for Guidance at any of the '87 shows

[emoji2957]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Did Aynsley Dunbar play live with Whitesnake? There are some details of their history I don't have straight (I'm not too keen on their music but some great musicians pased through the band).

Still have a soft spot for Come and Get It. But lets not pretend its anything else than music for sexually desperate teenage boys.....

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Did Aynsley Dunbar play live with Whitesnake? There are some details of their history I don't have straight (I'm not too keen on their music but some great musicians pased through the band).
    Aynsley was let go (along with everyone else) after the '87 album was recorded and David assembled his touring band of Vandenberg, Campbell, Sarzo and Aldridge.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Dave likes gettin' laid and he likes singin' about gettin' laid.
    Either that or he's a lonely hard-done-by drifter. No half measures with Dave.