Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: The Wall... filler?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What is the Hey You footage that was left off the original film? I saw the film in US theaters twice when it was first released, and bought the US VHS release as soon as it was out. Is there Hey You footage I haven't seen?

I haven't seen the film in ages but have been wanting to buy a copy, so is there one out there that's more complete? Or no longer?
    The "Hey You" scene is on the DVD as an extra. If I recall, it's mostly just Bob Geldof running his hands along a huge wall for most of the song. So apart from the song, you didn't miss much.

The best part is Roger's commentary during this scene. He's actually quite funny in MST-ing the bit. You see Geldof feeling the wall in amazement, and Roger says, "Those Egyptians were bloody clever, weren't they?"
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    The "Hey You" scene is on the DVD as an extra. If I recall, it's mostly just Bob Geldof running his hands along a huge wall for most of the song. So apart from the song, you didn't miss much.

The best part is Roger's commentary during this scene. He's actually quite funny in MST-ing the bit. You see Geldof feeling the wall in amazement, and Roger says, "Those Egyptians were bloody clever, weren't they?"
    I feel like I remember this scene in the US theatrical release. Am I very wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    What is the Hey You footage that was left off the original film? I saw the film in US theaters twice when it was first released, and bought the US VHS release as soon as it was out. Is there Hey You footage I haven't seen?

I haven't seen the film in ages but have been wanting to buy a copy, so is there one out there that's more complete? Or no longer?

I feel like I remember this scene in the US theatrical release. Am I very wrong?
    Yes, the Hey You was added as a bonus ion the DVD, but still not a part of the integral movie.
    But it was filmed at the same time as the rest of the movie, but the movie was released in the theatre without it, as Parker & Waters thought it slowed the film down and other length reasons.
    It doesn't add much to the movie, though, as it fits visually right in the whole thing, but the song's absence was very noticeable. I'd always WTF'd about why they left my favourite track out the movie back then.

I don't remember Waters commenting over the Hey You film, though (I'll check this out this w-e, though >> coz it's been years since I last viewed it.)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I can happily skip the entire album and have for years. Sorry, just not my thing.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Most of it should have been left off, IMO. One of Pink Floyd's weaker albums.

The version of The Wall that I use is:

1. In The Flesh?
    2. The Thin Ice
    3. Another Brick In The Wall Part 1
    4. The Happiest Days Of Our Lives
    5. Another Brick In The Wall Part 2
    6. Mother
    7. Goodbye Blue Sky
    8. Young Lust
    9. Hey You
    10. Comfortably Numb
    11. Run Like Hell
    This is nice. I'll give it a shot as a playlist. As I said when this thread began I haven't been able to sit through the whole Wall album in about a quarter-century. But the record has strengths and these are them. Some have been grossly overplayed but that's what it is. Wouldn't want to leave them off for that reason alone.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    This is nice. I'll give it a shot as a playlist. As I said when this thread began I haven't been able to sit through the whole Wall album in about a quarter-century. But the record has strengths and these are them. Some have been grossly overplayed but that's what it is. Wouldn't want to leave them off for that reason alone.
    I believe I made my edit list on page 1... (that was MT's original question)

And I have never been able to sit through the whole of The Lamb in one session, neither for TFTO, but I was able at one point to do it for The Wall...

But if I never hear Brick2 and Numb again in my life, it's fine for me.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Count me in among those who wouldn't cut a thing, but on the other hand, I haven't listened to the entire album in decades.

Between WYWH, Animals and The Wall there is enough material for one solid pop album with great tunes and great lyrics

Wish You Were Here
    Have a Cigar
    Pigs on the Wing part 1
    Pigs (Three Different Ones)
    Another Brick in the Wall part 2
    Mother
    Goodbye Blue Sky
    Young Lust
    Hey You
    Nobody Home
    Comfortably Numb
    The Show Must Go On
    Run Like Hell

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    And I have never been able to sit through the whole of The Lamb in one session.
    I am not joking when I say Lamb is my least favourite Genesis album. I didn't get it at all. I did try but it never worked for me.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndiSexgang View Post
    I am not joking when I say Lamb is my least favourite Genesis album. I didn't get it at all. I did try but it never worked for me.
    I'm not joking to say The Lamb is my favourite Genesis album.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'm not joking to say The Lamb is my favourite Genesis album.
    My biggest problem with early Genesis is that I don't like Gabriel's voice or lyrics. My top 3 albums are 1. Trick 2. W &W 3. Duke

Banned
    I agree that the album could be more concise, but leaving out Vera? No way! Besides being a very short song, It’s a touching and beautiful homage to Vera Lynn who was THE romantic voice of the war and the WW2 generation of British and others. Many a tear was shed to “We’ll Meet Again” over the last 75 years! It is essential to the entire pathos of The Wall IMHO. The Wall has touched millions, but that might be somewhat dependent on an understanding of history and a cultural milieu that is fading fast.

There's a great 45 minute album peppered throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I agree that the album could be more concise, but leaving out Vera? No way! Besides being a very short song, It’s a touching and beautiful homage to Vera Lynn who was THE romantic voice of the war and the WW2 generation of British and others. Many a tear was shed to “We’ll Meet Again” over the last 75 years! It is essential to the entire pathos of The Wall IMHO. The Wall has touched millions, but that might be somewhat dependent on an understanding of history and a cultural milieu that is fading fast.
    Dammit, is all this rationality really necessary?!

It's interesting that you suggest that a dislike for Vera might hinge on a lack of knowledge on the history and culture of WWII. The first line of the song is "Does anyone here remember Vera Lynn", which suggests that even then, in 1979, Roger felt like she had already been forgotten by those who were too young to remember the war. That might have been why he threw that allusion in , he was hoping fans would say "Who is Vera Lynn", and maybe go back and listen to some of her music.

I think in the context of the album, the allusion is a bit oblique, because it's immediately obvious what's happening there, plot wise. I think it's more obvious in the movie, because that's the scene where young Pink is looking for his father at the train station. So maybe the idea is that he hears We'll Meet Again on the radio or whatever and it reminds him of that event. Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by AndiSexgang View Post
    It's my least Gabe album (tied with FGTR, which I actually like), but side 4 AFAIAC after Slipperman is all filler and I'd toss away half of the tracks on side 3 as well (Lilith, Sorrow & Anaesthetist)

Both Wall & Lamb need editing, but I'd really have a hard time making them a single-disc (vinyl, of course) affair

I fully understand why Vera and Bring the Boys are on the concept (though they belong to the father figure, which is a side-issue), and you're kind of right: their length altogether is roughly 2:30, therefore if that's the only thing you're going to edit out of the album, it's not worth it. I mean, it won't make a noticeable difference time/length-wise.... But both tracks are sonically too different from the rest of the album as well, sooooooo in case of the strong edit they'd be the first thing to go, but hardly the only one.

Vera Lynn was at #3 in the UK album charts recently...at the age of 100!

I must admit I don't really understand the desire to cut up and condense an album that was conceived as a coherent whole, complete with story arc. To paraphrase Macca talking about the White Album...it's The bloody Wall. Shut up!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I liked the Wall because I got it. The movie brought the context more in focus. The Lamb's story, whatever it is, still eludes me. There's some great material on The Lamb but it's no fun for me to try and form some story out of it. It wasn't until I put the album aside for a few years and took it for a few spins out of the context of a concept album did I develop an appreciation for some of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I liked the Wall because I got it. The movie brought the context more in focus. The Lamb's story, whatever it is, still eludes me. There's some great material on The Lamb but it's no fun for me to try and form some story out of it. It wasn't until I put the album aside for a few years and took it for a few spins out of the context of a concept album did I develop an appreciation for some of it.
    Real fan of the music on the Lamb but I can’t get into the story at all. After all these years can’t figure it out. That’s the difference between The Wall and The Lamb for me. And that’s what makes the story related songs on the Wall essential listening. imho

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Dammit, is all this rationality really necessary?!

It's interesting that you suggest that a dislike for Vera might hinge on a lack of knowledge on the history and culture of WWII. The first line of the song is "Does anyone here remember Vera Lynn", which suggests that even then, in 1979, Roger felt like she had already been forgotten by those who were too young to remember the war. That might have been why he threw that allusion in , he was hoping fans would say "Who is Vera Lynn", and maybe go back and listen to some of her music.

I think in the context of the album, the allusion is a bit oblique, because it's immediately obvious what's happening there, plot wise. I think it's more obvious in the movie, because that's the scene where young Pink is looking for his father at the train station. So maybe the idea is that he hears We'll Meet Again on the radio or whatever and it reminds him of that event. Or something.
    Good points. I think you must be right regarding Roger's intention. As you will know, I was referring only to the WWII aspect of the story which is much clearer in the film and put's that material into context. Things like "We don't need no education!" are timelness and stand on their own (for better or worse). It somewhat surprises me that those whom I have great respect for don't like the album at all - if nothing else there is some absolutely superb production and sound and can really show off a high-end system ...and how can you not like that Comfortably Numb guitar solo from Gilmore for example? Every note and bend contributes to an emotive and beautiful whole IMO, but I guess it has been so overplayed that it now sounds rather clichéd.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    I must admit I don't really understand the desire to cut up and condense an album that was conceived as a coherent whole, complete with story arc. To paraphrase Macca talking about the White Album...it's The bloody Wall. Shut up!
    Because sometimes you want to hear favorite songs on a double album, not the entire 81 minutes.

a touching and beautiful homage to Vera Lynn who was THE romantic voice of the war and the WW2 generation of British and others. Many a tear was shed to “We’ll Meet Again” over the last 75 years!

and RUSH used this as their walk-off house music during the 1977-1978 tours, which had a lot of UK focus
    2trevorsforlife

Because the story sucks, as do at least half of the songs. I don't care what it was "intended" for, I care about how good it is.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

Because some of it is shite?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Because the story sucks, as do at least half of the songs. I don't care what it was "intended" for, I care about how good it is.
    Basically.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Which is why you have the choice to not listen to it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"