Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Prince & The Revolution

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I don't mind "sexy" songs. That's something that can be playing with your making love to a woman.
    I dunno, I'm not sure I'd play something Erotic City in front of a woman, certainly not one I'm trying to seduce.

As great as Purple Rain is, I prefer Dirty Mind and Around The World In A Day.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I dunno, I'm not sure I'd play something Erotic City in front of a woman, certainly not one I'm trying to seduce.
    have you seen the lyrics to the song? its a song about a club in minneapolis area called Erotic City. but again most of his songs are all double entendre type stuff. when they say "we can fuck until the dawn" its actually "we can funk until the dawn".

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/p/prince/..._20111163.html. erotic city lyrics with double entendre lyrics funk and fuck. lol

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    have you seen the lyrics to the song? its a song about a club in minneapolis area called Erotic City. but again most of his songs are all double entendre type stuff. when they say "we can fuck until the dawn" its actually "we can funk until the dawn".
    Allegedly, that's what they're singing. I don't think I've ever heard a definitive answer on what it is. On the Sheila E. Unsung show, one of the interviewees was a DJ who said he really wished that it was "funk until the dawn" because he wanted to play that song on the air.

And certainly, Erotic City isn't the only song of it's kind in Prince's catalog. Some of them are more blatantly "naughty" than others, but it can be a bit of a minefield for those sensitive to such things. On the other hand, I still can't believe Tipper Gore got upset over the line "masturbating with a magazine". I guess I can see the point that you want to shield your younger kids from such things, but uh, that's the job of the parent to monitor such things, not the job of the Brain Police to tell you about.

One of the best"THEATRICAL" concerts I ever saw, Prince in the round at The Nassau coliseum in 1988...W/ Sheila E on drums/percussion too...

Banned
    Allegedly, that's what they're singing. I don't think I've ever heard a definitive answer on what it is. On the Sheila E. Unsung show, one of the interviewees was a DJ who said he really wished that it was "funk until the dawn" because he wanted to play that song on the air.

And certainly, Erotic City isn't the only song of it's kind in Prince's catalog. Some of them are more blatantly "naughty" than others, but it can be a bit of a minefield for those sensitive to such things. On the other hand, I still can't believe Tipper Gore got upset over the line "masturbating with a magazine". I guess I can see the point that you want to shield your younger kids from such things, but uh, that's the job of the parent to monitor such things, not the job of the Brain Police to tell you about.
    I just find the whole PMRC thing a joke. I mean, c'mon!! What was Tipper so busy doing that she couldn't monitor her daughter's music purchases? How many parents in the '80s would let their kids(read 12 and under) listen to Prince? Would kids even understand what he's singing? Btw, I just remembered something. I blame PE for me selling my old copy of Purple Rain. When I started a Prince thread on the old board, people just said that he sucked and he wasn't prog.
    Last edited by JIF; 04-16-2013 at 06:32 AM.

Banned
    And probably Caucasian, too, I imagine.

Interesting that you'd phrase it in that fashion. I still think it's hilarious that, back in the 80's (maybe even today), metal and hard rock fans tended to look down on the pop music of the day, let's say the likes of Culture Club or The Cure, as "faggot music". Yet, they had no problem worshiping Judas Priest, whose lead singer we eventually found was not only gay but had cultivated an image (and by extension, the entire look of heavy metal during the 80's) derived from gay leather bars.

And that doesn't even take into account the whole androgynous image of the glam metal bands.
    I love The Cure, and don't think they're queer at all. I mean The New York Dolls and Poison also wore makeup.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Your "friends" also probably couldn't tell that he could compose (a lot), choreograph, sing, play a mean guitar, keys and drums AND entertain huge audiences who were black, white, gay AND straight.... or because he is a brilliant business man, he was also pretty successful at it.
    It's funny how people make fun of the things they can't understand.
    Come to think of it, these people weren't my friends after all(they made fun of me a lot).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    that "dirty mind" is the best one of this period.
    Glad you agree. I got that for $5(used) at FYE today.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    As great as Purple Rain is, I prefer Dirty Mind and Around The World In A Day.
    Score another for Dirty Mind.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It's ok, dudes. I'm not gay. I listen to stuff like Manowar and Poison!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    You understand that the second statement doesn't actually contradict the first. In fact, I'm more inclined to believe that if you're listening to Manowar on a regular basis, or more likely to be a severely closeted homosexual. I mean, those guys are trying waaaaaaay too hard to prove their masculinity. And to this day, I'm still not sure if they're in on the joke or not.

Listening to Prince doesn't make you gay!

Well, unless it somehow infuses you with a desire to have sex with other men, then I guess it pretty much does.

Banned
    You understand that the second statement doesn't actually contradict the first. In fact, I'm more inclined to believe that if you're listening to Manowar on a regular basis, or more likely to be a severely closeted homosexual. I mean, those guys are trying waaaaaaay too hard to prove their masculinity. And to this day, I'm still not sure if they're in on the joke or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post

Well, unless it somehow infuses you with a desire to have sex with other men, then I guess it pretty much does.
    What!!? this thread has taken a wrong turn.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post

Listening to Prince won't make you gay. But if you're one of those types who hangs out in gay clubs, you're likely to hear Prince quite often (or at least I would assume, a lot of his 80's hits strike me as the kind of things that still get dance floor airtime). I'm not sure if that's like one of those Jeff Foxworthy things or not...ya know, "You might be gay if you hang out at a place where the DJ still plays 1999, Let's Go Crazy and Raspberry Beret"

(and somewhere, there's a joke hinging on David Bowie's DJ hiding, but I'm not sure where it is)

What!!? this thread has taken a wrong turn.
    The wrong turn was not when we started discussing whether listening to Prince makes you gay, but when we agreed to participate in this ridiculous forum.

Banned
    Dug out Purple Rain tonight. Damn, didn't realize until now how long the title track is.

Dug out Purple Rain tonight. Damn, didn't realize until now how long the title track is.
    The actual performance that track is derived from is even longer. The intro goes on a bit longer, and there was an additional verse that Prince decided to cut from the song. When they played it on the Purple Rain tour, it was even longer, the version on the old Prince And The Revolution Live VHS release is nearly 17 minutes long, with a long intro, two guitar solos before the vocals, then a loooooong guitar solo on the ride out.

For what it's worth, I recall in an interview with Dan Neer who interviewed Phil Collins back in 1985 for the "Collins on Collins" Interview Vinyl- that Phil got the drum beat inspiration for "Sussudio" from Prince's "1999". He sampled the drums from the song in the Linn Drum Machine and went from there.
    Bryan B.
    Host, "The Aisle of Plenty"
    The Best in Progressive Rock from the past 40 years
    Saturdays, 6AM-8AM Eastern
    classxradio.com

Encore Broadcasts
    Fridays 4PM-6PM Eastern, DeliciousAgony.com
    Saturdays 8PM-10PM Eastern, CrossStreetRadio.com

You understand that the second statement doesn't actually contradict the first.
    Yeah, that was the idea.

I was reading some kind of recent-ish interview with Thomas Dolby where he says he's disappointed that Prince and David Bowie sort of abandoned their more melodic songwriting and relied too much on rhythm. Kind of a strange statement since he hardly released ANY music for so long. But he felt musicians/songwriters who were capable of writing strong melodies were sort of beholden to do so, because it's a rare talent.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndsout View Post
    For what it's worth, I recall in an interview with Dan Neer who interviewed Phil Collins back in 1985 for the "Collins on Collins" Interview Vinyl- that Phil got the drum beat inspiration for "Sussudio" from Prince's "1999".
    So what you're saying is Prince ruined Genesis?

So what you're saying is Prince ruined Genesis?
    No- I think it is the other way around. Prince ruined Phil Collins.
    Bryan B.
    classxradio.com

Encore Broadcasts

I don't like any Prince songs that I've heard, which include "Purple Rain," "When Doves Cry", '1999' 'Little Red Corvette' and 'Rasberry Beret'. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I don't like any Prince songs that I've heard, which include "Purple Rain," "When Doves Cry", '1999' 'Little Red Corvette' and 'Rasberry Beret'. Am I missing something?
    What about "Let's Go Crazy"... that's always a good tune...
    Bryan B.
    classxradio.com

Encore Broadcasts

I love "Let's Go Crazy" by The Clash. not sure I've heard Prince's.... well, I just heard a live version on YT. it's okay. I wouldn't buy it.
    Last edited by davis; 01-10-2014 at 02:20 PM.