Page 61 of 116 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 2898

Thread: Recommend The Best Current Italian Prog

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Some news by DAAL: They will have two new CDs out in different styles

"Decalogue of Darkness" will be much (in my preferred) style of the "Dodecahedron" album
    and
    "Navels falling into a living Origami" in the their usual more electronic Prog style. A suite of rearranged and new stuff (50 min.)
    I got Dodecahedron and was blown away! I gotta get the others now... but you seem to indicate that they play different styles on different albums? What is "their usual more electronic Prog style" like?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I got Dodecahedron and was blown away! I gotta get the others now... but you seem to indicate that they play different styles on different albums? What is "their usual more electronic Prog style" like?
    Decide for yourself, but they sound like two totally different bands:

Decide for yourself, but they sound like two totally different bands
    yes, that is completely different... though kinda good in its own way
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    yes, that is completely different... though kinda good in its own way
    Yes, I like their "normal" style too. But "Dodecahedron" is waaaay better!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Listening to this on Apple Music, and it is great! Where can I find this on CD? None of the usual vendors I go with seem to be carrying it.
    I just ordered my copy from Greg Walker.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    He really needs to update his website!

Greg Walker! I forgot all about him...

I'm going to see if he has any more copies available.

Thanks!

If you don't mind, I'd be curious to know when it arrives. My last order from him shipped on June 4 and has not arrived yet (also in the Toronto area). Something is really wrong with international inbound mail to Canada at the moment, from the several different sources I've spoken with.

He really needs to update his website!
    I'll say! Welcome to 1994!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

New album by Laviāntica - The Experience, very nice instrumental melodic Prog.

New album by Imagin'Aria coming soon

La Nuova Raccomandata con Ricevuta di Ritorno entered the studio…

Banco del Mutuo Soccorso seem to be finishing their new album soon.
    (of course "soon" doesn't mean anything by Italians)
    Don't know if it is still called "Orlando"

First track of new album by Raven Sad (to be released in 2019)

those samples sound like it's right in my wheelhouse... will look into this

thanx!

New album by Laviāntica - The Experience, very nice instrumental melodic Prog.

Gan Eden-il Giardino delle Delizie with a new album "Goodbye"

Things to come:

Syndone - Mysoginia Sep. 15th

Il Castello di Atlante - SIAMO NOI I SIGNORI DELLE TERRE A NORD (Oct.)

Ad Maiora are working on a new album

London Underground (ex Standarte) - Four (Autumn)
    Last edited by TheH; 07-22-2018 at 11:59 AM.

La Coscienza di Zeno - Una Vita Migliore out in November

Kingcrow "The Persistence" Sep. 7th
    Last edited by TheH; 07-22-2018 at 01:41 PM.

This has become an epic thread, however, I fear it features not only "the best" current Italian prog, but also the worst with everything in between. So, if one was just interested in music that exemplifies what bands like:PFM/Banco/Area/DFA/Deus ex Machina/Etna/Goblin/Arti e Mestieri/Nova/Osanna/ offer. That is excellent musicians, that focus on strong instrumentation, progressive song structures, and decent singing, or no singing at all. Something tells me this thread could be much more concise in regards to the best new music from Italy. It is a fun thread, but not everything Italian is delicious �� How about a list maybe?

^ You're overlooking the subjective nature of "best." I don't have any reason to suspect it to be true, but it's possible that what you think is best, I think sucks, and vice versa. So, making a list is going to lead to a lot of different lists. The advantage of the current approach is that all relevant releases are posted, and usually with clip or link, so each person can make up their own mind.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ You're overlooking the subjective nature of "best." I don't have any reason to suspect it to be true, but it's possible that what you think is best, I think sucks, and vice versa. So, making a list is going to lead to a lot of different lists. The advantage of the current approach is that all relevant releases are posted, and usually with clip or link, so each person can make up their own mind.
    I agree with this approach as well.

Here ya go MJBrady. Later, I'll post a dozen of my personal top Modern Italian albums. I suspect H could post an incredible list.

Two lists from 2017. These are opinions like Moe, Curley, and 100423 point out and you may think they suck...Personally, I've listened to almost all the albums from both lists. I enjoyed most all of them. I found the top 10 from both lists sublime.

First Omphaloskepsis- Final fifteen favorite Italian albums of 2017. From my perspective, a deep year for Italian Prog. In addition to modern RPI, you'll find symphonic, jazz fusion, neo-ish, and stoner albums. Listened to every album at least four times. Ended up purchasing 13/15. Almost half are instrumental.

1. Barock Project- "Detachment" ( Keyboard wizard "Luca Zabbini" wields Baroque genius, catchy song craft, and finishes in a three way tie for my most listened to 2017 album along with Wobbler and BBT-Grimspound )

2. Panther & C- "Il Giusto Equilibrio" ( addictive velvet, bittersuite, luxurious Italian distant cousin of neo prog) RPI Collaborator Todd's top 2017 Italian album

3. Unreal City- "Frammenti Notturi" (Smidgeon more mellow the previous two albums, RPI juggernaut Unreal City doesn't disappoint ) Progrock.com MIW 2017 winner "Best Prog Album" and "Best Prog Song"

4.Astrolabio- "I Paralumi della Ragione" ( 21st century eccentric smirks and winks, stripped of fancy frills, fragile ivory keyboard frenzies, bottom dwelling bass stalks drum, swelling toes tap out Bonham beats "bare knuckle" brash raspy guitar creaks)

5. Accordo Dei Contrari - "Violato Intatto" ( Mesmerizing heavy-prog jazz fusion, garlicy antipasto, magnifico guitar caterwaul, screaming sax. Warning! Not your uncle Guido's pastoral Italian prog) ...Progarchive Collaborators #2 album of 2017

6. L'Albero Del Veleno- " Tale of a Dark Fate" ( Instrumental Italian horror in Goblin's vein)

7. Magnolia- "Con Fuoco" ( Social justice warrior Chiara Gironi's mezzo soprano dominates Magnolia's mid tempo aggressive "heart on sleeve" attack-against-the-machine, interspersed English and Italian PBS radio broadcasts propel the narrative)

8. Maxophone- "La fabbrica delle nuvole" ( fragrant spicy vocals, plenty of instrument separation, eclectic, delicate, and organic, drizzled with a sprinkling of madrigal harmonies, surprising follow up to a classic)

9. il Cerchio D'oro- "il Fuoco Sotto la Cenere" ( 3rd strong album in a row, intriguing icy harmonies immersed in merlot soaked acoustic and electric guitars, dramatic keys, traditional but with a twist )

10. Cantina Sociale - "Caosfera" (Mediterranean style, Area influenced jumbled cacophony of emotion)

11. Plurima Mundi - "Percorsi" ( silky violins, crystalline piano, avian opaline arias ricochet from classical to jazz into Sicilian chandeliers)

12. Taproban- "Per Aspera Ad Astera" ( swirling keys ala Banks/Kaye, Rickenbacker bass/guitar and drums retro RPI trio)

13. Quarto Vuoto - "Illusioni" (cinematic atmospheric keys, guitar, bass, and drums with heavy doses of jazz fusion, guest tenor sax and violin, Nicola D'Amico's eclectic drum style stands out )

14. The Rome Pro(g)ject- "Exegi Monvmentvm Aere Perennivs"- (Keyboardist composer Vincenzo Ricca leads Steve Hackett, David Cross, David Jackson (VDGG-Sax) and other Englishmen on an instrumental symphonic odyssey)

15. Muffx- "L'ora di Tutti" ( Black Widow Records delivers a mid tempo stoner instrumental, inspired by 500 year old Ottoman Empire invasion... conjuring magic lonely, dusty desert scenes .

Todd from Progarchives top 20 Italian releases from 2017....

1.Panther & C. - Il Giusto Equilibrio
    2.Plurima Mundi - Percorsi
    3.Cantina Sociale - Caosfera
    4.Quarto Vuoto - Illusioni
    5.Accordo Dei Contrari - Violato Intatto
    6.Astrolabio - I Paralumi Della Ragione
    7.Semiramis - Frazz Live
    8.Vuoti A Rendere - Supplicium (EP)
    9.Unreal City - Frammenti Notturni
    10. Il Cerchio d’Oro - Il Fuoco Sotto La Cenere
    11. Maxophone - La Fabbrica Delle Nuvole
    12. Andrea Orlando - La Vita Autentica
    13. Aqua Fragile - A New Chant
    14. Il Cerchio Medianico - s/t
    15.Isproject - The Archinauts
    16.Il Tempio Delle Clessidre - Il-ludere
    17.Phoenix Again - Unexplored.
    18.Taproban - Per Aspera Ad Astra
    19.Christadoro - s/t
    20. Cellar Noise - Alight
    Last edited by Crawford Glissadevil; 07-24-2018 at 08:34 AM.

OK MJBrady...In my opinion, a dozen outstanding Modern Italian albums...

Il Bacio della Medusa- Discesa Agl'inferni D'un Giovane Amante
    Egonon - Risveglio
    Logos- L' Enigma Della Vita
    Unreal City- La Crudelta Di Aprile

La Maschera di Cera- Il Grande Labirinto
    La Coscienza di Zeno - La Coscienza di Zeno
    Ingranaggi Della Valle- In Hoc Signo
    La Fabbrica Dell'Assolu- 1984 - L' Ultimo Uomo D'Europa

Gran Turismo Veloce - Di Carne, Di Anima
    Astrolabio- L'Isolamento Dei Numeri Pari
    Il Tempio Delle Clessidre- Il Tempio Delle Clessidre

Barock Project- Skyline ( Warning...Barock Project sing in English)

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    I suspect H could post an incredible list.
    I once posted a Top 100 here:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...+Italian+Bands

That list would look very different now if I had to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by MJBrady View Post
    I fear it features not only "the best" current Italian prog, but also the worst with everything in between.
    This thread started as "the best", but eventually turned into "current Italian prog" and I think it's the only way it could live that long.

Yeah, I totally agree Mogilevs. Yet, I understand MJBrady's complaint. I'd like to see local Italian Prog aficionados post the occasional best of current RPI lists along with a year end "cream of the crop" list.

So many different ways to enjoy Modern Italian Prog. Me? I own about 50 post 2000 albums and 75 Classic Italian Prog albums. And I audition around 25 new releases every year. I know one guy who buys several Italian Prog albums a month. Other people may only own 10 or less RPI albums. I'm sure "best of lists" helps those folk who wish to only dabble or delve.

well, speaking for myself, over the past 5 years these are the Italian albums that top my list:

Endless Season Endless Season 2016
    Mad Fellaz Mad Fellaz 2013
    Accordo Dei Contrari AdC 2014
    Accordo Dei Contrari Violato Intatto 2017
    Aliante Forme Libere 2017
    Arti + Mestieri Universi Paralleli 2015
    La Bocca della Veritā Avenoth 2016
    CosaRara CosaRara 2016
    Deus Ex Machina Devoto 2016
    Quarto Vuoto Illusioni 2016
    Dante Roberto The Circle 2017

2016 was a great year for the Italians IMO
    I would love reccos of bands/albums in the same realm as those above
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 07-25-2018 at 02:43 PM.