Page 25 of 147 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125 ... LastLast

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Thanks Reid and Mo for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    The Blackwell is required, the Cyrille is worth it for Metamusicians' Stomp alone (and look for What About as well), and the Abrams is hip, but you need Young At Heart/Wise In Time and Levels and Degrees of Light.

Hemphill, Murray, Lewis, Waldron, Pullen, Adams, and Lake should go on your wish list
    I've been recommended Levels & Degrees before, but it seems to be OOP. I'll look for the others.

And everything I've heard with George Lewis on it has been great...didn't realize he had one of these things out. Will definitely get that one at some point. I'll investigate those other ones too, thanks.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    ECM is releasing a Jack DeJohnette session,Made In Chicago, in January.Muhal Richard Abrams, Roscoe Mitchell,Henry Threadgill,Larry Grey(a Chicago based double bass player)and DeJohnette are on board.

Sounds promising.
    Definitely on my radar. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I've been recommended Levels & Degrees before, but it seems to be OOP. I'll look for the others.
    Used copies start at $8.73 on Amazon and $7.00 on Discogs. And Jazz Record Mart - the store owned by Delmark Records - has new copies for $11.99, which would imply that it it isn't OOP.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    Used copies start at $8.73 on Amazon and $7.00 on Discogs. And Jazz Record Mart - the store owned by Delmark Records - has new copies for $11.99, which would imply that it it isn't OOP.
    Oh, well that's good news. I just assumed since everywhere I usually buy from doesn't have it currently. Thanks for the heads up.

In no particular order, most of my faves for '14:

Steve Lehman - Mise En Abime
    Tyshawn Sorey - Alloy
    Black Host - Life In the Sugar Candle Mines
    Angles 9 - Injuries
    Trio 3 + Vijay Iyer - Wiring
    Wadada Leo Smith - The Great Lakes Suites
    Dan Weiss - Fourteen
    Marc Ribot - Live at the Village Vanguard
    John Escreet - Sound, Space and Structures
    Nucleus w/Leon Thomas - Live 1970
    Eric Revis - In Memory Of Things Yet Seen
    Jon Irabagon - It Takes All Kinds
    Gary Smulyan - Bella Napoli
    Last edited by mogrooves; 12-31-2014 at 11:07 PM.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I heard a track by this guy a couple of days ago on Chicago's only jazz radio station, WDCB. I'd never heard of him, but I'll admit that I'm as out of the loop with current jazz as I am with current prog. Anyway, I like his playing and his tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I heard a track by this guy a couple of days ago on Chicago's only jazz radio station, WDCB. I'd never heard of him, but I'll admit that I'm as out of the loop with current jazz as I am with current prog. Anyway, I like his playing and his tunes.

Let me give a second shout-out for Jonathan. You can read my review of some of his music here.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    You can read my review of some of his music here.
    Thanks, John! Funny you should mention Adam Rogers, because he reminds me of him a bit. If I were to choose one, which do you recommend?

Funny you should mention Adam Rogers, because he reminds me of him a bit. If I were to choose one, which do you recommend?
    Adam. Kriesberg is a bit "lite" for me. Check out Miles Okazaki and Travis Reuter, as relatively new guys on the scene.
    Last edited by mogrooves; 12-20-2014 at 01:21 PM.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Adam. Kriesberg is a bit "lite" for me.
    That's funny! I meant which Kreisberg album. But I'd give Adam the edge over him too. Will look into those other guys you mentioned when I get a chance.

I like Jonathan Kreisberg's sound. Never heard of him before, but he seem to have a pretty solid set of releases. Will need to check him out further. Thanks.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Nucleus w/Leon Thomas - Live 1970
    Gotta get that because it's Nucleus, but I'm not sure I can take Leon's yodeling over an entire album.

Adam. Kriesberg is a bit "lite" for me. Check out Miles Okazaki and Travis Reuter, as relatively new guys on the scene.
    Depends on the album. I think his last couple of group albums have been anything but lite. But I'll give a second shoutout for the very undervalued Okazaki. His trilogy was simply fantastic, even if I only reviewed one of them.

Thanks, John! Funny you should mention Adam Rogers, because he reminds me of him a bit. If I were to choose one, which do you recommend?
    Jonathan is about 10-15 years younger, and I'd say there's little doubt that Rogers was an influence on him when he was coming up.

I saw Rogers two years ago in Montreal with Ravi Coltrane, who usually plays with pianists, and it was great to hear him stretch into new territory. (Obviously) A completely different sound for Coltrane, and Rogers was absolutely stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I like Jonathan Kreisberg's sound.
    Me too; it's a very refined take on the traditional "big box archtop" sound.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I saw Rogers two years ago in Montreal with Ravi Coltrane, who usually plays with pianists, and it was great to hear him stretch into new territory. (Obviously) A completely different sound for Coltrane, and Rogers was absolutely stunning.
    I saw him with Michael Brecker, touring in support of the "Time is of the Essence" album. Hadn't heard of him before, but he sounded fantastic! I sort of think of him as a more modern Pat Martino. Of course he's got that other side; the jazz-rock fusion one as witnessed on the old Lost Tribe albums.

I remember early on when Jonathan Kreisberg had a prog metal band. They weren't very good and I think I turned them down after receiving their demo.

He moved to NYC and completely reinvented himself as a straight ahead jazz guitarist. Seems to have met with quite a bit of success.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Joe Harriott-Amancio D'Silva Quartet-Hum Dono. This 1969 session is finally out on cd, and its about fucking time.Harriott on alto sax,D'Silva on guitar, Dave Green-bass,Bryan Spring-drums.Norma Winstone on vox on a few tracks, Ian Carr on flugelhorn on a couple of tracks. Here's a cut from Hum Dono.Out on Dutton Vocalion records, who usually do reissues well.My copy is in the mail to me.
    Always enjoyed Harriott's involvment in Indo-Jazz Fusion, whether with D'Silva or John Mayer... Surely this new reissue will be mine soon (love Winstone's vocals)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    One of THE missing Brit-Jazz classics, IMO. Our copies are on the way, so I haven't heard this reissue yet, but all the Vocalion reissues have been very well done, so I'm sure it will to too.
    Love Vocalion reissues, but the most awaited Brit-jazz reissue I'm waiting for will not be coming from them: NJO's Déjeuner Sur L'Herbe >> this will most likely come from Ardley's reissue organisation.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Gotta get that because it's Nucleus, but I'm not sure I can take Leon's yodeling over an entire album.
    Double (boot) album with mediocre sound, it's more of a "Leon Thomas sings Pharoah Sanders and solo stuff" with Nucleus as a back-up band... Still quite good (can it be bad with Nucleus anyway), but I wouldn't fork up big bucks (saw it for 27£ in London last month) for something that you can find on the web with much of a search...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I've got this playing right now because my wife demanded to hear some Christmas music. It's not what she had in mind but damn, this is just fine.

http://open.salon.com/blog/grahamneg...ve_never_heard
    Wow. What a find. Thanks!

just discovering this

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    I remember early on when Jonathan Kreisberg had a prog metal band. They weren't very good and I think I turned them down after receiving their demo.

He moved to NYC and completely reinvented himself as a straight ahead jazz guitarist. Seems to have met with quite a bit of success.
    Quite a bit may be pushing it a bit, but he's done ok. He's also moved away from being more straight-ahead, at least on his own records, and more into sort of Kurt Rosenwinkel/Adam Rogers territory. Modern mainstream would be a good term. He plays more in the centre when he plays with Dr. Lonnie Smith (good gig) but one of my favorite guest spots is his work in Joe Locke's Sticks and Strings group. They released one record in 2007, and it's well worth looking for. You can read my review here.

Just discovered this:

and this:
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Check out Miles Okazaki and Travis Reuter, as relatively new guys on the scene.
    Well, I did. Either they're too modern or I'm too square, probably the latter. I just like to hear some semblance of jazz tradition in there somewhere. Adam Rogers has that while still sounding modern, at least to me. These guys hardly suck; it's just too dissonant and devoid of lyricism for me. YMMV. Here they are together:

^^^
    Love the rhythm section! That drummer is great! Really didn't even need the horns.

Anyone see that movie Whiplash? I heard this interview on NPR yesterday and it sounds fascinating. Of course being we live in a remote rural area I won't be able to see this until it streams on Amazon or Netflix.

http://www.npr.org/2014/12/23/372729...ie-about-music
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart