Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone here go to Woodstock 69?

^^ While experimenting in the mid 80s, I tried feeding one preamp tube into another, thinking it would produce a raucous overdriven tone. Instead, I built a radio.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    A very common occurrence when you run a germanium fuzz pedal into a tube amp then turn the guitar's volume knob down - it seems like you get the best AM radio reception ever.
    I'm not sure if the Danelectro French Toast uses germanium transistors or not, but adding the Colorsound wah wah seemed to help boost reception. Actually, I think what I was getting was TV signals, now I think about it. I seem to recall there was some weird interaction with my lava lamp too, but I think might have been just buzzing sounds (which were fun to run through the wah wah and looping the results).

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ While experimenting in the mid 80s, I tried feeding one preamp tube into another, thinking it would produce a raucous overdriven tone. Instead, I built a radio.
    And conversely, David Wills of Negativland, built the Booper (a random tone generator featured prominently in their work) out of a transistor radio. The version of the story I remember hearing hinged on him doing it when he was a teenager, just adding resistors and capacitors in random places to the circuit to see what they did. I guess that qualifies as circuit bending, doesn't it? Anyway, I remember Wills claiming he didn't think he'd able to replicate the results if he tried, though I know the group actually has several different Boopers they use at different times, so maybe they got something close to the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    the only version worth owning - and maybe the only legit one, though they (CBS) waited almost 30 years to release it

Of course I paid full price at release time, but nowadays, it should be cheap
    I think that Fillmore 68 Santana is a different recording than the cheapo "Fried Neckbones" one that you see in $5 CD bins.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I think that Fillmore 68 Santana is a different recording than the cheapo "Fried Neckbones" one that you see in $5 CD bins.
    Mine is a double CD.. not sure if that's the same one you are talking about

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Right. Looking at Santanamigos (a setlist/date fan site) it states Santana signed with Columbia in October 1968 to start in December, the month they recorded those Fillmore shows Sony released in the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    re: RF interference during live performance

I was trying to remember one band that played one of the other years I went, I think it was Arti E Misteri, who was having similar problems with I think either the violinist's amp or the Mellotron or something like that. Isn't there like a radio tower or something like that relatively close to Storybook Farm?
    There are 3 towers very close to Storybook (basically across the road). One that I remember was when After The Fall played in either 97 or 98. They were doing a quiet acoustic thing and the radio kept bleeding in. It was obviously annoying to them, but being the cool guys that they are, they just kind of took in stride and made a joke out it.

The Fillmore one is a 2-cd yes, and was first released by Columbia in the 90s. But the material doing the rounds on budget labels was some kind of studio demo recording, I think. Ah, here we go- 'The San Mateo Sessions'.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ssions.108304/

Other Woodstock artists have similar issues with pre-fame material endlessly recycled on cheap labels- Hendrix, Johnny Winter, Canned Heat etc.
    Last edited by JJ88; 08-20-2019 at 02:55 AM.

there were litteraly shitloads of those awful unlegit releases... Never bought any of them (out of respect for Carlos, but Jimi and Johnny W as well), but since my library had a couple on their catalogue, I borrowed them, and some of them were OK (but it was always the same stuff, some live, some not), but I waited until there was finally a legit issue (CBS) to own that stuff

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The Fillmore one is a 2-cd yes, and was first released by Columbia in the 90s. But the material doing the rounds on budget labels was some kind of studio demo recording, I think. Ah, here we go- 'The San Mateo Sessions'.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ssions.108304/

Other Woodstock artists have similar issues with pre-fame material endlessly recycled on cheap labels- Hendrix, Johnny Winter, Canned Heat etc.
    Yup, some of those cheapo releases were studio stuff, others were live.

Always refused to listen to pre-AYE JHE because it sounded like such a scam. I know I probably miss something on some of those illegit releases

as for JW, the only one I trusted prior to his forst CBS releases was the Progressive Blues Experiment (which turned out to be legit).... and it turned out to be one of his best album, but the used-record shop owner I frequented told me it was the only one worth it.

I don't remember the same phenomenum with Canned Heat, though.

Right. Looking at Santanamigos (a setlist/date fan site) it states Santana signed with Columbia in October 1968 to start in December, the month they recorded those Fillmore shows Sony released in the 90's.
    In that case, one has to wonder as to why they waited so long to do so
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The Johnny Winter cheapo stuff was from the mid 60s for some small label. Actually this release has those and the Canned Heat things I mentioned.

https://www.discogs.com/Canned-Heat-...master/1245985

You used to see these recordings in 'tin' packages, budget labels from the EU put them out and they ended up in 'bargain' stores over here, like this.

https://www.discogs.com/label/131076-Dog-N-Roll

As for Hendrix...yeah, I haven't bothered with the pre-Experience minefield either. Actually the 2nd half of that great Royal Albert Hall 1969 show used to get repackaged a lot too.
    Last edited by JJ88; 08-20-2019 at 05:05 AM.

There was also a couple Grateful Dead records that came out in the 70's, I think one was called Historic Dead, the other Vintage Dead, which were recorded in 1966, before they had their deal with Warner Brothers. I'm not sure they've ever been reissued, though.

On a related note, you also have that first Genesis album, which has been reissued so many times, with different titles and covers, it's not even funny. There was one record store near me that was guaranteed to have about four or five different versions of that record in their Genesis bin at any given time. My favorite was one that had an out of focus of the 1977 lineup band onstage on the cover! And there was at least one other one that had pictures of both Hackett and Collins on the cover!

Always refused to listen to pre-AYE JHE because it sounded like such a scam. I know I probably miss something on some of those illegit releases
    Assuming that AYE=Are You Experienced? and JHE=Jimi Hendrix Experience, I don't think what you're describing even exists, apart from the singles that immediately preceded Are You Experienced (e.g. Purple Haze, Hey Joe, etc). The pre Experience stuff that you hear about with Hendrix is mostly stuff where he's backing other musicians. He did a long apprenticeship on the chitlin' circuit, backing the likes of Little Richard, The Isley Brothers, and a bunch of others, before he finally met Chas Chandler, who got the ball rolling for Jimi.

I remember there was one that had him backing Little Richard, and another backing I think it was Curtis Knight. The cover of the latter featured a big picture of Jimi onstage, with his name in big letters, as if to suggest it was Hendrix led thing, which it wasn't. Wikipedia says After Hendrix became famous, Knight and [producer Ed Chalpin] issued hundreds of albums of the recordings with Hendrix, resulting in years of legal action by both sides.". So if I only saw one of them, I guess that makes me lucky.

And if I'm not mistaken, you certainly don't hear the iconoclastic guitar playing that one normally associates with Jimi's name on such releases, as these were all straight R&B groups that Jimi was working with, before he formed Jimmy James And The Blue Flames (the band that he was playing when Chandler discovered him).

The one that always drove me crazy on that front was Hawkwind. Apparently, over the years, Dave Brock somehow lost control of various recordings that spanned the 70's and 80's, and those ended up on these quasi-legit-but-not-really releases like Bring Me The Head Of Yuri Gagarin, and the Anthology/Acid Daze compilations and so forth. I've got a book that lists all the various compilations that existed at least up to the early 90's, and it's ridiculous how much is out there. Brock must be the poster boy for "I signed a bad contract". Blues musicians are laughing at Dave Brock from beyond the grave!

As for Hendrix...yeah, I haven't bothered with the pre-Experience minefield either. Actually the 2nd half of that great Royal Albert Hall 1969 show used to get repackaged a lot too.
    The RAH stuff is owned by the film company, so, yes, they repackaged it a number of times. Hopefully, some day, the estate will sort out the copyright issues and to a proper release, as it's one of Jimi's best performances.

The pre Experience stuff that you hear about with Hendrix is mostly stuff where he's backing other musicians. ... And if I'm not mistaken, you certainly don't hear the iconoclastic guitar playing that one normally associates with Jimi's name on such releases
    There are definitely a few gems where Jimi got his chance to front the band and let loose. And his iconoclastic playing is definitely there. But, it's only a few songs, at best.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    There are definitely a few gems where Jimi got his chance to front the band and let loose. And his iconoclastic playing is definitely there. But, it's only a few songs, at best.
    Hmm, I wonder what that would be. Is it stuff from the Jimmy James And The Blue Flames era, or earlier?

Hmm, I wonder what that would be. Is it stuff from the Jimmy James And The Blue Flames era, or earlier?
    It's from the Curtis Knight years. I've never seen any recording form Jimmy James and the Blue Flames, even though Curtis introduces Jimi as Jimmy James on this first one.

Jimi Hendrix with Curtis Knight and the Squires live at George's Club 20 in Hackensack, New Jersey. Sometime between Oct. 1965 and May 1966.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

It's from the Curtis Knight years. I've never seen any recording form Jimmy James and the Blue Flames, even though Curtis introduces Jimi as Jimmy James on this first one.
    I would love some stuff from the Club Wha? months (summer 1966), Jimmy James and the Blue Flames with Randy California on guitar, to surface.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I think Fogerty knew shit all about the problems of the stage and the Dead's heavy rig: the whole stage was risking crumbling with the Dead's equipment) and sinking into the mud. Not to mention the electricity and humidity factors.

The Dead were held off stage to repair stage stuff by the organizers and technical staff, and finally let on stage around midnight. Now that the deaqd drop a few hits while waiting to go on is something different.

Furthermore, if there were a few acts that had nothing to do with the hippie zeitgeist, CCR, The Who, Sha Na Na and even Ten Years After (Alvin was reported - a bit surprisingly, maybe - to not liking the hippies and onkly plastered the peace sticker on his E355 to give change) were the main accused.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    In that case, one has to wonder as to why they waited so long to do so
    From what I've heard of the Santana Fillmore 68, that lineup wasn't good enough to make the first album. They needed Shrieve and Chepito, and more concise songs.

Jimi Hendrix with Curtis Knight and the Squires live at George's Club 20 in Hackensack, New Jersey. Sometime between Oct. 1965 and May 1966.
    Well, if that’s really from that early - esp if it’s 65 - it’s impressive; it sounds like him. Not fully fully ‘experienced’, but shockingly close.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

The one that always drove me crazy on that front was Hawkwind. Apparently, over the years, Dave Brock somehow lost control of various recordings that spanned the 70's and 80's, and those ended up on these quasi-legit-but-not-really releases like Bring Me The Head Of Yuri Gagarin, and the Anthology/Acid Daze compilations and so forth. I've got a book that lists all the various compilations that existed at least up to the early 90's, and it's ridiculous how much is out there. Brock must be the poster boy for "I signed a bad contract". Blues musicians are laughing at Dave Brock from beyond the grave!
    One time in the late 80's Sparks had something go wrong on the business end with one of their albums and it ended up repackaged multiple times with art showing the 70's Kimono lineup and claiming to be a best-of.

Another one of those cheap albums I owned was the Chicago live set from Toronto 1969, a good performance, although not a very good recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I would love some stuff from the Club Wha? months (summer 1966), Jimmy James and the Blue Flames with Randy California on guitar, to surface.
    It appears(?) there is an EP out there?
    https://jimi-hendrix.servidor-alican...28EP%2529.html

Who knows if that's really Jimmy James and the Blue Flames though. If you click the little blue "i" icon next to each song, they're each listed first as Curtis Knight recordings. They're probably just repackaged Curtis Knight. JJ&TBF were only together for three months, it seems, so it's probably unlikely they recorded.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 08-20-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Another one of those cheap albums I owned was the Chicago live set from Toronto 1969, a good performance, although not a very good recording.
    I have that. I have an Alice Cooper one from the same series.

Some of that Toronto stuff has also done the rounds, for sure. Chuck Berry is another one that springs to mind.

Some of that Toronto stuff has also done the rounds, for sure. Chuck Berry is another one that springs to mind.
    One can presume it's all filmed, too, since The Plastic Ono Band was.

Watching the extras on the 2009 release and CCR really tear it up on 'Keep On Chooglin'. How did that stay in the can for so many decades??