Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How Are You Post-Vax?

How Are You Post-Vax?

If I'm out if line posting this Cozy, feel free to delete it, though I'd appreciate it if you let it go a few days and then ax it.

I've been on the fence about getting this and this is the only place on the 'net that seems to be able to have a level conversation without a bunch of hyperbole. I don't mind the idea of this vax, if it's all they hope it will be. I have friends that have had it and and I have others that have not. The ones that did seem fine, but there's almost a push from them to "get it" and I have issues with doing something because someone else wants me to, rather than me feeling I need/want to do it for my own reasons. Especially something that isn't even officially 'approved'. This isn't a decision you make causally. I'll probably be OK, but who knows? And if I've been fine about avoiding something that has a 98% survival rate wouldn't I continue to? I take the proper precautions. I am no conspiracy thinker, at all. In fact I am very skeptical of those types of people. Though I take some comfort in noticing that they are consistently wrong about most everything they worry about.

So I'm curious to hear from those of you had the vax. When did you? How do you honestly feel now? Any....different? Know anyone that suffered adverse affects (or died) after the initial period of feeling "flu-ish" that is common passed?

Anyone that had Covid feel free to chime in with your thoughts too.
    Last edited by Sean; 06-16-2021 at 02:02 AM.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I was anxious to get it, but I wasn't having any luck getting an appointment using the state waiting list; they kept offering slots that were far away, but I found out about a Twitter bot that I could follow to send notifications about open appointments, and got it that way after a few weeks. I got the Moderna on 4/8 & 5/6. My arm got pretty sore both times the next day and after the 2nd shot it seemed like my mind was a bit foggy the day after. I probably should have taken that day off.

I think that you get vaccinated for two reasons, Sean - one, for your own wellbeing; but second - & more importantly in the case of this virus - to help protect the wellbeing of others. The virus is so transmissible, & most worryingly, asymptomatic transmission (especially with the Delta variant) is a major factor. Masks & social distancing help in reducing the conditions for transmission. But being vaccinated does even more.

So do it for yourself. But, even more importantly, do it for others.

As for how I feel - I've had two doses of AZ - after the first one, I had a fever during the night, but paracetamol + water curtailed that; the second dose wiped me out for 36 hours.

Now - to be honest - I don't "feel" much different...but I'm at the very cautious/concerned end of the spectrum of responses to the virus. I still mask up, I still socially distance, there's no way I'm going to sit inside a pub (unless it's deserted!), I'm in & out of shops as quickly as possible. But I now feel much safer meeting up with friends & especially family - & my partner feels safe meeting with her elderly parents.

(btw - there have been tiny numbers of deaths from blood clotting issues post-vaccination - maybe no more than single figures; your risk of suffering any serious adverse reaction (eg worse than a day or two of flu-like symptoms) is minimal; &, of course, off the scale compared to the risks of serious symptoms, or death, from the virus.)
    Last edited by per anporth; 06-16-2021 at 02:46 AM.

You absolutely should get vaccinated. It's a perfectly safe vaccine. Millions have had it. There are variants that
    are spreading. A new one was reported today. As was said, it will protect you and more importantly your loved ones.
    I had both doses and felt no side effects. I know people that had side effects, including my daughter and her boyfriend.
    A few days of discomfort is nothing. I have relatives that had Covid and it's no picnic! Luckily, they are ok. It can
    put you in the hospital or kill you. Still. You are at risk of illness or death. There is no doubt about it. With the vaccine, you
    will not go to the hospital or die nor transmit it to other people. Young people have died from it. There is no reason not
    to get it. Please do it.

Just to be clear, I'm not concerned about a day or two of discomfort after the shot. I expect that. I want to know how you all have felt in the weeks since you had yours. Physically, not mentally.

I have had two injections of AstraZeneca and I must say it has taken some of the stress out of my life. I wasn't walking around agonising about catching Covid, but over the last year it had been a constant background worry every time I went for groceries, filled up with petrol etc. By being vaccinated, a lot of that worry has diminished. I may still get Covid but I believe the vaccination will then minimise the impact (i.e., I won't die or be as sick as I would have been). Additionally, one of the top scientists warned here in the UK the other day that Covid will remain with us for the rest of our lives. Depressing, but probably true. So if anyone does not get vaccinated now it is not just a case of avoiding Covid over the next few months (until the spike has reduced still further), but avoiding it forever. We are in it for the long-term.

I am not a huge champion of vaccinations; I never get the annual flu jab that is offered here free. I was also worried about side-effects from the Covid jab. I had slight flu-like symptoms after the first jab but felt absolutely nothing after the second. I had the second dose about five weeks ago and have felt absolutely no side-effects from it since. All in all, I would recommend it as I think the benefits outweigh the risks.
    Last edited by Munster; 06-16-2021 at 04:18 AM.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Just to be clear, I'm not concerned about a day or two of discomfort after the shot. I expect that. I want to know how you all have felt in the weeks since you had yours. Physically, not mentally.
    Sorry for going off at a tangent, Sean!

I've felt absolutely fine post-vaccination. I know one person who suffered flu-like symptoms for around 5 days or so. And one other, who has suffered serious enough aftereffects, for a long enough time that she felt compelled to go to her GP. But she is now (after around a fortnight in total) more or less back to full health.

And if I may to speak to Munster'a point about taking flu vaccination - I believe the maximum efficacy of the flu vaccination in any given year is around 30%, falling to below 15% in bad years. By contrast, current Covid vaccines have higher than 80% efficacy after two doses, & in the cases of Moderna & Pfizer, up into the low/mid-90s. This is truly extraordinary, & a testament to the astonishing work of the scientists behind these vaccines.
    Last edited by per anporth; 06-16-2021 at 04:51 AM.

I have had the first shot may 4. - was a little dizzy for 2 days.
    But - may not have anything to do with it - been quite uneasy the last month, dunno why.
    Doctors says it has nothing to do with the vaccination, and bloodpressure etc. has been checked, so...

The 2. shot I had to cancel, because I wasnt fresh, and it most likely would have forced me to take a day off, and there is no replacement for me on my job.

I have tried to get in line for the second shot, but bureaucracy is in the way. Dunno when I can get it.
    I am not worried in any way, just irritated over my general uneasyness.

If I'm out if line posting this Cozy, feel free to delete it, though I'd appreciate it if you let it go a few days and then ax it.

I have friends that have had it and and I have others that have not. The ones that did seem fine, but there's almost a push from them to "get it" and I have issues with doing something because someone else wants me to, rather than me feeling I need/want to do it for my own reasons. Especially something that isn't even officially 'approved'. This isn't a decision you make causally. I'll probably be OK, but who knows? And if I've been fine about avoiding something that has a 98% survival rate wouldn't I continue to? I take the proper precautions.
    I am not trying to pick on you personally when I say this, but I think you said a lot worth commenting on in this portion of your original post.

You are worried about the effects of a vaccine that, so far, has been administered in just the U.S. alone over 300 million times with virtually zero major adverse effects. And you are using the COVID survival rate to rationalize your hesitancy. If you're okay with the risks of getting the virus, why not the vaccine?

Getting the vaccine will allow you to go back to being in public and play out again with more confidence. And, as stated earlier, you become part of the group effort to try to vanquish or at least severely mitigate the virus. As more and more people get vaccinated, the virus has less places to flourish.

And while you could go out anyway, not get sick, and use that to rationalize/justify your decision not to get the shot. Keep in mind that it's because of those who did get the shot that made it possible for you to go back out and not get sick.

This isn't a decision you make causally.
    FWIW, I have always had a strong contrarian streak in me, so I can relate to the questioning and hesitancy. I am not ashamed to say that I had feelings of fear on the day I got the first shot. It's natural.

And while you can blame politics and media for sewing doubt, what it really comes down to for many is "fear"; fear of the vaccine, fear of the unknown, and fear of losing control.

But I will state frankly that, in my opinion, there shouldn't be a decision/choice. This is a public health and economic issue. It's a global issue. It's a humanity issue. And I would even go as far as saying that those who get the shot for the greater good of their community and their country are patriots. That might sound dramatic, I know.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

It's been 8 weeks since my 2nd shot. I feel just fine. I had chills and a fever the night after my 2nd dose and felt run down the day after. Since then, no issues.

We even went to a wedding a few weeks ago. Most were vaxxed, virtually all were maskless. It was a surreal experience, I was very hesitant going in, and I still felt very cautious in terms of physical contact and hand sanitizing. But it felt therapeutic - even cathartic perhaps.

I'm glad you wanted physical only because mentally is another matter. I'm working from home every day and my next door neighbor decided getting a shitty ass blow up pool was a good idea for his kids. Serenity now!
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I was vaxxed in April, very mild 24-36 hour side-effects after the 2nd dose. Since then I've felt completely fine and have begun getting out, with more confidence each time. My entire circle of friends and family (with a small handful of exceptions) have also been vaccinated, with no problems of which I'm aware. I trusted the CDC for 15 months while they said to be cautious and stay in, so I have no trouble trusting them now when they say that fully-vaccinated people can begin the process of being together again. I think the common-sense habits of hand-washing and sanitizing that were emphasized since the beginning of 2020 will stick for me and many others, which is all to the good, IMO. I try to refrain from judgement when I hear of people who haven't chosen to be vaccinated, but when anyone asks me, I tell them that I think they should.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I was vaxxed in April, after the initial flu like reaction I have zero physical effects. Mentally it has made me more comfortable around other people though I still maintain social distancing as much as possible. It has given me more confidence in the possibility of returning to travel and concerts. While I have a healthy distrust of the government and Big Pharma I'm much more comfortable with using vaccine technology than just leaving it to nature.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I had a small amount of negative physical effects from the vaxx and a large amount of positive mental effect from HAVING and KNOWING that I had the vaxx.

It's also allowed me to start doing (strictly outdoor) social activities with a great amount of personal / mental comfort.

Well worth it. IMO.
    Last edited by Steve F.; 06-16-2021 at 08:24 AM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Exactly one month out from 2nd dose. Feel nothing, just fine. Just as has been the case with every vaccine I've received in my lifetime.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I had slight side effects. Fatigue and mild fever symptoms the night I was vaccinated was about it. It was breeze compared the second shingles vaccine I got a couple of years ago which knocked me out for several days.

The only time I now where a mask is if it's required in indoor public spaces. Most in my area now have a sign saying fully vaccinated people no longer need masks. I still social distance inside public spaces which seems still to be the rules, but I would do it anyway. I haven't been to any crowded spaces yet with hundreds or thousands of people. I'll be going to concerts later in the year and if masks aren't required I'm still not sure if I will wear one anyway. It's one thing being in a sparsely populated store, and another being packed in a theater with hundreds or thousands of people. Before the pandemic I was always washing and sanitizing my hands when coming out of public places so not much has changed in that regard.

I had zero issues with the vaccine after either shot (I had the Moderna) , besides the arm soreness which was similar to getting a tetanus shot .

I had no fever or flu like symptoms at all in the days and weeks after. Glad I got it done.

I got my second shot in March. Very few issues after a day or so of receiving the shot. Those issues were very minor, mild headache, lethargy.
    If this keeps me from getting really sick, I am all for it. Period.
    I'm not buying lottery tickets because I had few side effects, even though I would have better luck with the lottery than negative outcome from the vaccine.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

We will probably need many more shots as the virus mutates. Hopefully not several times a year.

The (Indian) Delta version coming to Denmark now, is different from previous 'releases'.
    Different symtoms and responding differently to vaccines.

I have had both shots of Pfizer...no negative reactions for me or my wife. Being 80+, vaccinations have been a part of my life and never really understood the negativity surrounding them. When the Covid 19 pandemic first appeared, the first thing that came to mind was that we needed a vaccine to combat this scourge of this virus, in fact, we discussed this topic here on PE. I do not recall at that time, hearing any derogatory comments regarding vaccines. For my part, it's a no brainer, regardless of your personal position on vaccinations and the severity of the virus, it just makes sense.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

As you may or may not know I worked in drug manufacturing at the Pfizer plant where the vaccine is made up until my retirement at the end of the year. As you might expect I am totally pro-vaccine. The science behind the development is solid and Pfizer sunk millions of dollars into the manufacturing plant on a roll of the dice back when COVID broke out and I can assure you that the manufacturing of the vaccine is solid and there are no micro-chips in them

My wife and I both received the Pfizer vaccines back in the spring. Other than a bit of soreness in the arm, neither of us had any reaction at all.
    Last edited by SteveSly; 06-16-2021 at 10:49 AM.

I had my second shot of Moderna three weeks ago. It turned me into a newt, but I got better.

Seriously, zero side effects apart from my arm being a little sore for a couple of days after the second shot. Right now? I feel great. Frankly, I think that unless one has reason to believe that their immune system is so compromised that they are actually at risk of a reaction to the vaccine, it is selfish and irresponsible not to get it.

Besides, how else is Bill Gates going to know where you are?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post

Besides, how else is Bill Gates going to know where you are?
    That phone in your pocket
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Sean, I understand where you're coming from. Even though I had already made the decision months ago to get the vaccine once it was available to folks in my age bracket, I still felt a little bit anxious the day of getting it.

I got my 2nd dose (Pfizer) at the end of April, and for about a day or two I felt a bit run down although I never actually had a fever. But in the ~6 weeks since then, I haven't felt physically any different than before or experienced any adverse effects.

There are several people I know (one of whom is just a couple years younger than me) who had flu-like symptoms for about a day or so, and then were good. My grandparents got it but never had any side effects from it. If it's any comfort, no one I know has had any serious adverse effects from getting the vaccine -- nothing worse than feeling flu-ish for a couple of days. Thankfully.

I feel great. Didn't really have the typical post-shot response, apparently, but I did feel a little fatigued after my 2nd shot (Pfizer, AKA the SteveSlyShot), but at my age, it's hard to tell if that was actually due to the shot or just being old. But ever since then, I feel fine.

It's nice going out to dinner again and socializing with people without any fear of developing a serious illness. However, I still wear a mask when I go to a store, etc., as it never really bother me much in the first place, and you can never be too safe. If wearing a mask is what it takes to prevent the spread of disease, I'd be thrilled if it just became the norm.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Most people in Ontario have not yet had a second dose. I had my first dose of Moderna about two months ago and am scheduled for a follow-up in 6 weeks. I'm very pro-vax and can't wait to get the second shot so things can get back to normal. No side effects from the first shot.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)