Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ABCDEFG HIJK LPs on CD

Newcleus
    Specifically "Space is the Place"
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I'm glad I have TAAB on CDR now...
    But the sound quality on the remixed TAAB is like night and day versus the LP issue. It's just perverse to go through all the trouble of declicking an LP rip and not even get the good sound.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    But the sound quality on the remixed TAAB is like night and day versus the LP issue. It's just perverse to go through all the trouble of declicking an LP rip and not even get the good sound.
    well Robert, as it turned out, my TAAB was in great shape and didnt need much declicking. What it *did* need was a thorough remastering which is what I did. Now the tonality is perfect. Exactly as I would hope any remaster done by Steven Wilson or anyone else would sound. So I *got* the "good sound"
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I'll take that as an obvious vote for Nelson, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk View Post
    Newcleus
    Specifically "Space is the Place"
    you know I'm a HUGE fan of Funk music... but even *I* dont own a Newcleus album as lame as they were
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    So, what programs do you use to rip vinyl and "remaster" the file?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    So, what programs do you use to rip vinyl and "remaster" the file?
    well, it would take a loooong post to describe the process, as there are multiple levels
    without wanting to derail the thread (though I *would* be interested in a separate thread where Steven Wilson givesaway some of his secrets ) it has taken me 15 years of research combined with 'trial and error' to come to my current process which I (and many others who have heard my work) am quite happy with.

The biggest element involved in creating a great remaster is being able to identify *precisely* which frequencies need adjustment. A 20 band spectrum analyzer and a good digital parametric equalizer, combined with the knowledge of frequency range and octave widths are absolute musts.

back to the subject of the thread...

one vote for Bill Nelson as 'the most in need of remastering' from this N list so far...

Mark Nauseef (including Dark)
    Bill Nelson
    The New Birth
    New York Mary
    The Nite-Liters
    Gary Numan
    Nuova Era

you know I'm a HUGE fan of Funk music... but even *I* dont own a Newcleus album as lame as they were
    Hey now.

I actually rather enjoyed them quite a bit. But you are correct in that I wasn't entirely serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk View Post
    Hey now.
    sounds like a weak Kraftwerk ripoff

have you heard The Nite-Liters? They were really cool

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    If I was doing this I'd probably base it partly on what I felt was the most important to archive first. So in this case I would choose Tull too.

BTW, though, Jethro Tull should really be under J, shouldn't it? Since it's not actually by a person with whom you'd file it under Tull, Jethro, but a band called Jethro Tull. Just like Molly Hatchet wouldn't go under H.

Just sayin'.
    But if Lynyrd Skynyrd used the real name of their school teacher in Florida would they be filed under S??

MT -- "weak Kraftwerk ripoff" -- you mean, like Planet Rock?
    have you heard The Nite-Liters? They were really cool
    No, but I'll check them out. Do you follow anything on the Dap-Tone label (Sharon Jones, Budos Band, Charles Bradley, et al)? More soul than funk, but very with keeping with the values of that era (analog recording, releasing on vinyl, etc.).

Feel free to suggest any other funk bands of that era, I actually know very little. Instant Funk, and Parliament/Funkadelic/George Clinton (which weren't entirely funk) and...uh...that's about it.

there were a few musicians of African heritage who did both Funk and Afro Prog (Rock mixed progressively with Jazz and African elements = Afro Prog) who sadly just get stereotyped as regular Funk bands...

but aside from those few, there are many great artists who created just Funk music with the occasional Soul ballad like The Isley Brothers (whom I remastered when I was doing the letter I) and The Bar-Kays, James Brown and Cameo (Instant Funk came later like The Dazz Band who also did some great Funk)

The Bar-Kays actually did a handful of Afro Prog tunes in the early 70s but weren't nearly as Prog-y as Mandrill, Funkadelic, War, Osibisa, et al. My recco is start with some early 70s Bar-Kays

Thanks!

just putting the finishing touch on the first 4 Nucleus albums now... boy did those albums need remastering!

will anyone make a case for the other N artist?
    tell me why you think your N artist from the list above deserves to be digitally remastered?

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    But if Lynyrd Skynyrd used the real name of their school teacher in Florida would they be filed under S??
    Yes, they would be filed under S for "Sued."

just putting the finishing touch on the first 4 Nucleus albums now... boy did those albums need remastering!

will anyone make a case for the other N artist?
    tell me why you think your N artist from the list above deserves to be digitally remastered?
    I don't think that Gary Numan or Nuova Era are in great need of remastering, so...One of the others?

I'm itchin to do The Nite-Liters but since no one has heard of them I'm stickin to the plan

looks like Bill Nelson at this point
    Red Noise
    and
    The Two-Fold Aspect of Everything
    are the ones I have on vinyl

so... having completely digitally remastered the first 4 Nucleus albums (and boy did they need it)
    I'm playing Bill Nelson's Two-Fold Aspect of Everything and I'm surprised at how New Wave it is.

I suppose I should have expected what I'm hearing, but I seemed to remember more instrumental stuff... perhaps that's in some trade CDRs I have in storage...
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 04-24-2015 at 02:01 AM.

finally finished Bill Nelson... what a major undertaking that was
    now on to O

these are the 'O' artists I have on LP which I wont be buying on CD. I have a bunch more 'O' artists on CD dating after the record companies stopped making LPs in 1987.

as usual, this thread is in hope of getting you music fans' opinions on some lesser mentioned artists, so please make a case for any of the following artists
    Patrick O’Hearn
    Ohio Players
    Oingo Boingo
    Mike Oldfield
    One Way
    *already did Le Orme
    Osibisa
    Lee Oskar

I'm choosing Osibisa for the simple fact that Afro Prog isn't nearly as copious as Symph and Fusion bands... heck, there probably aren't as many Afro Prog bands as even a small style like Zeuhl or Canterbury!

Which would you chose and why?

Quote Originally Posted by MJBrady View Post
    are you taking suggestions?
    1-9:
    3pm - Better Late than Never
    Arabesque - Beyond the Veil
    Borne - 79
    Caldera - Time and Chance
    Den Za Den
    Drama - st fusion
    Egba-s.t
    Flying Island - 1975 -st
    Gomez, Ray - Volume
    Holding Pattern - Majestic
    Isotope 1974 ST
    Jacobs Dale_Cobra
    kinesis - new life\
    Laboratorium - nr 8
    Barry Miles & Silverlight - Sky Train
    Medusa - John Lee and Gerry Brown
    Nova - Vimana
    Ocean - God's Clown
    Prosper - 1975 - Broken Door
    Proteus - Infinite Change
    quiet sun 1975 - quiet sun
    Rager - Observations - 1990
    Sweetbottom - s_t
    Troiano Band, Domenic - The Joke's on Me
    Uni Sono - 1975
    Visitor 2035 - st 78
    Watts, Ernie - Look In Your Heart
    XSavior - Caleidoscope
    Yezda urfa - Boris
    Zao - Kawana
    hey MJ, sorry I didn't get to this sooner... of that excellent list I've done digital remasters from vinyl of:
    3pm - Better Late than Never
    Caldera - Time and Chance
    Den Za Den
    Drama - st fusion
    Egba-s.t
    Flying Island - 1975 -st
    Isotope 1974 ST
    Barry Miles & Silverlight - Sky Train
    Sweetbottom - s_t
    Troiano Band, Domenic - The Joke's on Me
    Uni Sono - 1975
    Visitor 2035 - st 78
    Zao - Kawana

I need to get to the Quiet Sun for sure though

"Remixing" an LP album for CD-R is an odd obsession -- I know, I've done a couple hundred of them myself -- but to do it for albums that *have* been officially released on CD is just perverse.

For one thing, it takes at least a month to declick and correct the frequency balance and try to restore the squashed dynamic range of LPs. My time is free, but even I have a hard time justifying a month over a $10 CD.

Secondly, even the best CD-R transfer can be only marginally better than the source. You can't work miracles. Some -- most? -- CDs have improved sonics (or at least should).

As to removing duff tracks, I do that all the time -- but I use a CD master to get the best quality possible.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I use a CD master to get the best quality possible.
    of course you are entitled to your opinion Robert. As for me, the sound of LPs is vastly superior to the sound of CDs. So here I am getting the best of both worlds; I am capturing the intangible sound of the stylus/LP synergy *and* I am making the albums sound even better than just playing the LP on an excellent stereo.

You are a digital lover and I am an analog lover, so naturally there is no amount of work worth preserving the sound of LPs for you. You trust the record company to make your CDs sound great, I do it myself better than they can. I can say that because I own CDs of albums which I originally remastered from LP and the difference is astounding. The commercial CDs never... never sound as good as the remasters from LP that I do as a labor of love.

This thread obviously offers nothing for those like you who are digital fanatics... and that's ok by me

Everybody has their own personal choice and preferences. We could start a thread about analog vs. digital but *this* thread is not about that.
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 04-24-2015 at 05:36 PM.

... so then, moving on to the letter P for those of us who think certain albums (or artists) sound better on LP and/or just prefer the sound of LPs over CDs (this is NOT a thread to debate the issue, it is a thread for those who love the sound of LPs)
    Which artists from the *following list* would YOU choose as deserving of a thorough remastering?
    *DONE means that I've already remastered a substantial amount of that artist's work

Augustus Pablo
    Parliament
    Alan Parsons
    DONE Passport
    Jaco
    Kevin Peek
    Pere Ubu
    Anthony Phillips
    Simon Phillips (incl. RMS)
    Pigbag
    DONE Pink Floyd
    Pleasure
    Pekka Pohjola
    Planet P
    Noel Pointer
    DONE The Police
    DONE Ponty
    Cozy Powell
    The Pretenders

Pleasure (the band) ...anyone know them?
    I think they deserve the digital remaster treatment.
    They recorded their first album in 1974, just before the Disco craze began. Their earlier albums were definitely *not* slick R&B though. Their sound could be best described as a mix of Funk and Jazz, kinda like the early work of The Crusaders (not The Jazz Crusaders) though a bit more frenetic but also with excellent lead Guitar. I first got into them in 1980 with their fantastic album Future Now. Based on the excellence of Future Now, in the 80s I bought everything I could find by them and each album has a very different feel. A truly great unsung band!

Pekka Pohjola done
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 07-03-2015 at 03:53 AM.

which of the following artists either
    1) are not reissued on CD or
    2) are reissued on CD but the CD versions are flat and/or do not sound as good as the original LP

Quantum Jump
    Quella Vecchia Locanda
    Quiet Sun